Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me is CAT5 multicore or not

Options
  • 30-08-2005 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

i am having a problem with cables which have been ran around a house that has just being built.An electrician ran CAT5 around the house for networking pcs and that is working fine. However i also got the electrician to run CAT5 cable for use as speaker cable . I have done this before with cat 5 by joining four of the eight wires together for the negative and positive terminals for the speakers. i have used CAT5 cable which has been multicore cable in each of the eight wires.
    The problem I have is that the cable in ran by the electrician in my house is CAT5e which has eight sinle core copper wires in it rather than multicore. is this the differnece between CAT5 and CAT5e. I am going to have to rerun cables. However for future reference what do i need to ask for if i want to run CAT5 cable with eight multicore wires.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

No difference in the cat 5 and cat5e! Cat 5e just has better tollerances and slightly better transfer rates. You can get it in either solid core or multi stranded. You need to specify to electrician you want the stranded stuff as most would use the solid core stuff....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, solid core cable is usually used for structured cabling jobs such as those that a leccy would install, and multistranded cores are normally used for short run patch cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Why didn't you just run speaker cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

electrician had a shed load of it said he would do it for cheap.

Advertisement