Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bored of BF2 :(

Options
  • 30-08-2005 11:54pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else bored with BF2 already?

I must say initially i loved it,it seemed fresh new and gfx were amazing.
    I even got a server up and running but i must say it hasnt got the gameplay of either desert combat or point of existence.
    Point of existence in particular is vastly superior gameplay wise and isnt too far behind in the eye candy departmant.
    I cant put my finger on it as to why but both DC and POE to me are still a lot better than BF2.
    I rarely play BF2 now,its stunning to look at but to me atleast the gameplay is somewhat lacking.
    We have both a BF2 and COD server running with 40 odd clan members and our BF2 server never has our clan members on it anymore,they are always on our COD server .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

no, can't say i am. Thought i was for a bit and didnt play much for a week or 2 but back to it now and enjoying it again. I think it depends how you play the game, if you pub all the time of course the muppets alone will put you off but having matches and playing with good players definately makes a positive difference. Had cause recentely to play both bfv & bf42 again and while 42 def is a classic game i was surprised at how much i didnt like bfv, be really hard for me to go back now as I'd miss sprint too much, there is some nice features in the game and i believe it will be a big game for a year or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

look at my sig, ive had the game 1 month........ does it look like im bored :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Still enjoying it here for the most part . But is is not like most other games where you can boot it up and get in and have a blast , it needs the right server , the right players ( atleast some of them playing the game ) and then it can be quite tactical . But the biggest challange is probably finding that elusive server , thats a game in itself .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

i played poe and DC and i gotta say BF2 pisses all over both of them. Im pretty well addicted to it at this stage, and like others i went back to BFV the other week and gave up after 5 minutes of constantly trying to sprint :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Still loving it.

I've recently gotten a system that makes me love it even more the way the graphics look excellent.

It all depends on your pov of the game. If you're a lone wolf, the stupidity of the rest of your team will put you off.

If you're a lone commander, same.

If you work with friends in a squad, or with friends as a commander, then it opens a huge potential to surpass the stupidity of your team and win out.

Also, considering i've recently learnt how to fly a plane with a joystick, that opens up a whole new world to me.

Some people look at the maps and think - must do A, B, C, and then D and we'll win. These people will run out of gameplay and get bored VERY easily. I nearly fell into that trap. But now I just play for fun and find that the kills come in and the points go up. The only time I get stressed is if it's close to the end of the round and it's coming down to the line - I start yelling "DO NOT RESPAWN!!! DO NOT RESPAWN!!!"

• Advertisement

I have to say I am a bit dissapointed that to win the game , it's frags and not flag captures that count . You can let them have all the flag bar one and if you kill them more , you win .The only advantage in holding the flags is that you can coral them in and let fly .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

jonski wrote:
    I have to say I am a bit dissapointed that to win the game , it's frags and not flag captures that count . You can let them have all the flag bar one and if you kill them more , you win .The only advantage in holding the flags is that you can coral them in and let fly .

?

is it nto the points that clock down faster the less flags you have???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

At least you got bored of it, i didn't like it from the start!

I understand what you're saying, i loved DC but i loathe BF2 for some reason..

the team with the lesser control of flags lose tickets at a steady rate, the team with the greater control only lose tickets on deaths.

the problem with holding 1 flag and trying to do a meat grinder on the attackers is artillery and vehicle support. you limit yourself to 1 flags worth of support, while all the time the other team have 5 or 6. plus your team are confined to a small space so artillery strikes are particularly deadly.

anyway, i love this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I still play it a fair bit, so I'm not bored of it yet. A couple of things have started to annoy me now though.

Its too easy to capture flags in a heli. I think this aspect of the game is really unbalanced. The top 3 people on a server are almost always heli pilots who spend the whole game flying from flag to flag and hovering over them until they're captured.

Now, I'm not giving out about the people that do this, cos I've done it myself a few times, and i've been a passanger in a heli doing this too. But it just doesn't seem right. The game is a fight-sim, not a flight sim. If a heli wants to fly to a flag and let a team of soldiers parachute to the ground to then capture the flag, that would be an okay way to do it. But i seriously think the current way it works is unbalanced.

