Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best fighting game controller?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

KdjaC wrote:
    An A4 piece of glossy photo paper and piece of clear perspex, a drill and 4 small screws.

Sorted.

kdjac
    I feel so dumb for missing the simple & obvious solution :rolleyes: Thanks; think I'll (try) to make a graphic now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Some people go with lots of coats of clear wax rather than perspex. I believe it can be quite hard to drill without cracking it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So, Sega Saturn controller, highly recommended. If you need a fighting controller specifically for your Xbox, then the Street Fighter type seems to be the only route.

There is an adapter on sale on lik sang that allows you to use a sega saturn, dreamcast or PS2 controller on an xbox. Might be best to get that and a cheap jap style daturn controller (not the american one which is an atrocity).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    I feel so dumb for missing the simple & obvious solution :rolleyes: Thanks; think I'll (try) to make a graphic now.

Want to buy a signed peice of Jet Force gemini signed by Mr Pants no less?

:D

/me recalls the old rare website its cool sontests which i won :)
    kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Want to buy a signed peice of Jet Force gemini signed by Mr Pants no less?

:D

/me recalls the old rare website its cool sontests which i won :)
    kdjac
    Who is/was Mr Pants??

But nah, I think it would have to be animé-type; much cooler, IMHO :cool:
    Some people go with lots of coats of clear wax rather than perspex. I believe it can be quite hard to drill without cracking it.
    What kind of wax would this be? And wouldn't it damage the paper??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Who is/was Mr Pants??

Rare's official mascot on their website. He has an awful lot of personality. He even has his own puzzle game on the GBA.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Rare's official mascot on their website. He has an awful lot of personality. He even has his own puzzle game on the GBA.
    A quick bit of Googling reveals that I have seen him before.
    Bit quirky, ain't he? I wonder if M$ will adopt him as their mascot... cos, like, he looks a little annoying, offensive & dumb (just like their OS ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

im finding the xbox pad tough to pull off the quarter circle moves on street fighter anniversary. I may get a ps2 street fighter controller and get the converter to play on xbox.

if anyone is up for some third strike on xbox live my gamer tag is evad_lhorg

I thuoght i would get destroyed when i played. i have only played one person who was ranked real high and we played ten games and he wasnt winning comfortably. i won a few. so bring it! (lightly) ;)

Andore wrote:
    I use the Hori Real Arcade Pro stick for the ps2 with a magicbox converter for my xbox/dreamcast/pc. It's pricey but it's well worth the cash since it's very sturdy, feels great and you'll get a hell of a lot mileage with it between all the console games and using it for mame/kawaks.

Whatever you do don't get the x-arcade or sf anniversary stick. The first features input lag which makes it useless for fighters and the anniversary stick is of a poor build quality and way overpriced. You could also look into building your own for a lot less. Head over to shoryuken.com for guides on that. If you do get a stick head down to Atlantic Homecare and get a nice stand for it, that made all the difference for me.

I had never used a stick before the Hori and it took me a good while to get used to but once you do you'll never look back. Take for example Street Fighter 3, you're really limited by what you can do with a pad. With a stick though you can do all the high end stuff like kara cancels/throws and because you can drum your fingers and press loads of buttons at once you'll find ex and super moves easier. For Capcom Vs SNK 2 it makes stuff like roll cancelling a lot easier too.

Here's a pic of my stick setup:

stick9tl.th.jpg

If you've got any questions about using the stick ask :)

where can i get one of these? does anyone know any companies that stock them in the states or UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Spodo Komodo

I ordered a namco stick(ps1) of this French site (helps if you know a bit of french ;) ):

http://www.priceminister.com/offer/buy/1372350/Namco-Arcade-Stick-Accessoire-Playstation.html

Sould arrive soon hopefully. Its a great stick and pretty hard to come by. Infact good sticks are damn hard to find in Europe. Usually have to order from outside E.U. But this will probably screw you over with customs duty.

