Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek 11

• 30-08-2005 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭

....is provisionally titled Star Trek: The Beginning.

From IGN:
    Film is tentatively called The Beginning.

August 29, 2005 - Erik Jendresen, co-writer of the Band of Brothers miniseries, has turned in a script to Paramount for the next Star Trek feature film. According to Dreamwatch magazine and Trekweb, the movie is tentatively titled Star Trek: The Beginning; rather a bland title, but that could change if the project is greenlit for production.

"I'm excited about this project and I think the chances of it getting made are good," said Jendresen in an interview with the magazine. "It all depends on what the studio thinks, and Paramount has been through significant changes lately. But the people who are making the decisions are pretty responsible folk with a fine body of work behind them. So, we'll see. Right now, I'm optimistic."

The screenplay Jendresen has submitted is, as expected, a significant departure from previous Star Trek films. It takes place shortly after the television series Enterprise and doesn't star any of the Starfleet crew members familiar to viewers from the numerous Star Trek television shows. The story won't follow the usual captain-and-crew formula, either.

"We're looking at a very small group of men and women, particularly focusing on one character. There are a couple of ships, including a principal ship, but this is not a traditional captain and crew of a starship story in the least."

Another source of Star Trek news, CanMag, has their own scoop on Trek XI. They think Star Trek: Academy is another title under consideration, and that they might in fact give Enterprise's T'Pol an important part in the story. According to CanMag, the movie would be about the early days of Starfleet Academy – a story idea that has been discussed in previous Star Trek reports.

The same source also says that David Boreanaz, who starred in the TV series Angel, might be up for a part. However, the CanMag report must be treated as rumor for now; some details seem to conflict with Dreamwatch's interview with Jendresen.

According to Jendresen, the plot will center around a major event in the Trek storyline – the Romulan Wars, perhaps? Hopefully we'll get a better idea about the movie soon if and when Paramount decides to move forward with Star Trek: The Beginning.

A quick search of imdb, reveals that Erik Jendresen hasn't done many screenplays, which may or may not be a bad thing. He might be just what the franchise needs, a fresh perspective on things.

Hopefully they could work in a cameo from one or 2 of the better characters from Enterprise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I hope he doesn't change it too much, the underlying theme of Star Trek has always been one of a family of explorers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Star trek : the beginning? I guess if the film is about the romulan war it’s quite apt and should be interesting however if its called star trek: Academy then tbh im not optimistic no sane planet would put its cadets in harms way and would imho point to a boring film set mostly on earth bleh to that Also i cant believe anyone would want T'Pol in the film she’s frankly terrible who’s only acting “talent” is to constantly look on the verge of bursting into tears even considering anyone from the cast of enterprise apart from trip is just insane although having Mayweather just sitting their saying nothing for 1 and a half hours would be kind of funny.

What the hell was Mayweather first name anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Mayweather's first name is Mister... obviously. God that script, provisionally or not, sounds like ****e. Trek is well and truely being murdered, slowly but surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

bizmark wrote:
    What the hell was Mayweather first name anyway
    Travis. Must have been mentioned when you fell asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

It sounds like exploitation of a big name. After all STAR TREK is a synonym for successful series and movies and so far (at least the movies) managed to have a common theme in the sense that it was always about pulling together as a team and getting the job done.

What's the point in calling it STAR TREK and then doing something alien to it?? It surely is exploitation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hope its 15's, with lots of killing's in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

Hope its 18s

Star Trek has so much potential thats wasted on making it suitabel for kids.

Ohhh dear god people, if it changes format now it just simply won't be Star Trek anymore, and will just be exploitation of the name, as TJ has already pointed out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Whatever the film turns out to be lets hope it encompasses the best of the series, Trek 2,3,4,6 and 8, the rest were pretty bad as movies go. Us fans will put up with almost anything but the normal moviegoer is the ones to court and it has to be a good film regardless of the license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

What's the point in calling it STAR TREK and then doing something alien to it?? It surely is exploitation.[/QUOTE]

wasn't nemesis, the one with the clone originaly just entirely different a scfi that got star trekified.

• Advertisement

wasn't nemesis, the one with the clone originaly just entirely different a scfi that got star trekified.
    Clearly the only expectation we can have from you is for you to completely butcher the English language and not have a proper concept of how to construct a sentence that makes any sense.

I think I speak for everyone here sir when I say... to hell with our orders...

No sorry what I mean is: WHAT?!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

some punctuation wouldn't go astray for you either achilles

I never claimed to use proper punctuation :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

makes sense to me!

But I always thought that the films were hamstrung to some degree because they had to give every one of the main characters from the tv show a little bit of something to do, especially insurrection. Some of the best episodes in the various series concentrated on one character, such as the die hard episode with Picard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Tazzle wrote:
    some punctuation wouldn't go astray for you either achilles
    Start a sentence with a capital letter, and end it with a full stop dear.

azezil wrote:
    Start a sentence with a capital letter, and end it with a full stop dear.
    Azezil shockingly leaps to someone's defense. Is it really him, or a shapeshifter pretending he's nice? Tune in next week to find out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

What's the point in calling it STAR TREK and then doing something alien to it?? It surely is exploitation.

Surely with the failure of enterprize its self evident that the franchise is in desperate need of a change in direction? Its evolution not exploitation.

I for one would welcome someone doing something different with the universe. No-one has really attempted it since DS9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

We've seen the spaceships and huge intergalatic wars. I for one would like to see a series during the Dominion war where we consentrate on a combat unit like " Space above and beyond". Would love to see the ground war aspect of star trek including battle gear and ground / air vehicles.

Actually, a Series or Movie based on the non-canon 'Hazard Teams' of both Elite Force 1 & 2 would be interesting enough, get to see them going into extreme situations etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

what's with the serial comma az?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Achilles wrote:
    Ohhh dear god people, if it changes format now it just simply won't be Star Trek anymore, and will just be exploitation of the name, as TJ has already pointed out.
    If Star Trek with Kirk in it came out now, it'd be shown after 9pm.

the_syco wrote:
    If Star Trek with Kirk in it came out now, it'd be shown after 9pm.
    There's a jeriactric watershed now?

Advertisement