Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

End of Transfer Window Moves

• 31-08-2005 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

After the move for Owen here is the next

Tottenham have signed South Korea left-back Lee Young-Pyo from PSV Eindhoven, according to a report this morning.

Lee, 28, has a clause to leave the Dutch club for £1.36million and had been linked with a move to White Hart Lane.

"A deal was completed in the early hours of the morning," said a report on Sky Sports News.

Meanwhile, Newcastle midfielder Jermaine Jenas is expected to complete a medical at Spurs today with view to a move.
    Jenas has been tipped for a move away from St James' Park this month after admitting to manager Graeme Souness that playing for the Magpies is "like living in a goldfish bowl".

The 22-year-old midfielder has impressed in spells since his £5million move from Nottingham Forest in 2002.

A stunning goal against Manchester United in 2003 was a glimpse of what he is capable of, and he has been billed as a player to eventually emulate the performances of influential former Arsenal midfielder Patrick Vieira.

Although he is yet to dominate games like Vieira did before a move to Juventus, Jenas has had the backing of every manager he has played under.

Sir Bobby Robson brought the player to St James' Park and kept faith in the youngster, while Souness did not want to let the player goal.

England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has also backed Jenas - or 'JJ' as his managers call him - to be a regular in the national side.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Solano to return to Newcastle ????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

apparently so. last i heard o'leary was talking about not standing in his way if liverpool came knocking.

seems all the talent wont sign for pool and wants to go to tyneside these days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

haha whitewashman referring to micheal owen, the only reason he signed at newcastle is that they could guarantee him first team football and liverpool couldnt. Still all these so called players rejecting us didnt stop liverpool winning the CL in may and the super cup last friday. Solano would only be a stop gap if he signed for us. What have spurs won lately i wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

EVERTON will make a desperate bid to bring in a new striker before the transfer deadline tonight - with Robbie Keane leading a list of several candidates.

Manager David Moyes met the Tottenham striker in London yesterday as he looks to bolster his attacking options before the window closes at midnight tonight.

Michael Owen also revealed last night that Moyes made another bid for his services shortly before the England international agreed to join Newcastle United from Real Madrid.

"David Moyes rang to see if there was a chance of getting me to Goodison Park and to wish me luck if not," he said. "I think he must have known that my dad was briefly an Everton player and I used to follow them as a boy."

Preston's David Nugent, Porto's Benni McCarthy and Chelsea's Carlton Cole are also on Moyes's wishlist, but the frantic nature of deadline day could mean other players coming into the reckoning.

Moyes will divert all his energies into luring a striker today, which would appear to rule out a late swoop for Preston midfielder Dickson Etuhu.

Everton are still hopeful, meanwhile, that winger Andy van der Meyde will finally get the all-clear today.

Dutchman van der Meyde has agreed personal terms but his medical has been complicated by the groin injury the 25-year-old is currently stricken with. Everton will receive the result of a test relating to the injury today and if they are happy will then formalise the £1.8million transfer.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0200sport/tm_objectid=15913860&method=full&siteid=50061&headline=keane-at-top-of-final-day-wishlist-name_page.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Jenas undergoing a medical at spurs for a reported fee of 9 million.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Rennes claim they have signed Sweden left-back Erik Edman from Tottenham on a three-year contract.

The 26-year-old Edman, who only spent one season at White Hart Lane having joined the club from Heerenveen last July, links up with fellow Swedes Andreas Isaksson and Kim Kallstrom at Rennes.

"I hope the switch will suit me and make me to a better player in a good league," Edman said.

A statement on the Ligue 1 club's website read: "Several hours before the end of the official transfer period, Swede Erik Edman has signed a three-year contract with Stade Rennais."

Who have Spurs to play at left back now? seems a strange one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

The Muppet wrote:
    Solano to return to Newcastle ????????

Hmmmmm so looks like Souness knows something about Dyers injury that we don't.
    Solano was always a good player for the Toon Army!

evilhomer wrote:

Has quit international footie now which was always the problem Bobby had with him....cant see Villa losing him when they are rebuilding....do they have a direct replacement? hendrie?

evilhomer wrote:
    You have just lost one of your best players in Jermaine Jenas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

China defender Du Wei has been granted a work permit and could arrive at Celtic Park in the next 24 hours to complete a move from Shanghai Shenhua.
    Player agent Edmund Chu told BBC Sport that he is hopeful that the 23-year-old will be a Celtic player before the transfer window closes on Wednesday.

