Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervised study?Yay or nay?

Options
  • 30-08-2005 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else doing this(If your school offers it off course)In my school its roughly 4.15pm - 6.00pm Mon-Thur.

I was thinking since this is my last year i might just do it.I probaly will study if i do go and it will leave little or no studying for home which is a good thing.Did any benifit from this or is it a waste?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I regret not doing it last year...so yeah I'd say do it, by the time you get home you'll have most if not all of your study done, also you're still in the study frame of mind if you start straight after school whereas if you went home you'd probably be too wrecked, not bothered by the time you got there. That was the case with me anyway and I'm repeating now so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

i did it in 5th year and i thought it woz great so i'm defo doing it again for 6th year! I'll get most of my homework done anyway...any study done there after that is a bonus...i can do the rest at home then!!!! ours is from approx 4pm-5:45pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

It's a good idea. My mentality on the matter is "I'm here for the next hour and a half, I may as well do something useful and actualy get something out of it" It's a better study enviroment than a house IMO becasue there's alot less distractions like TV's and computers. I tend to procastinate like there's no tomorrow when I'm at home.

Depending on your schools study policy and strictness of your supervisers it can be good and bad, teachers that tolerate talking/loud personal audio devices can have a very negative effect on study.

But I think it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

I suppose.Its great that we dont have to rush straight in at 4 so i can still go out for a smoke at 4 and go down shop.No supervised study on fridays which is better.But see the thing is i have about 7 study classes a week aswell so at certain times i wont have anyting to do because i have at least a study class a day which is 40min long but at least ill get everything done.

grimloch wrote:
    It's a good idea. My mentality on the matter is "I'm here for the next hour and a half, I may as well do something useful and actualy get something out of it" It's a better study enviroment than a house IMO becasue there's alot less distractions like TV's and computers. I tend to procastinate like there's no tomorrow when I'm at home.

Depending on your schools study policy and strictness of your supervisers it can be good and bad, teachers that tolerate talking/loud personal audio devices can have a very negative effect on study.

But I think it's worth it.

We can use our mp3 players which isnt much because i will use it anyway.Last year the Superviser was a teacher and was very strict but now thankfully hes gone this year so i dont kow who is going to replace him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Barrie wrote:
    We can use our mp3 players which isnt much because i will use it anyway.Last year the Superviser was a teacher and was very strict but now thankfully hes gone this year so i dont kow who is going to replace him.

I have no problems with mp3 players, I might occasionally use one myself. It's the eejits that have them up really loud and creates nothing more than a distraction for everyone that I have a problem about. Especially when the supervisor does feck-all about it.

The quieter a study hall is the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Barrie wrote:
    7 study classes a week aswell so at certain times i wont have anyting to do because i have at least a study class a day which is 40min long but at least ill get everything done.

are these study classes really study ones though? we had them and its just a time to mess or if your more of the mature type it was the chance to chat with your mates. It was never the enviorment for study. YOu might get a bit of homework done but that just leaves smetime to do a bit of study during the supervised one.

I`d recomend doing it for baisically alln the points already given, also its a good idea to get most of the study done during those two hours and then do your homework when you get home. Thats what I found anyway.

I wouldnt either be in favour of blasting my mp3 player but i would like somthing to listen to as i find it alot easier to study listening to music.

My first aim would be to get my homework done in study.People do tend to mess or chat in study but if i have no home work i would chat but wouldnt mess chatting keeps me sane :D And ill leave studying to After school study.Therefore il get my homework done in class study and studying done in after school study.This actually will take alot of stress of me at home so i can relax knowing i did do alot of studying that day and got my homework completed.
    Also it will minimize the books ill have to bring to and from school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Jenna

Do it. Do it! It worked for me. But don't bother with mp3s and turn off your mobile, otherwise its a waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

I did it for the second half of fifth year a bit pointless and money down the drain - i always just skipped it! This year however is different! I'm doing it again for the leaving but I know I will benefit! Do it!! Just don't write letters to your friends and stay away from colouring pencils! Thats what I'm going to do! :D

• Advertisement

I prefer to listen to my music it drowns out the silence and coughing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I did it, but by that time I was pretty tired -- and with medicine I'm on, I was shattered -- so I didn't get any work done. I'd struggle for a while and then end up nearly asleep on the desk, and when I'd get home I'd need to get the nap in; so really it was a waste for me. Others benefited, though, I was just tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If its a decent study atmosphere then yes, if its filled with selfish messers than no unless your prepared to kick up one hell of a stink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

I did it up until christmas in 6th year and it really got me into the studying mode. After that I needed books and things from home to study so it was easier to go home, Ours was from 4 until 7 and we still wouldnt have all our homework done nevermind study so i dont know how much you can get done in an hour and a half...?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I'd say check out first whether or not the supervisors are any good. If they make people be quiet, it's invaluable especially at the start of the year because it gets you into a routine - you'd do better without the music though because you're not going to have music with you in the exams, and it's better to study in conditions that are as exam-like as possible. However, if the supervisor is lax it can be a bit of a waste because you won't be able to concentrate at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

we've supervised study on friday too which i think is brill coz i wudnt do anything at home on a friday nite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Psychedelik

It's down to the individual, but I've always found I'm alot more productive studying at home as opposed to 'evening study'. If you can get focused and have a good routine, study at home works better. But it is great for getting homework out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I did it in third year and last year and have always found it good. The best is study on Friday - you get so much of the work for the weekend done and I never dreaded doing it because it was Friday and I wanted to go home and rest. This year I'll be doing Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 4-6pm. You can do 7-9pm in my school too, and some of the six years last year were doing 4 hrs of study on top of school most days. I definitely think thats way too much.

I always make sure to have some fruit or otherwise decent brain food to have during it, and my discman is an absolute necessity

I found out its going to be starting in two weeks oh darn :rolleyes:
    Im going to do it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Nay for me.

But I reckon it suits some and does'nt others like me. It all depends on the environment you like to study in or if theres nowhere quiet at home to study I'd say its the perfect solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Macka

Didn't work for me, I just got distracted too easily in school. Basically the sixth years have their own study room in my old school with no supervisors (I suppose to create a relaxed atmosphere to sudy in) and I found myself drifting out every now and again to go to the shop or play hakey sack or play football against the 3rd years etc etc

Advertisement