And secondly, I bloody bloody HATE bunny-hoppers. While my first niggle above is directed more at game mechanics and not people, this point is definitely directed at people. For the most part, BF2 is a pretty realistic looking game. Ok, so it only takes 1 person to drive and operate a tank etc., but still, its the most realistic war sim around at the moment. Its cool seeing squads of soldiers running together, sprinting from cover to cover, diving to the ground to aim around a corner and so on. That immersion and realism is completely and utterly destroyed when you open fire on an enemy and he starts jumping and leaping about the place like a mad eejit.

It looks totally stupid, and I seriously doubt any army in the world teaches tactics like that to its soldiers! I'm not complaining about this because the bunny jumping makes them harder to hit - because I can still hit them, and its SO satisfying to kill a jumper when they're in mid jump. I just think it totally destroyes the feeling of gritty combat in the game.

• Advertisement

jaggeh wrote:
    the team with the lesser control of flags lose tickets at a steady rate, the team with the greater control only lose tickets on deaths.

Is this a definite , because I also thought this but it doesn't seem that way .
    the problem with holding 1 flag and trying to do a meat grinder on the attackers is artillery and vehicle support. you limit yourself to 1 flags worth of support, while all the time the other team have 5 or 6. plus your team are confined to a small space so artillery strikes are particularly deadly.

anyway, i love this game.

Yeah , in fairness I was over exagerating with the statement to try and get a point accross , but the more bases you hold the more resources you will have at your disposal . I suppose it is a statement more aimed at the Blackhawk crew , that while they go around capping flags and racking up their scores it really doesnt help to win the map unless it is one where all the bases can be captured . But we played a game the other night , 3 rounds of songhua stalemate the other team had its blackhawk capping like crazy but never getting the last flag ( maybe this was because they would stop scoring if they won ) . At the end of the 3 rounds , they had they highest scores each time , but we won all 3 rounds .

In Reply to Branoic

Now that I have ( kinda ) mastered the anti air missiles , I wish for the Blackhawk crews to continue :) , Oh what a great thrill that is to take down the 6 over and over . And one missile alone sends them running .

As for the bunny hoppers , someone needs to invent an internet protocol that allows admins to send electric shock over the net , like Voip but ESoip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

jaggeh wrote:
    but thats exactly how it was in bfv and 1942

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I find it nothing to do with being a lonewolf or not.
    We often hit our server with 20 clan mates and was total teamwork happening.
    Its the game itself that im growing bored with.
    How its played has nothing to do with my disatisfaction.
    Oh and Iceman i have an uber machine too with sweet gfx and very high framerate so its not that :)
    I still play the odd game for 30 minutes or so and then i hear other online shooters calling me.
    It boils down to whatever floats ones boat,i dont doubt BF2 is huge and will remain so im just saying that to me and about 95% of my clan its become very shallow im sad to say :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Its a great game no doubt about it. But I just cant be bothered with it that often anymore. It just seems like hassle to load it up and login and all that crap. I'm well and truly back to CoD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well I never liked it. That said I dident like 1942/DC or Vietnam/POE when I first played them. Now I love em all. But I just cant see myself coming around to BF2. Its just a load of small things I dont like about and theres loads of big things i like about the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I loved BF1942 but that was back when broadband was unavailable out in the sticks, so i never really got to play it online. Had great fun with it on a LAN.

Didn't like BFV much. The music was amusing though.

I am addicted to BF2 now though, its like crack. I've had it about a month and am still hooked. At first I wasn't too keen on it, but once I got the hang of each class and the vehicles and stuff, I was totally sucked in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

To the OP I have to say that POE and DC have got something extra that is just missing in BF2. It's the mix of gameplay and realism thats right in them. OK neither are very realistic but the gameplay and addiction are high i.e. the enjoyment factor is set on high. In BF2 the enjoyment factor plays third to graphics/realism and game engine not the way it should be.

Don't get me wrong anyone, it's a very good game but on the report card is that little note at the bottom "could do better".

