Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disband the Irish hockey teams.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Free Staters sold out long ago.

The actions of the hockey team, soccer team, this topic doesn;'t surprise me one bit.
    And people wonder why we hate nordies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Show of hands for Danny Boy to be the new all island of Ireland anthem. Has a nice tune that everyone knows.

Jesus...no wonder this country is going down the toliet. There is no more pride in ireland today unfortuately.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bang_bang_rosie

jubbly wrote:
    hopefully there will never be a 32 county republic on this island. It would be a sell out.

And people wonder why we hate nordies. Posted by reef break.

What the real problem is here is bigotry, not hockey or the Anthem etc. :mad:

Political correctness is all gone A-wall, I agree with you there, but Ireland (The Island) is a tricky, delicate situation, and sometimes the people in charge will try to please the loud minority.
    But I'd say most opposing countries would realise it's Ireland. I mean would you care/notice if Germany played in purple?

Rememeber that approximately 50% of people in Northern Ireland consider themselves Irish, and actually are!!!!!! :eek: (mind you I realise that very few of them are playing Hockey).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

jank wrote:
    Jesus...no wonder this country is going down the toliet. There is no more pride in ireland today unfortuately.
    Ah yes, pride. All great countries are proud of themselves, shur'n weren't we a great little country at one time ourselves :rolleyes:

In anycase, I assume you were refering to Ireland, whereas I was refering to the island of Ireland, a 'sporting' anthem so to speak. Amhran na bhFiann can remain the official national anthem of Ireland, however it would surely have to be changed if irish unity was ever seriously being proposed (unlikely on both counts).

Ah yes, pride. All great countries are proud of themselves, shur'n weren't we a great little country at one time ourselves

See thats the bull**** answer i was expecting from but you the whole arent we great wont wash with a lot of people any more.

Its also intersting that you dont post in the soccer forum, or at least I havent seen you yet your a big soccer fan?

Ireland's call is a load of bollox too, any rubgy fan will tell you that

However I agree that once there is a united ireland the national anthem will have to change too.
    Maybe we can put forward Danny Boy :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

I'm a rugby fan and I thin Irelands call is great.

Go up to the near the schoolboys sectin for an international match and you'll hear them bellow it out.
    sounds great

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Politics should never have a place in sport. Who gives a toss whether it's the national anthem or ireland's call that is sung. Are you there to listen to the music or watch a rugby match? I for one hate our national anthem. It's outdated and bigotted. There will never be a United Ireland and I for 1 never want it. Why can't we all just get along and get on with living our lives and enjoying the time we have on this planet. You only get one crack at it so why spend it fighting for something you only fight for because you think you have to. I don't care what sport it is, I will always shout for Ireland, whether it's Ireland or the Rep. of Ireland. At the end of the day, we're all Irish on this Island!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

I'm a rugby fan and I thin Irelands call is great.

Go up to the near the schoolboys sectin for an international match and you'll hear them bellow it out.
    sounds great

Its so cheesy it makes me sick. I never join into it and the only people I know sing it and think its great is northern protestants when i meet them for the 6 nations.

You can scream the national anthem and its really rousing, the other irelands call sounds ilke a pop song, plastic fake and crap. Just wait till Ireland play France and hear the atmosphere when we sing it.

jank wrote:
    See thats the bull**** answer i was expecting from but you the whole arent we great wont wash with a lot of people any more.
    I assume you meant to say "from you, but". Anyway, I see the original post flew over your head. Forget it, I'm not gonna explain it to ya :p
    jank wrote:
    Its also intersting that you dont post in the soccer forum, or at least I havent seen you yet your a big soccer fan?
    Big fan of International soccer. Have only missed 2 home competitive fixtures since 1986 (Eoin Hand was still manager when I started goin). Missed the odd friendly too due to other commitments more serious than a mere game. No interest in British domestic soccer or Serie A or any of that really. My dad played reserves for Bohs in the late 50's, hardly a claim to fame but there you go. Is that ok with you?
    jank wrote:
    Ireland's call is a load of bollox too, any rubgy fan will tell you that
    And the rugby fan who posted directly after you said it's good, so your statement above is complete hogwash.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

jubbly wrote:
    Its so cheesy it makes me sick. I never join into it and the only people I know sing it and think its great is northern protestants when i meet them for the 6 nations.

You can scream the national anthem and its really rousing, the other irelands call sounds ilke a pop song, plastic fake and crap. Just wait till Ireland play France and hear the atmosphere when we sing it.

you can scream Irelands call out.
    How ,many people actuall know the words to the National Anthem, In Irish or Englih. A lot less than know the words to Irelands call.

I was on a stag in newcastle for the Ireland welsh game. We were watching the game with about 20 wels lads, who were roaring out All the celtic anthems. It sounded bloody brilliant.

The reason it sounds crap in Landsdown road is because people like jubbly won;t sing it. If everybody sang it it would sound great.

P.S. I'm not a norther Protestant, I am neither, I'm a catholic from Cork , not that that makes any difference

• Advertisement

Its a **** song. Full stop

jank wrote:
    Its a **** song. Full stop
    Does *-*-*-*==B-R-I-L by any chance? :p

Only in your pop fantastic world murph

Ah, just 'jankin' your chain! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 KieranusTyranus

Having pride in your country must be the first sign of madness.

Seriously Im disgusted by some of the westbrits who post on this site. If Ireland ever changes its national anthem to Irelands ****ing call ill leave the country.

Having pride in your country must be the first sign of madness.

Seriously Im disgusted by some of the westbrits who post on this site. If Ireland ever changes its national anthem to Irelands ****ing call ill leave the country.
    Learn to use an apostrophe while you're away :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭cal29

murphaph wrote:
    Learn to use an apostrophe while you're away :D

The grammar police are back.

cal29 wrote:
    The grammar police are back.
    Punctuation police, actually. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

If Ireland ever changes its national anthem to Irelands ****ing call ill leave the country.

Sounds like a great reason to change it then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 KieranusTyranus

Why was the guy who started this thread banned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

it was a second account for a user who had previously been sitebanned for acting like a tool and pm'ing abuse at other users.

amazed he lasted as long as he did....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

RuggieBear wrote:
    it was a second account for a user who had previously been sitebanned for acting like a tool and pm'ing abuse at other users.

amazed he lasted as long as he did....

So once your banned from boards.ie....bye bye and never return???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

zuma wrote:
    So once your banned from boards.ie....bye bye and never return???

I'm no authority on this...but if you mange to get site banned, it's pretty unlikely the admins will want you coming back. Doesn't mean the admins won't let you back but tis at their discretion

Advertisement