Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another what to do thread

• 30-08-2005 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm another 16 year old with a small problem well its not really a problem but more of a thing that I need advice on.
    During the summer I met this girl at the gaeltacht and I really liked her but she had a boyfriend so nothing happened. She liked me and she knew that I liked her but she said that she couldn't do anything because she had a boyfriend and she said that she could only break up with him face to face to be fair to him because he was so good to her. She also said they were drifting apart and he had done his LC so was going to college and she knew it would end. So to cut along story short she ended up breaking up with him when she got home and then she was going on holidays for 3 weeks and before she went we became b/f and g/f and she came back home yesterday.
    So this is where I need advice, first of all we are both doing our Leaving cert this year, but the problem is with where we live, I live in Mayo while she lives in Galway(near Tuam to be percise) and thats about a hours drive from me. It might not seem like much to older people but I dont have a car or licence yet not until im 17 in February anyway. We are going to be both doing our LC aswell so it will be harder for us to see each other as often as we would like to. We have talked about the whole distance thing but she doesnt see it as a problem and she thinks the LC will give us things to talk about, not that we would need that for us to be able to talk to each other. Don't get me wrong I do agree with her and even if I'm told it won't work we will make a go of it. Now that I think of it this isnt really a what to do thread (sorry other boards members for saying it is) but its really more of a question that have any of you expierence this and how did it work out? P.S any advice is welcome also. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

my advice is to learn how to use the enter key.

paragraphs are your friends.
    make it so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

make a go of it.
    Thats all you can do.

Was in a relationship afew months ago, we had been going out for 3 years all through college. She finished college before me and had to move to dublin to start a job.
    About 6 months after she moved we borke up, she told me that she wasnt in love with me anymore. She told me the distance was a factor in it.
    Not to say that it would be the same for you, but that how it ended up for me, hope it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

For the last few years things were like that for myself and my bf. He lived about an hour away and buses were our only option as we were in school. It was frustrating especially last year as I was doing my Leaving and he was in college an hour and a half away but we saw it through.
    It just makes the time you do get together even better, but you have to be relaxed about it, or one or the other of you will eventually feel trapped and that things are going nowhere.
    I say give it a go, you've nothing to lose. But if it's taking up too much of your time or it's too awkward come Christmas, let it go... you dont want to ruin both of your exams over it, ye can try again after.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

can't you take the bus down to see her on a saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Eolyn

I was in a relationship like that. I was in 6th year in school and he was in his first year of college. He lived in dublin and i in athlone. We ended up staying together for a year. It was one of the best relationships iv ever been in.
    Sometimes it was hard. I could go a month without seeing him and that was hard. But we knew each other so completely that it made it ok.

The distance made it work but it also killed it in the end. It just happens. The week before my LC we broke up. The exams put a strain on you and the distance made us fight alot. But just be aware of that and carefull not to fight often. It will prolly work out. Long distance relationships do work!

Good Luck. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

It's not that big of a problem.

Is there no buses from Mayo to Galway??

Despite what you've been lead to believe, you will have time for a social life in 6th year.

If you're willing to get a bus down on weekends, it'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

honestly man.. if u couldnt be arsed with the long term stuff, ull have a blast in 6th year with all the partys and going out...

there are alot of easy birds around.. even college wasnt as much for me as 6th year was... although i did **** in my leaving... haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Why not? You're young - you get nothing by saying no. If you're going to drift apart you're going to drift apart so why not make the most of it?

Game theory good sir!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

caesar wrote:
    Ok I'm another 16 year old with a small problem well its not really a problem but more of a thing that I need advice on.
    During the summer I met this girl at the gaeltacht and I really liked her but she had a boyfriend so nothing happened. She liked me and she knew that I liked her but she said that she couldn't do anything because she had a boyfriend and she said that she could only break up with him face to face to be fair to him because he was so good to her. She also said they were drifting apart and he had done his LC so was going to college and she knew it would end. So to cut along story short she ended up breaking up with him when she got home and then she was going on holidays for 3 weeks and before she went we became b/f and g/f and she came back home yesterday.
    So this is where I need advice, first of all we are both doing our Leaving cert this year, but the problem is with where we live, I live in Mayo while she lives in Galway(near Tuam to be percise) and thats about a hours drive from me. It might not seem like much to older people but I dont have a car or licence yet not until im 17 in February anyway. We are going to be both doing our LC aswell so it will be harder for us to see each other as often as we would like to. We have talked about the whole distance thing but she doesnt see it as a problem and she thinks the LC will give us things to talk about, not that we would need that for us to be able to talk to each other. Don't get me wrong I do agree with her and even if I'm told it won't work we will make a go of it. Now that I think of it this isnt really a what to do thread (sorry other boards members for saying it is) but its really more of a question that have any of you expierence this and how did it work out? P.S any advice is welcome also. Thanks

Jeebus. Are you not a bit too young to be devoting such thoughts to such matters?

