Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Changing Shape of the Irish Telecoms Landscape

Options
  • 30-08-2005 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

First Tuesday is having an event named as above.

Panel:

David McRedmond, Commercial Director - Eircom
    Oisin Fanning, CEO - Smart Telecom
    Sean Bolger, Managing Director - Imagine Communications Group
    Rory Jennings - Irish Broadband

Date: Tuesday September 13th
    Venue: Gandon Suite North, Davenport Hotel, Merrion Square, Dublin 2.
    Admission: Euro20

Suggested Topics (contributions welcome)

* Does legal regulation to open up ageing infrastructure discourage the rollout of new infrastructure. What is the effect of this on future services?

* Will the entry of Eircom into the mobile arena mean a less competitive range of services provided by the new fixed voice providers?

* How will a converged market play a critical part in generating revenues?

* Future services coming on stream.

I don't know if you need to be a member to go. The likes of Silicon Republic tends to go to these events so you'll get to hear the gist of it regardless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭din0saur

did anybody attend this discussion, brief write-up available here:

Regulator comes under fire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Uncle Fester!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

din0saur wrote:
    did anybody attend this discussion, brief write-up available here:

Regulator comes under fire

Half the industry were at this, as well as ComReg, DCMNR and other circa 200 persons.

Quality of speakers mixed from new entrants (Blueface, Digiweb), weak as watery tea.

Bolger and Flynn were good as usual.

McRedmond, Flynn and Bolger made the event to a large extent.

IBEC TIF industry group director Tommy McCabe was chairperson, clearly eircom are a subscriber to TIF.

These events are good for networking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 nickevan

sorry to intrude on discussion, new member just testing my first post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Go to Personal Issues next time or something.

Personally I thought McRedmond was weak. It was all "very exciting times, challenges ahead" type of stuff. Sean Bolger was very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

One more thing. I couldn't believe that nobody mentioned triple-play. That just shows how absolutely backwards the broadband market is in Ireland. FTTH got some mentioning along the lines of "it's years away". FTTH is not exactly revolutionary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

See Magnet have more PR out about their ADSL2 triple play in unbundled exchanges? Nice to see some moves in that direction, whether it works for them or not remains to be seen. PR is on ENN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

cgarvey wrote:
    PR is on ENN.

Bog all use. Who reads ENN and Silicon Republic? The converted. That's all. Neither gets quoted much in the general media either.

Neither Joe Public nor the nations 'movers and shakers' has heard of neither. And they're all that count.

Only when PR starts turning up in the IT, Irish Independent, Daily Star and Evening Herald (and mainstream radio & TV) will it start to count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Eh?

A press release is a press release regardless of where it's printed/who sees it. The fact that it's in your mentioned news papers doesn't matter a damn, no more than it does on ENN.

My point was that it's nice to see some movements in the triple play area. I don't see how your post compliments or negates that.

.cg

• Advertisement
Advertisement