Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disband the Irish hockey teams.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

jubbly wrote:
    I have no problem with rugby btw. It plays the Irish national anthem, flys the flag and even takes a handshake from our president.

No they don't. They play only Irelands Call at all internationals apart from ones in Lansdowne Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

jubbly wrote:
    …. I am personally proud of the Irish national anthem. I like the fact that we use Irish words instead of some wishy washy English version - Irelands call -which sounds all airy fairy, middle class and lackluster….

Have to agree with you on that ‘jubbly’.

I have no support for both the Irish rugby team or the Irish hockey team because they do not represent my country, i.e. The Republic of Ireland.
    The only Irish team I support is the soccer team because they represent the ROI; they play the national anthem and fly the national flag.
    The best move the FAI ever made was their first back in the 1920s when they broke away from the northern dominated IFA.

Hockey and rugby can play all the songs they like and fly the Jolly Roger for all I care; as long as they represent ‘Ireland’ they could be Mongolia in my eyes.

On the other hand , and this may been seen as hypocritical, I have no problem with a team representing Ireland playing in Compromise Rules v Australia or shinty v Scotland.
    Firstly these games are just exhibitions and secondly the people from the north that play in them recognize both the anthem and the flag and have no issues with either.
    The only issue I have with northern GAA teams is the brutal level they have brought football down to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

jubbly wrote:
    Yes of course I did. I support anyone who is representing my country regardless of race, nationality, sex, etc. Thats not the problem.

The problem is with the few people who have hijacked hockey and hijacked the hockey team that used to represent Ireland. We used to have an Irish team. Now we dont. I cant accept this. It all boils down to a few key points :

A number of Unionist people in Northern Ireland play hockey. They dont have enough people to compete for Northern Ireland on the world stage. So they decided to join together with Ireland exclusively on their terms . They took the players from here and gave us the sh1t end of the stick. Its their warped idea of a all island hockey team. One that plays for two countries with no form of idenity. it might as well be called Atlantis out there because all the results are meaningless.

So what if they win the European Championship. Its not us out there.

If people from the republic of ireland tried to over take the northern ireland soccer team 20 years ago there would be civil war. Imagine us trying to tell them, not to play god save the queen, no british flags and no Northern Irish jersey. Its their right to represent their country.

ReefBreak, Im not a republican. Im sorry that you feel embarassed. Im just pointing out something that wouldnt be acceptable in any other country in Europe.

Can you provide any evidence of this hijacking and when they decided to join with us.

wow....i actually can't argue with you at all. There is no logic there at all. :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just out of interest, how do you feel about the European Ryder Cup team? After all they are representing Ireland, but then they let all them foreigners join in as well, I hear that there is even some English people on the team. :eek: And what about the flag that they use, thats only got 12 stars on it I think but are there not 25 countries in the EU now. Which one of those stars is for Ireland? They should change it to be a green one just so that everybody knows. And as for using that Beethoven tune as the 'anthem'.

You'll be pleased to know though that there will probably never be a whole Ireland soccer team though, as that would mean that the FA, SFA, FAW and IFA would have to give up their seats on FIFA and I doubt they would like that idea.

"I'm all for change and integration, so long as its the other guys that do all of the changing and integrating to our way of doing things."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Amhran na bhFiann doesn't rouse me at all I have to say. It's because I know the words and their translation, but because Irish isn't my native tongue, the meaning behind those words will forever be lost on me. An english anthem would convey all it's meaning to everyone on the island.

I don't see what France has to do with this, they all speak french so of course their anthem should be french.

Guys, just realise that we have a unique situation here on this island and sometimes inclusion means sacrificing things we like. 3000 dead people in NI might be alive today if people had been more inclusive for the past 80 years. I take my international soccer seriously, but it's just a game at the end of the day. It's not worth dividing ourselves over it's symbols.

I have to agree that blue is a stupid colour for the hockey team. All irish teams play in green, even NI's soccer team. It's internationaly recognised as being of the island of Ireland.

NI's anthem is much nicer than RoI's too and the air it uses is recognised by millions of people around the world as being from Ireland (even though it was written by an english bloke with no irish connections!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hill16

Unionists would be the first to tell you that majority rules. For the majority of people on this Island the soldiers song is their anthem.This is just another example of middle class Ireland bending over backwards to apease Unionists who are a minority. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

Victor wrote:
    But realise that Amhrán na bhFiann is a Free State anthem (adopted 1926) and not a true 32-county real-Ireland anthem.

