Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAN problem driving me up the wall...please help

Options
  • 30-08-2005 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Right. Have 2 Pcs:

1 - 3.4ghz p4 with 1gig ram and x800 XP sp2
    2 - 400mhz p2 with 328ram and Ati Rage Fury Pro (32mb model) win2000

Can play Quake III, Day of Defeat, Team Fortress and they work fine, 20 or so bots, for hours at a time. No problems there. Using standard crossover cable.

However, problem after problem when playing Unreal Tournament. Incidentally the ONLY game I really want to work. Had problem before, where the game would work for 10 minutes no problems, then the main pc would crash with some error message about winsock. Got this fixed with a program for xp.

Now, another problem. Again, game runs fine for anything from 5-20 minutes. Then the second pc (p2) says "connection failed". After that, both pc's have to be restarted for Ut to run correctly again for the few minutes before it crashes.

What an earth is causing this? Both versions of UT are patched the same, and it does work for a small while before encountering the problem.....someone please help me before I smash something! :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The original UT?

Didnt you need another program to work that in LAN?

Check UT support for a server EXE.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

But the thing is, it DOES work for about 15 minutes, before the connection fails on the seconadary joining pc....so damn annoying. Ill look into it anyway kdjac, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I rember having that problem also. I nevre got it fixed and I movde on to other games!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I have a reasonably cheap fix for you which works quite effectively for me, it only work for 2 PCs though

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=14
    buy a belkin 2 way parallel cable (2 male ends) the connection is easy to set up and is a LOT more reliable then using a seperate box or network kit, the pings are around 1ms-5ms(ish) all the time and the connection is perfectly stable - ive used this for more modern games like co-op SWAT 4 and older games like UT99 and Quake 3 arena wihtout a single problem

Advertisement