Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best fighting game controller?

Options
  • 30-08-2005 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭

ok well basically I am lookin for a controller for the ps2 or xbox for fighting games. I am into Street Fighter, capcom vs snk 2, soul calibur, tekken, virtua fighter 4 evo. the analog sticks tend to be quite poor except on the gamecube with soul calibur so recomendations for the others on ps2 or xbox would be great.

I have heard that nubytechs 15th anniversary street fighter controller is very good on the ps2 but not good on the xbox. but the lack of analog sticks means it would be useless for some things. I was thihking of picking it up. maybe.

i shall be gettin street fighter anniversary on xbox soon enough hopefully and was wondering what would be good for it on xbox.

i find the d-pad on the s controller to be good but very inaccurate. same with the ps2. it's too stiff though on ps2.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭PiZaRR-0

Get the namco stick, or hori ( they make namco's sticks ).

The best stick for tekken.

The one that come with the Tekken 5 collectors edition is excellent. Pity it wasnt released here but theres lots on ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

IMHO your best bet is to stick with the main controllers you get with the consoles as i have NEVER seen a third-party controller that i could not see a flaw with. Usually they either have unresponsive buttons,feel hollow,have stange button placing or are just uncomfortable to use over prolonged periods of use.
    Unless you are a complete purist you should stay away from the arcade sticks aswell as they offer nothing much over the regular controllers (unless you are a hardened arcade veteran in which case I guess you already own one :rolleyes: ). A few years ago when people were arguing the old Mega-drive -VS- Arcade conrollers debate the two were evenly matched in terms of pros and cons but now the PS2,xbox and to a lesser extent the gamecube controllers are more practical. I think the main feature people should utilise of these controllers is the ability to bind the back buttons to "throw" or "parry" which sets them above the arcade sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

One of them:

x_arcade_cen_500_3510.jpg

Single or dual model. Pricey, but worth it and you can use it with your PS/2, XBOX, GC, PC... (with the correct adapters)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hercule wrote:
    I think the main feature people should utilise of these controllers is the ability to bind the back buttons to "throw" or "parry" which sets them above the arcade sticks.

That there is called cheating. Even worse is programming special moves to one button. The best controller for fighting games was the japanese saturn controller. Best to get one of them and a convertor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

oh yea i forgot to mention i would be no good with an arcade stick really as i never really went to arcades.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Arcade sticks are far better especially for the capcom games. It takes a bit of getting used to though but once you do get it you will wonder how you survived on the gamepad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Seconded, Arcade sticks really are the way forward for any fighting games, playing as Zangief on an arcade is simply brilliant fun if you never really played him much before, all his moves are so easy and hes just a delight to play. Although outside of capcom games I have found arcade sticks a lot less of a necessity, Tekken is just as easy to play on a controller as it is on an arcade stick imo when you have the shoulder buttons set up right.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    oh yea i forgot to mention i would be no good with an arcade stick really as i never really went to arcades.

tssk, tssk... kids these days ;):D

You just try SC2 on your Gamecube with one of them bad X-Arcade boys, and then try & come back to tell me GC analogues are better :)

is that street fighter arcade stick supposed to be good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote:
    That there is called cheating. Even worse is programming special moves to one button. The best controller for fighting games was the japanese saturn controller. Best to get one of them and a convertor.

No need for adaptors: These are PS2 controllers

ambro25 wrote:
    One of them:

x_arcade_cen_500_3510.jpg

Single or dual model. Pricey, but worth it and you can use it with your PS/2, XBOX, GC, PC... (with the correct adapters)

I want that!!!!!!!!

kdjac

its hardly cheating binding two buttons to the one back button unless the person you are playing against doesnt - in which case you are a dishonourable - cheating woud be to give yourself a 150% handicap against somebody on default without them knowing. Besides games simply dont allow the binding of any complicated combo that would be worth using often. It wouldnt be a default feature in the game if it was a cheat.

I think that any game that requires you to perform quarter circles or half circles street fighter/king of fighters etc. with the d-pad is suited best to an arcade stick. but the modern 3d fighting games are a lot more based around timing,combinations and juggling not powering up and unleashing an energy blast with a complicated button-press sequence - so what you would want most is responsiveness and almost every arcade stick i have used i have found "sticky" or "hollow" im sure good ones are available but they cost an arm and a leg usually.

Hercule wrote:
    its hardly cheating binding two buttons to the one back button unless the person you are playing against doesnt - in which case you are a dishonourable - cheating woud be to give yourself a 150% handicap against somebody on default without them knowing. Besides games simply dont allow the binding of any complicated combo that would be worth using often. It wouldnt be a default feature in the game if it was a cheat.

It is when it's not available in the arcade version. It really wouldn't go down well in tournaments. pressing two buttons at once is sometimes as difficult as a quarter circle move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The XArcade sticks are naff. Nasty clone parts. Buttons are reasonable, but the stick itself is really indistinct. And the adaptors cost a ****ing fortune.

Best to got with a Hori stick (Namco, Soul Calibur 2, Tekken 5 sticks are all made by Hori).

hori-real-arcade-pro.jpg.

And you can get any PS2 to whatever adaptors much more cheaply than the x-arcade adaptors.