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Frank Rizzo

RotalicaV wrote:
    At least you got bored of it, i didn't like it from the start!

me too, too many bugs to begin with..so i fed it to my dog, next day he crapped out a big BF2 turd..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Branoic wrote:

And secondly, I bloody bloody HATE bunny-hoppers. While my first niggle above is directed more at game mechanics and not people, this point is definitely directed at people. For the most part, BF2 is a pretty realistic looking game. Ok, so it only takes 1 person to drive and operate a tank etc., but still, its the most realistic war sim around at the moment. Its cool seeing squads of soldiers running together, sprinting from cover to cover, diving to the ground to aim around a corner and so on. That immersion and realism is completely and utterly destroyed when you open fire on an enemy and he starts jumping and leaping about the place like a mad eejit.

It looks totally stupid, and I seriously doubt any army in the world teaches tactics like that to its soldiers! I'm not complaining about this because the bunny jumping makes them harder to hit - because I can still hit them, and its SO satisfying to kill a jumper when they're in mid jump. I just think it totally destroyes the feeling of gritty combat in the game.

I really hate the small evolution of that tactic, the 'superman' where you jump and then go prone, so you have all the accuracy bonus of being prone, while having all the benifits of having a smaller target to shoot, and falling at the same time.... the giddy thrills of seeing a squad of hardened MEC warriors doing their best "is it a bird? is it a plane?" impression soon gives way to frustration as it's you get killed again and again by this cheap tactic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Dcully wrote:
    I still play the odd game for 30 minutes or so and then i hear other online shooters calling me.
    It boils down to whatever floats ones boat,i dont doubt BF2 is huge and will remain so im just saying that to me and about 95% of my clan its become very shallow im sad to say :(

Then I suggest you and the 95% of your clan jump on our TS and have a game with us. It's a great laugh. Maybe you're playing it wrong :p

theres an easy solution for supermen, its called a grenade. nothing funnier than seeing someone superman onto a grenade then try to get up quick enough to run away.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭fade

LIES CULLY you bastardsssssss

you better not b bored of it in a week when im home for a weekend, cos all im doin is playin bf2 :)

once againLIEEEEESSSSSS

spoiled brat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

God in dreading the thoughts of all that BF2 playing at Darkside this weekend. I supose it will be time for me to give the game another chance and the games last time to try sell itself on me. I doubt it will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Locutus

I've got so bored with it I went back to DoD, and when I tried to boot it up this evening, I got an error message - the server is refusing the connection?

What is this? If no particular bother is involved in solving it I may play again. And no I don't have a bootleg copy, and I haven't give my dvd to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**']Then I suggest you and the 95% of your clan jump on our TS and have a game with us. It's a great laugh. Maybe you're playing it wrong :p

Ah, but whenever we do decide to go for a game of Bf2 it is always a great laugh and great fun. But most of us have more fun playing CoD (especially since some GFFers dont have/like BF2).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

fade wrote:
    LIES CULLY you bastardsssssss

you better not b bored of it in a week when im home for a weekend, cos all im doin is playin bf2 :)
    I think we need to setup a bf2 lan in col tbh :)

O yeah and bf2 sucks ass on pub servers, but clan matches/lans for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

God in dreading the thoughts of all that BF2 playing at Darkside this weekend. I supose it will be time for me to give the game another chance and the games last time to try sell itself on me. I doubt it will work.

Think your dreads where a reality at the weekend !

hard to get any other game running !!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭fade

Serenity wrote:
    I think we need to setup a bf2 lan in col tbh :)

O yeah and bf2 sucks ass on pub servers, but clan matches/lans for the win.

Def seren, ill let you work out all the nity gritty stuff, wat with you being all "trusted" and what not (fools ... :))

pub games can be a laugh if you have a few good lads on the same sqaud and on a TS server somewhere, then its pure gas cos you can rip the piss and just have a laugh.

/me cant wait to play this weekend, only a few hours remain untill im securely glued to the pc... YAY

• Advertisement
Advertisement