• Advertisement

evad_lhorg wrote:
    im finding the xbox pad tough to pull off the quarter circle moves on street fighter anniversary. I may get a ps2 street fighter controller and get the converter to play on xbox.

It's dreadful isn't it. Even worse is that the black and white buttons are useless so pulling off varying combos is impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Andore

evad_lhorg wrote:
    where can i get one of these? does anyone know any companies that stock them in the states or UK?

I got it off play-asia. It's quite expensive like I said but for value for money it can't be beaten. Look at it as a long term investment, that thing will last you forever. I got mine back in January and it felt exactly the same as the sticks on the SF3 cabinets in the Trocadero in London. The Troc may be closed now but I can vouch for the fact that it feels arcade perfect... well excluding Irish arcades where arcade perfect means the stick is coming out of its socket and is covered in a strange sticky fluid which you thankfully can't identify.

I bought the street fighter anniversary controller on the ps2 and it workds fine with the ps2 but it wont work with my xbox. i have the converter and the converter works with an official ps2 pad. any ideas whats wrong?????

Andore wrote:
    I got it off play-asia. It's quite expensive like I said but for value for money it can't be beaten. Look at it as a long term investment, that thing will last you forever. I got mine back in January and it felt exactly the same as the sticks on the SF3 cabinets in the Trocadero in London. The Troc may be closed now but I can vouch for the fact that it feels arcade perfect... well excluding Irish arcades where arcade perfect means the stick is coming out of its socket and is covered in a strange sticky fluid which you thankfully can't identify.

€40 off lik sang with €30 delivery

Q1.This is it yeah just different colours?

Q2.Worth getting 2 assuming you have a decent table for them???

Q3. Assume USB to PS2 adaptor will make them work on the PC with no problems??

/me hovers buy button and PMS andore just to be sure :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

That's an absolute snip for the Namco stick. They usually go for double that on ebay.

I got mine for €8 :). They had it sitting on a shelf in Smiths in Limerick for years.

KdjaC wrote:
    €40 off lik sang with €30 delivery

Q1.This is it yeah just different colours?

Q2.Worth getting 2 assuming you have a decent table for them???

Q3. Assume USB to PS2 adaptor will make them work on the PC with no problems??

/me hovers buy button and PMS andore just to be sure :D

kdjac

Nah that's not the stick I use, mine is this:
    http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=22&products_id=5079&

That stick looks grand though and I haven't heard anything bad about it on shoryuken.com except that it can be a bit small if you have big hands. Plus it's smaller and cheaper than my one which is good if you're getting two. I think the Real Arcade Pro is the best non-custom stick at the moment but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the Fighting Stick 2.

This thread might be useful for you, it lists all the HRAP sticks and its various incarnations:

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95713

Searching for any of the sticks you might be interested in on shoryuken is usually a good idea since you get a good feel for how other people like the stick. I don't know what fighters you like but if you're getting two sticks we could play some time :)

edit just to pick up on Q3: Yeah it'll work fine. I use a Smart Joy adaptor (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=23&products_id=3833&) which just plugs in without any software and works perfectly with my stick.

Mainly buying it for Sf2 anni edition on ps2
    Have Soul Calibur 2 s thats getting added for use will get it for ps2 too and Sc 3 out soon so will be used a lot, i really fcukin hate thos ps2 pads, i ahve Sf2 anni edition a year now and it kills me that i only played it twice.

Oh i have the entire Mame collection all 11gbs of it :D

I need 2 but paranoid about buying them as if its crap i have 2 crap pads instead of one.

Be pointless to only have 1 really. Any good independant review sites?

thanks for reply.

kdjac

Yeah I bought it for the Anniversary Edition too, you'll get so much mileage out of it and Third Strike :)

Like I said shoryuken is the best place for finding user reviews of stuff. You could just get one and see how it is before getting another, you'll still have all the mame stuff to play in the mean time.

Advertisement