I’m not calling for any 32 county "real" Ireland anthem. I want my own country and culture represented at an international level. Nothing else.
    Isn't hockey a foreign sport?
    what kind of a question is that ? Do you think I’m some kind of Provo republican ? Well I am a republican but in the same sense as is Mc Dowell. I’m happy with the Irish republic and republican values (constitutionally)
    Then what do we have? Why are you complaining about this team if it isn't even the Irish team?

What am I complaining about ?? well, the national team was hijacked and now there is no national team. There is a team who plays in green (for the short term) has no anthem or flag associated with it but trades under the name "Ireland". That’s what I’m complaining about.

If people can’t consider themselves Irish then fine. However they want to play for "Ireland" and want to remove all traces of Irishness. Its ludicrous . This is the point I’m making. Why play for an organisation when you cant associate yourself with the very organisation you are playing for ??

I really can’t get my head around this idea. What do they intend to put in its place? Northern Irish culture?? Make up some new flag and song? It’s not like its to our benefit. Were in a lose lose situation. They just took everything away - players, flags, anthem etc. It should be the other way around. They can join us, not us join them. I’m proud of Irish teams playing internationally. I don’t want a new country. There is nothing wrong with this sovereign country.
    Well thats the problem, isn't is - H.A.T.E.

go and read what i posted . I hate the clubs because of the whole bigitory that is involved. It’s nothing to do with football.
    Are you fluent in Irish? Do you play hockey? Or rugby?
    That’s irrelevant to the topic.
    No they don't. They play only Irelands Call at all internationals apart from ones in Lansdowne Road.

That’s good enough for me, coupled with the fact that the Irish flag is allowed to be flown, the president shakes players hand etc. They didn’t come in and say ok we want to play under the name "Ireland" but by the way we want to bin all your culture and values associated with Ireland. I would have liked the Irish national anthem to be played away from home. Its defintely a big loss but Im willing to make allowances for a largely Protestant (British) people minority.

murphaph, If anyone wants to play for Ireland, where ever they are from then fine. As long as they accept Irish values in sport, accept the country etc. Coming along with their own views and trying to impose them on us is not on IMO. It’s a small minority of middle class people who think they can do this. They can’t. This is Ireland. I’m happy with the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I'm not quite sure what the big deal is ... it isn't the Republic of Ireland hockey team, why would it sing the Republic of Ireland national anthem? You would have a whole load of people singing a national anthem that doesn't belong to them or the team they play for. As someone has already pointed out, do you think they should be singing "God save the Queen" when they play matches in Belfast? Think the players from the Republic would find that as offensive as asking the players from N.I to sing the Republic anthem.

Instead of demanding that the Ireland (as in the island of Ireland) hockey team be disbanded, maybe you should ask why we don't have a Republic of Ireland hockey team? As far as I know it is because the pool of good players is too small, and it gets a lot bigger when you include the North. So really is it worth having a sh*t team all of our own who sing the Republic anthem, or having a good team made up of players from the whole Island?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

Cant we all just get along?...............no? oh ok then. i think that its a simple fact that the hockey and to a lesser extent rugby teams are "less irish" then say the soccer team
    I feel its not patriotic to support a team that is obviously moving away from its own identity, it is blatantly obvious that the team is made up of (unfortunately)two countries on the one island and that it should not represent one of them only. It should not be seen as the ROI team or a UK team but if it is going to call itself ireland it should wear the islands' colour (definitely not blue)

I dont like the way in which people who express a strong interest in a unified Ireland are seen as having a politically incorrect opinion.
    Even if certain "elements" of society like to allign themselves to the opinion and bring it down, people cannot and should not distort the reasoning behind it as being simple racism,hatred or bigotry.

When people see national teams lose there identity they are bound to get annoyed - even if they dont give a flying **** about hockey as a sport

So really is it worth having a sh*t team all of our own who sing the Republic anthem, or having a good team made up of players from the whole Island?

A bad team which will get better who is proud to represent your country ? Or a team that has nothing to do with your country, playing international hockey for the benefit of a minority. I would take the former please. At least I can see its Ireland playing out there.

The least the hockey team could do is follow rubgys example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Hercule wrote:
    i think that its a simple fact that the hockey and to a lesser extent rugby teams are "less irish" then say the soccer team

huh?

how are they less "irish"?