Du Wei was awarded a work permit on Monday and negotiations with the Glasgow club are ongoing.

It is not known whether the deal will be a loan or a permanent transfer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/4186948.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Big Nelly wrote:

Who have Spurs to play at left back now? seems a strange one!

Read your own first post.

:D

Back-up will be Stephen kelly or Reto Ziegler.

Jermaine Jenas has just completed his move to Spurs.

Read your own first post.

:D

Back-up will be Stephen kelly or Reto Ziegler.

Ok losing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I think i heard o'leary wants 1.5 mil and milner on a season long loan for solano..

this would give them a replacement for this season...

WDK wrote:
    You have just lost one of your best players in Jermaine Jenas.
    He hasn't looked interested in playing for newcastle since last year, we are better off without players who don't give 100% for the team.

evilhomer wrote:
    He hasn't looked interested in playing for newcastle since last year, we are better off without players who don't give 100% for the team.
    Yeah there is a reason for that the Sh*te manager.

WDK wrote:
    Yeah there is a reason for that the Sh*te manager.
    This is probably true, but it looks like in the short term we are stuck with Souness and Shepard seems to be content to let him do his thing in the transfer market.

Last year Souness was touting Jenas to be the next club captain after Shearer, obviously things have changed between the two of them.

Yes and for that you are at loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

galwaydude wrote:
    haha whitewashman referring to micheal owen, the only reason he signed at newcastle is that they could guarantee him first team football and liverpool couldnt. Still all these so called players rejecting us didnt stop liverpool winning the CL in may and the super cup last friday. Solano would only be a stop gap if he signed for us. What have spurs won lately i wonder.

wow, step of the serious pills there for a second.

can you not tell a toungue in cheek piece about the quality of players going to newcastle who have all been linked with liverpool.

i am well aware of why owen signed for newcastle.

am desperately hoping liverpool dont fluke their way to winning anything this season.

by the way, we won the peace cup in korea. that was 3 more games than the super cup...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Jenas would have been a great player for the future alright but he wouldn't be in my first 11 with all players fit . He's a bit prone to making mistakes aswell but im sure he'll eradicate that in coming years .

In the long term the loss to Newcastle is massive , in the short term not too bad .(gets rid of a very good sub)

Id love Solano back , consistent , technical skill , intelligence are three of his main features .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think Steve Bruce holds the record for signing Dwight Yorke at 11:57pm last season? I wonder will there be any dramatic signings tonight!

Tottenham have raised their offer for Livorno striker Cristiano Lucarelli to £3.4million, which if accepted could pave the way for Robbie Keane to join Everton.

Lucarelli was the leading scorer in Serie A last year with 24 goals and is considering a move to the Premiership.

The 29-year-old said that Livorno president Aldo Spinelli told him Tottenham's original offer was "a joke" but that that the bid has now been improved.

Lucarelli said: "Tottenham have increased that offer to 5million euros to let me go, that is five times what he (Spinelli) paid Torino for me.

"My instinct tells me to tell leave this club immediately but my heart pushes me to stay at Livorno."

Reports suggest Keane is in talks over a move to Goodison Park after Everton boss David Moyes failed to convince Owen to turn down Newcastle.

Spurs going nuts today!

Real Madrid striker Javier Portillo has followed Michael Owen out of the Santiago Bernabeu by agreeing to join Belgian champions Bruges on a year-long loan deal.

The 23-year-old was named among the substitutes for Madrid's Primera Liga opener at Cadiz on Sunday but has decided to leave the Spanish capital in search of regular first-team football.

Portillo, who has scored 6 goals in 31 league appearances for Madrid, first caught the eye after setting various goalscoring records for Real's 'B' and 'C' teams.

He scored 13 goals in all competitions for Madrid in the 2002-03 season but has since failed to hold down a regular place in the team and spent half of last season on loan with Italian side Fiorentina.

used to be classed as the next Raul but has lost his way last few season! remember a couple of crackers he scored in CL....Utd tried to sign didnt they once?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BBC report that Simao Sabrosa is joining Liverpool subject to medical, feck its going to be nip and tuck.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Connolly Back in the Premiership

David Connolly will complete his move to Wigan Athletic from Leicester City, for a fee of £2 million.