Christ, when I was in sixth year, pints at the weekend were more of interest to me than women (well...) but certainly not to the extent that you're worried about it.

Give yourself some years before worrying about such matters and enjoy your youth. As Chef says "Children, theres a time and a place for everything. Its called - college".

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Kell wrote:
    Jeebus. Are you not a bit too young to be devoting such thoughts to such matters?

Christ, when I was in sixth year, pints at the weekend were more of interest to me than women (well...) but certainly not to the extent that you're worried about it.

Give yourself some years before worrying about such matters and enjoy your youth. As Chef says "Children, theres a time and a place for everything. Its called - college".

K-

Its not that im worried about it and she is great to be with, its so easy to talk to her and I know that might not seem like much but Im sure there are alot of couples that find it hard to talk to each other. Also this isn't one of those realationships that is going to end after like a couple of weeks. Many people my age are just with someone for the sake of it and it just ends after a couple of weeks because it was never going anywhere in the first place even though they probably both knew that when it started, anyway rant over.

So we are going to make a go of it and yes there is a bus from Mayo to Galway and I was just talking to her there and we are going to met up this weekend :D . Im sure it will work I just wanted to see had anyone else expierenced this and how did it go or maybe your still with that person so if anyone else has any stories keep them coming and thanks for the advice eveyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Ehh, Im im a situation like this at the moment. She lives in Dublin and I live in Laois(dont want any slaggin for livin in Laois!!!). Now I do have to say that there is a bit of a difference in our relationship as we have known each other for three or four years at this stage and in the past year(i.e. from the start of last summer)we have got serious! Now I know some people might think this is a very long time for a 'long-distance' relationship but there is a catch, we both have holiday homes in Wicklow and end up spending a lot of the summer together,but its never enough!!!

Im not going to lie to you and say it's easy to keep a 'long-distance' relationship going,we find it very hard not seeing each other,last we saw each other was Saturday and it feels like weeks ago.

People are going to say that ii's not that hard to get to Dublin which I know it is'nt(only 40mins on train)and we will see each other as much as possible but theres problems in the sense that she does dancing which affects a lot of time but mainly my football cause with club and county it screws up a lot of weekends on us!!!

Although the two of us do love each other which is different from your case I think cause you have only spent three weeks with her(speakin Irish which cannot of helped)its still going to be difficult stopping ourselves from going off with other people but we both think we can do it,which is good!!!

So my words of advice on this matter are that you should stick it out if you really care for this girl and like her. It wont be to difficult once you make sure to see each other every couple of weeks!!!

Hope this has helped a bit,

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭dramaqueen

Don't put too much pressure on it. It will be cool to hang out the occasional weekend but if either of you gets it into your head that you have to see each other every weekend, it will fall apart.
    There will be parties and football matches and part-time jobs to fund the bus ticket!
    Just chill out about the whole thing. See each other when you can and before you know it the year will over and you will be able to take the next step.
    Or not....

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

kmart6 wrote:
    Ehh, Im im a situation like this at the moment. She lives in Dublin and I live in Laois(dont want any slaggin for livin in Laois!!!). Now I do have to say that there is a bit of a difference in our relationship as we have known each other for three or four years at this stage and in the past year(i.e. from the start of last summer)we have got serious! Now I know some people might think this is a very long time for a 'long-distance' relationship but there is a catch, we both have holiday homes in Wicklow and end up spending a lot of the summer together,but its never enough!!!

Im not going to lie to you and say it's easy to keep a 'long-distance' relationship going,we find it very hard not seeing each other,last we saw each other was Saturday and it feels like weeks ago.

People are going to say that ii's not that hard to get to Dublin which I know it is'nt(only 40mins on train)and we will see each other as much as possible but theres problems in the sense that she does dancing which affects a lot of time but mainly my football cause with club and county it screws up a lot of weekends on us!!!

Although the two of us do love each other which is different from your case I think cause you have only spent three weeks with her(speakin Irish which cannot of helped)its still going to be difficult stopping ourselves from going off with other people but we both think we can do it,which is good!!!

So my words of advice on this matter are that you should stick it out if you really care for this girl and like her. It wont be to difficult once you make sure to see each other every couple of weeks!!!

Hope this has helped a bit,

Killian
    Hey thanks for the advice and I was just wondering what age are you?if you dont mind me asking. The reason I am asking is that I dont think that many people my age are in long distance relationships and I was just wondering about you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Between 16 and 18 (nearly 19) I went out with a girl that lived > an hour away from me. No problems at all. The phone is your friend. When you do see each other, it only makes it better.

Good luck. Have fun.

LOL@WWM.

Edit: If you both have broadband, you can use TeamSpeak to chat for free.

Advertisement