I think I will give up on this topic. Obviosuly everyone is happy with the new "ireland" team.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

So when was the last time the Republic played the North in hockey anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

how are they less "irish"?

ah, this brings up a scary "what it means to be irish" topic
    i suppose for some people the definition of being irish effects my original statement

on a basic level i think a team that moves away from wearing green or singing the national anthem is making itself less irish by my own definition but maybe not by others - im not saying that we should purge the foreign games and make sure our international teams are full of provos but that a team that wants to represent me and get my support should actually represent me (if ya know wat i mean)

This topic is scary an I want to go home now.

How about considering the rugby and hockey teams that play under the name of Ireland as being equivalent to the Unified Team, or whatever they called themselves, that represented the former Soviet countries in the 1992 Olympics, I think it was '92 anyway.

Its just the process is curently potentially heading in the oposite direction from what was happening there at the time.

And dont accuse someone else of having used a majority rules type system, that you clearly don't like, and then go and attempt to make exactly the same mistake as they made.

robinph wrote:
    How about considering the rugby and hockey teams that play under the name of Ireland as being equivalent to the Unified Team, or whatever they called themselves, that represented the former Soviet countries in the 1992 Olympics, I think it was '92 anyway.
    'Twas called the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS). Ah, memories.

Show of hands for Danny Boy to be the new all island of Ireland anthem. Has a nice tune that everyone knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

Amazing you's swear the Republic of Ireland has a green flag. It's Green white and orange.

Why not orange jersey's? anyone?It's one of the colours on our flag. Are people not proud of all of the flag of the Irish republic??

The Republic of Ireland don't have a hockey team.
    Just like we don't have a rugby team.
    The island of Ireland does
    ( the rugby team was at one time called the Eire and northern Ireland
    Why should these combined teams play one nationial anthem.
    If the team was mostly from the north then should we play God save the queen.( The Irish rugby team has had 12 players from ulster )
    It's either both or none.

Jubbly. Has the Team realy nothing to do with you. A team made up of players from your Island. Does the european team for the ryder Cup have nothing to do with you.??

Hercule. Less Irish thatn the Soccer team, who all live in England, A lot of them wer born there too, not as many as beofre but still a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Sherlock

Whats this about Irelands call being played at all Ireland games except at Lansdowne Road, when was it not played at Lansdowne before an international?. Is this whole thread a troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

Sherlock
    Irelands call is played before all of the Irish Rugby Teams matches. home or away.

In landsdown road they also play The Soldiers song, well some of it anyway.
    For Home Internationals in NIthey aparently play God Save the Queen( I can;t verify as I've never been at one)

• Advertisement

Sherlock wrote:
    Whats this about Irelands call being played at all Ireland games except at Lansdowne Road, when was it not played at Lansdowne before an international?. Is this whole thread a troll?

Irelands Call is played at all Irish rugby international matches anywhere. Amhrán na bhFiann is only played before Irish rugby internationals in the Republic of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

Ireland's call is played in Landesdowne Road
    All the rugby international matches whether home or away get "Ireland's Call".
    So in the 6 Nations, Amhran na bhFiann is only ever played in Landesdowne Rd, never in Murrayfield, Twickenham, Stade de France, Millennium Statium or the Stadio Flaminio.
    So there are three anthems at a home match in Landesdowne Road, and two everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

murphaph wrote:
    Show of hands for Danny Boy to be the new all island of Ireland anthem. Has a nice tune that everyone knows.

I hope you're joking. It has to be the most miserable piece of music going. :) Something else, please.

Calina wrote:
    I hope you're joking. It has to be the most miserable piece of music going. :) Something else, please.
    Ok, but the Londonderry air music is very recogniasably irish and everyone, absolutely everyone in the western world knows the tune. New words could be penned! Aren't most national anthems sort of miserable-they usually go on about how they were horribly treated by some waring party before chopping their heads off with much vitriol :D

It's just an idea. Ireland's call is ok to me, but it's just a tad repetitive, though I suppose the intention was be that everyone would catch it fast and sing it loud, and they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Hercule wrote:
    ah, this brings up a scary "what it means to be irish" topic
    i suppose for some people the definition of being irish effects my original statement
    So basically you and Jubbly are throwing your toys out of the pram because the team isnt irish by your definition - regardless of what anyone else thinks. - Including the team themselves presumably. Infact if the team is willing to do it - whats it got to do with you?

How on earth are NI and the Republic ever going to unite if opinions like your's hold sway? Without compromise there can be no inclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

Free Staters sold out long ago.

The actions of the hockey team, soccer team, this topic doesn;'t surprise me one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Free Staters sold out long ago.

And how grateful we are. :D

• Advertisement

hopefully there will never be a 32 county republic on this island. It would be a sell out.

Advertisement