The former West Ham striker is on the verge of a move back into the top flight, and will be keen to show that he can be a regular goalscorer in The Premiership.

Connolly has scored four times already this season for The Foxes, including a hat-trick against Stoke City.

The 28-year-old started his career at Watford, before a stint in Holland with Feyenoord.

Connolly also played for both Wolves and Wimbledon, before West Ham bought him for £285,000 then sold him on for £500,000 to Leicester last summer.

Connolly Back in the Premiership

David Connolly will complete his move to Wigan Athletic from Leicester City, for a fee of £2 million.

The former West Ham striker is on the verge of a move back into the top flight, and will be keen to show that he can be a regular goalscorer in The Premiership.

Connolly has scored four times already this season for The Foxes, including a hat-trick against Stoke City.

The 28-year-old started his career at Watford, before a stint in Holland with Feyenoord.

Connolly also played for both Wolves and Wimbledon, before West Ham bought him for £285,000 then sold him on for £500,000 to Leicester last summer.

Good news for Ireland, he's been in-form in the Championship, hopefully he can continue it for Wigan.

Does Connelly have a thing about W clubs?! :D

Mike.

Middlesbrough striker Joseph-Desire Job has joined Saudi Arabian side Al Ittihad on a year's loan.

The 27-year-old Cameroon international was finding his first-team chances limited at Boro with Aiyegbeni Yakubu, Mark Viduka and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink all ahead of him in Steve McClaren's pecking order.

Job has made 112 league and cup appearances for the Teessiders after joining from Lens in 2000.

Job was loaned out to French side Metz in 2001-02, McClaren's first season in charge at the Riverside.

The Boro boss told the club's official website [url]www.mfc.co.uk:[/url] "We wish Joseph luck in Saudi. He is keen to secure a place in Cameroon's squad as they bid to qualify for next summer's World Cup finals.

"Understandably, he needs first-team football, which was something I couldn't guarantee him here."

Ooops!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Big Nelly wrote:

Spurs going nuts today!

We make a habit of it...

Defoe a year and a half ago on the last day (and just missed out on completing the Robinson transfer), Dawson and Reid in the last transfer window.

We've been trawling the continent for more signings, the Lee deal was supposed to be finalised last week (he passed his medical a couple of days ago, but was held up by a new improved contract offer from his old club)

The Lucarelli deal is still on only because Kuyt decided to stay in Holland, we've also been linked with Jan Koller and Carlton Cole. And rumours continue to suggest a possible move for Stuart Downing worth up to £8 million in cash and players.

Jan Koller and Carlton Cole. And rumours continue to suggest a possible move for Stuart Downing worth up to £8 million in cash and players.

Koller just came out and said he has rejected his new contract and is looking to move somewhere new! he has 12 months left! could be a cheap option!

Downing has just done his knee in and has gone for surgery and they dont know when he will be back so he aint moving for a while...>Think Cole is going to try his luck at Chelsea but I can see a move In jan!!

Tranmere have agreed to sell striker Iain Hume to Leicester for a fee that could rise to £750,000.

Rovers will receive £500,000 up front for the Canada international, who has rejected moves to Preston and Sheffield Wednesday in the past, as well as another £250,000 in add-ons and a 10% sell-on clause.

The 21-year-old will now discuss terms with the Foxes, who are set to lose David Connolly to Wigan.

Tranmere boss Brian Little, who has signed Oldham forward Delroy Facey until the end of the season, said: "During my time here Iain has done very well and despite interest from other clubs we have managed to keep him.

"However, in recent months Iain and his representatives have made it fairly clear that if an offer came through from a club in a higher league, he would be very interested to go."

Rovers chairman Lorraine Rodgers added: "Iain has clearly been unsettled and this was a factor. He made his views plain both directly and indirectly. Leicester have proposed a very good deal for the club and, therefore, we have given Iain permission to talk to them."

Like this player! Shef Wed tried to sign him in Summer but Tranmere wanted too much for him!! boy can he hit a shot!! also frees up Connolly for PL move which is good for Ireland!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Wigan have signed Connolly for 2 million rising to 3 million if they stay in the premiership

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/wigan_athletic/4200244.stm

Wigan have signed Leicester's David Connolly on a three-year deal for an initial fee of £2m, rising to £3m if they stay up in the Premiership.

