Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free online telescope?

Options
  • 31-08-2005 4:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

Is there such a thing? Id like to look at space online. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Check the NASA website maybe? (I'm not being smart, I've wondered about this question myself).

EDIT

Here ya go
    Space Cam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Go here and enter your co-ordinates (Dublin is at 53.333, -6.250) and it'll give you a chart based on time, day and altitude, very accurate.

http://www.heavens-above.com/main.asp?lat=0&lng=0&alt=0&loc=Unspecified&TZ=CET

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

There is a free software called Homeplanet and it can be download from that link, it is not too big even for dial-up users 7MBs is the full version. I have it and it is really quite good only enter your co-ordinates and you have a virtual telescope and you can track satellites (including the ISS) it also has an orrerary and constellation charts. It's a great bit of kit, the only thing is you might be tempted to stay inside on those freezing November evenings when you use it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There was a project for schools where they can remote control a telescope. Milionare donated it IIRC.

Also there is a virtual observatory in europe where all the pictures are online so if anyone looked at the sky others can share it.

Advertisement