Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outsiders at Freshers Week

Options
  • 31-08-2005 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

One of my best friends is the only one of our group of about 10 friends not going to UCD. He's going to trinners and doesn't start for a while. Would it be easy for him to hang around with us a lot in freshers week...i mean are most activities based around the student bar and would he find it hard to get in (no Student card) or is it a free-for-all??

And i know about not being cliquey and making new friends etc. but i want to know anyway

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

well the only place where u might get hassle is the student bar. But i reckon you could blag ur way in. Having valid ID would def help..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

just bring age card and say u lost ur stu card already

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

:D
    Can just imagine the boys on the door, muttering "Feckin eejit" as they let him in with that excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

For the whole month of September, outsiders can say "I haven't gotten my student card yet!" at the door to the student bar. Lots of actual UCD students don't actually get their card for ages so they usually accept that as an excuse. Apart from that, your friend will be able to hang around with you everywhere else and go to the Fresher's Ball and other events etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

You may even corrupt his young mind with the ways of the concrete!

You can get away with almost anything on freshers week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 reb_f

As a 1st startin UCD, wot exactly is d story with freshers week? I no der is a freshers ball and u join all d societies, wot else is goin on??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

reb_f wrote:
    As a 1st startin UCD, wot exactly is d story with freshers week? I no der is a freshers ball and u join all d societies, wot else is goin on??? :confused:

From what I remember last year not much else. Some drinking games in the bar and maybe the iron stomach but apart from them thats it really. IMO Freshers week last year was a HUGE letdown and is a completely overrated week.

SU, SU......... rag week please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

duffermad wrote:
    is it a free-for-all??

yes.

however it is also crap.

get **** faced, its the only way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

ferdi wrote:
    get **** faced, its the only way.
    This advice also applies to the rest of the academic year btw.

Honours, Pass, or Fail, I intend to get hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

Sorry for sounding naive but.... what's rag week?

• Advertisement

Raise A Grand week.

A lot of stuff put on for special causes or something.

AFAIK we didn't actually have one last year...

That's because UCD doesn't. Instead we have faculty days, which are usually held on thursdays in February (in Arts and Science anyway). Last year we experiemnted with October. Experiment = failure. Therefore, no more October Arts Days. That was a wasted summer and really crap weather.

Science traditionally raises the most money and gets huge participation from it's students. Some cynical people attribute this to the tactics in the Science Day rulebook of holding an "obligatory exam preparation" lecture at lunch-time for freshers, where they get herded into a lecture theatre, shown pictures of dying children and then are told they can sign up to help on their way out. I guess it's because of the Jock Walk. I mean, cynicism is SO last year.

Arts students are mainly too lazy to get involved. Although, despite the dire weather, the majority of our bucket collectors turned up this year. *round of applause for them*. Then Arts Day gets slated as being ****, because it didn't come to students, in their homes. Figures, huh?

Blush_01 wrote:
    That's because UCD doesn't.
    Only since we were in first yr darlin. 2002/2003 saw UCD having its last RAG week, in February I think it was.

Gettin' rid of it was a BIG mistake. Faculty Days?
    Don't make me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Blush_01 wrote:
    That's because UCD doesn't. Instead we have faculty days, which are usually held on thursdays in February (in Arts and Science anyway).

science day is usually good fun :D aww no more science day for me :(

Ooh, can we blame Sherry and Cashman? Can they be the scapegoats? PWEEEEZE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

When I was in first year a friend of mine from Trinity went to loads of things all year, you just need any sort of proper ID and pretent you're in UCD.
    Sure most of last year I had no student card and it was never a problem.

Anto Kelly (new SU ents officer) has loads of stuff lined up for this year, live music, comedy etc. Also check out the Fresher's Festival this year, looks like fun.

The societies to check out this year (imo) are B&L (good line up of events), EngSoc (EngBall and the screwBall are always good!)& RetroSoc (Dance off!!).. and of course C&E, L&H etc for a €2 lunch during fresher's week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Slippers

Faculty days...

Will there be college days now that there are no more faculties? :)

http://www.ucd.ie/colleges.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Liesia

You can get your friend into the student bar as each student is allowed a guest anyway. To do this you must give the door men your student i.d as security that your friend isn't going to cause trouble and they give it back when you leave as long as your friend hasn't been causing hassle (i.e. fighting is about all)

And its not us (old) Art students fault Arts day is always explained to us as a day off!!!!!

Advertisement