The 28-year-old, who has had spells at Watford, Feyenoord, Wolves, West Ham and Wimbledon, had already scored five goals for the Foxes this term.

"I'm delighted to be in the Premiership at last," the Republic of Ireland player told the Wigan club website.

"Wigan's a forward-thinking and ambitious club, with a great manager."

Leicester chief executive Tim Davies confirmed to BBC Radio Leicester that the move had gone through.

"The striker wanted to play in the Premiership and we couldn't stand in his way," he said.

Arsenal have signed Mart Poom on loan with Justin Hoyte going in the opposite direction
    Arsenal have signed Sunderland's Estonian international goalkeeper Mart Poom on loan.

The 33-year-old has joined the Gunners initially until the end of the year, but the deal could be extended until the end of the season.

He has not played since October when he suffered a knee injury and has now seen his first-team place taken by summer signing Kelvin Davis.

Poom joined from Derby in 2003, making 68 appearances for the Black Cats.

He was a firm favourite with the Sunderland fans, helped when he scored an injury-time equaliser against the Rams in September 2003.

Poom, who has won over 100 caps for his country, will provide some experienced cover for regular Gunners keeper Jens Lehmann.

mike65 wrote:
    BBC report that Simao Sabrosa is joining Liverpool subject to medical, feck its going to be nip and tuck.

Mike.

Looks like he has passed his medical.

Sky Sports

Van Der Meyde finally signs for Everton, good signing for them IMO

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/e/everton/4186870.stm
    Dutch winger Andy van der Meyde has completed his £2m move from Inter Milan to Everton after passing a medical.

The 25-year-old is currently recovering from a minor groin problem but should be fit to make his Everton debut some time in September.

"I am happy I can show my football again because it has been a long time for me," he told the club website.

"I believe in the team and the club and the trainer and I think it will be a good year for us," he added.

Van der Meyde, who began his career at Ajax, can play on either flank or as an attacking midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Real's Raul signs for Doncaster Rovers in £100,000,000 deal! :D

Thats been on the cards for ages tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

that bakke move is a good one for villa, i hope he stays injury free for the season, he's a decent honest player

The deal with Simao Sabrosa seems to be dead.

Benifica want too much money - 20 mill euro and Pool offering 15.

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Well Poom is at Highbury for 6 months at least. The quadruple is in the bag now.

• Advertisement

Frances Jeffers in talks with Rangers over possible loan-deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

kaids wrote:
    Well Poom is at Highbury for 6 months at least. The quadruple is in the bag now.
    Always thought he was a good keeper but he's not getting his game for Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i forgot about poom, he was good in his day and rumoured with a move to united on several occasions. so i think hes a good signing for arsenal, certainly an improvement on their backup for lehmann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

solid keeper , nothing special but doesn't make many mistakes certainly less dodgey than Lehmann .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

just in from Sly Sports, Porto's Bennie McCarthy (sp?) missed training with Sth Africa to have talks and medical with West Ham

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Pompy just signed Dario silva.

Rochemback just agred a deal with Middlesbrough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

2140: Nolberto Solano is having a medical at Newcastle as he closes in on a return to his former club from Aston Villa. James Milner is expected to go the other way on a season-long loan.

2115: Middlesbrough agree deal to sign Brazilian midfielder Fabio Rochemback from Barcelona.

2100: Uruguayan striker Dario Silva completes a move to Portsmouth from Spanish club Sevilla.

2015: Liverpool's attempts to sign Benfica striker Simao Sabrosa fall through.

Solano is a decent player, Souness may have just saved his ass less than 7 hours.

kdjac

bbc for the win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

CELTIC tonight signed Chinese defender Du Wei on a four-year deal. The defender impressed during a week-long trial at the club earlier this month and is now eager to begin his Celtic career.

The 23-year-old, who has 12 international caps and is also the captain of the Chinese Olympic team, joins from Shanghai Shenhua.

A Celtic spokesperson said: “We’re delighted to have signed Du Wei on a four-year deal. Within the agreement, there is an option for the club to review it in January but, all going well, we look forward to Du Wei playing for the club over the next four years.”

• Advertisement
Advertisement