It is when it's not available in the arcade version.
    no not really, lowering difficulty settings or changing from 60hz-50hz makes the game easier but they are hardly considered cheats. For multiplayer i said its "dishonourable" in other words its not a secret cheat button sequence its something everyine knows about, something the developers put iin the game for a reason (who knows what that reason is though :D )
    It really wouldn't go down well in tournaments.

thats blatantly obvious it would be like bringing a joypad with autofire to an international track and field competition. Anyone who would try this would and should be soundly beaten in real life.

those plated HORI sticks look good but ive never actually used one

I suppose it's okay if the person you are playing against is okay with it. However I think you are missing out on a small part of the game using the multiple button binds. Anyone trying to use them against me will be laughed at.

Hori peripherals are fantastic and have excellent build quality. You can't really go wrong with a Hori controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ambro25 wrote:
    tssk, tssk... kids these days ;):D

You just try SC2 on your Gamecube with one of them bad X-Arcade boys, and then try & come back to tell me GC analogues are better :)
    funny how your using the gamecube as a example

The point of special moves is they meant to be hard binding them is the ultimate wuss mode, whats the point in pulling off a special move undewr pressure if all you had to do was press a button.

Blitz where you get that Hori stick? X stick looks good as its 2p.

kdjac

evad_lhorg wrote:
    is that street fighter arcade stick supposed to be good?

ahem!!!

• Advertisement

ffs was just looking at that street fighter stick on lik sang. it would cost €112 altogether with DHL shipping which is the cheapest shipping cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spodo Komodo

This one looks pretty good. Cheapest one they have.

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=22&products_id=7406&

1huge1 wrote:
    funny how your using the gamecube as a example

Why :confused: - don't follow you, sorry...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,449 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They had some special edition street fighter PS2 controllers in HMV the other day... they had a purty box, but I dont know what the actual controller is like... Probably just a dual shock 2 with Ryu poorly drawn onto it.

Those Street Fighter ones with the nice artwork are made by Nuby, an american company. Their sticks are incredibly ****. I think the pads are OK, but nothing to write home about.

As far as pads are concerned you can get Sega Saturn ones from http://www.liksang.com/

You can get them for PS2 or PC. I haven't bought one yet but they're next up on my list. I hear they're identical to the sublime originals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Andore

I use the Hori Real Arcade Pro stick for the ps2 with a magicbox converter for my xbox/dreamcast/pc. It's pricey but it's well worth the cash since it's very sturdy, feels great and you'll get a hell of a lot mileage with it between all the console games and using it for mame/kawaks.

Whatever you do don't get the x-arcade or sf anniversary stick. The first features input lag which makes it useless for fighters and the anniversary stick is of a poor build quality and way overpriced. You could also look into building your own for a lot less. Head over to shoryuken.com for guides on that. If you do get a stick head down to Atlantic Homecare and get a nice stand for it, that made all the difference for me.

I had never used a stick before the Hori and it took me a good while to get used to but once you do you'll never look back. Take for example Street Fighter 3, you're really limited by what you can do with a pad. With a stick though you can do all the high end stuff like kara cancels/throws and because you can drum your fingers and press loads of buttons at once you'll find ex and super moves easier. For Capcom Vs SNK 2 it makes stuff like roll cancelling a lot easier too.

Here's a pic of my stick setup:

stick9tl.th.jpg

If you've got any questions about using the stick ask :)

http://www3.sympatico.ca/mally-g/temp/index.html

Has anybody else seen the sticks Catch22 from the VF.com boards makes? I'd love to be able to build stuff like that.

roger.jpg

akira.jpg

And then there are Byrdo sticks. Yum.

http://www.byrdo.org/arcade_joysticks.htm

Ryu%20Stik1.jpg

Pink%20Sanwa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Those Street Fighter ones with the nice artwork are made by Nuby, an american company. Their sticks are incredibly ****. I think the pads are OK, but nothing to write home about.

As far as pads are concerned you can get Sega Saturn ones from http://www.liksang.com/

You can get them for PS2 or PC. I haven't bought one yet but they're next up on my list. I hear they're identical to the sublime originals.

I've got both the Street Fighter controller for the Xbox and the Sega Saturn controller for the PC, and recieved them at the same time.

The Sega Saturn controller completely overshadows the significantly bulkier Street Fighter type. It just feels so much better, possibly one of the nicest controllers I've used. It's perfect for fighting games, I'd go as far as saying it's better than the original arcade sticks.

So, Sega Saturn controller, highly recommended. If you need a fighting controller specifically for your Xbox, then the Street Fighter type seems to be the only route.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If Byrdo didn't charge an arm and a leg (well, $160-400 :eek: ) for his custom sticks, I'd get him to make me one.

On the other hand, anyone interested in designing their own stick(s) should check out Himura for quality Sanwa parts (ie, the ones used on arcade machines).
    I reckon you could build a 10-button stick for around $80 dollars.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to make those lovely inlays. Anyone got any ideas what you'd print it out on??

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote:

The only thing I can't figure out is how to make those lovely inlays. Anyone got any ideas what you'd print it out on??

An A4 piece of glossy photo paper and piece of clear perspex, a drill and 4 small screws.

Sorted.

kdjac

Advertisement