Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-activating spare phone jacks for Broadband

• 30-08-2005 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭

I rent a room in a large house (a former office). There are multiple phone jacks around the building but only one pair (I think its usually an in/out pair) is still active. I'm thinking of activating the phone jacks in my room upstairs.

Anybody have any idea how long it takes/how difficult/(and especially) how much it costs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

DIY. Pickup some cat5 twisted pair from an electronics shop, try and get it cut instead of buying a whole box of it. Maplin as usually nice enough to cut it to measure.

All you have to remember is there are two active wires *usually red and green on your main box, but if not there will be two attached to the connector on your eircom main socket whatever colour, as L1 and L2*. There should then be and L1 and L2 on the opposite side *for extension lines*. Pop your two wires from the cat5 you bought onto their. Run it upstairs, may be some hole drilling along the way. Attach it to your socket upstairs as the same. And vola.

If you have to or want to burry the wire behind a wall I'd still do a DIY if I were you, coat hanger and a screwdriver does wonders. Its a waist of money to hire someone...

I state the above as why have a second line, with second line rental etc... Plus connections charges from Eircom aren't cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Robin1982

thank you

Advertisement