Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[PR] Dublin Port Tunnel - Publication of Draft Toll Scheme

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

should be free at night IMO - ie between 2200 and 0600. Not enough traffic to interfere with port business, no point forcing traffic through the suburbs if there is a largely empty motorway tunnel available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

loyatemu wrote:
    should be free at night IMO - ie between 2200 and 0600. Not enough traffic to interfere with port business, no point forcing traffic through the suburbs if there is a largely empty motorway tunnel available.
    A tunnel we taxpayers have paid for. It's sickening that it's being tolled at night. People will die because of this. People will be killed on the streets of Fairview/Marino by a vehicle that could have used the tunnel for it's journey. It's just a matter of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

i thought the trucks were forced to use the tunnel though. Think they get a fine if they dont as far as i know ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

I agree completely that the tunnel should be free at night, especially leaving the city. The northbound toll being the same as the citybound toll seems crazy. Cars entering the tunnel in the city will be on motorway as far as Dundalk, so any chance of congestion on the northbound tunnel is slim. A lower toll (even as much as €3) would suffice.

A simple monitoring operation could ensure that if there is ever the threat of congestion in that direction then the tunnel could be closed to cars etc. while electronic displays (aren't they all the rage here these days?) would convey that message to people going in the direction of the tunnel, and ensure they have adequate time to take a different route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wonder what would happen with boy racer types if it was free (the hazards in a tunnel are materially different to those on a motorway) ....

/gets pipe and slippers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

very easy to set up a speed monitoring system - plate recognition cameras at either end, time how long it take to get from one end to the other.

The toll is there to deter cars from using the tunnel, not to prevent boyracers from drag racing through it - there are laws that are supposed to prevent that...

is there some way of making a submission on this toll scheme?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Is there any chance that the toll could be electronic from the start or are we going to see yet another example of ineptitude from the Government. They have a chance to learn from the mistakes of the West Link and put a better system in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

LFCFan wrote:
    Is there any chance that the toll could be electronic from the start or are we going to see yet another example of ineptitude from the Government.
    you're winding me up, don't say the government are having a part to play in this tunnel.
    I assumed that because it was the idea of Dublin City Council, and because they have had the responsibility of getting the bloody thing built, that it would be Dublin City Council to decide the operation of the tunnel. The only role for Government was to give city council money. Now you are saying the government will have a say on how it operates, why don't we just disband Dublin City Council? :mad:
    It should have NOTHING to do with Government, yes they gave the money to have it built, but like the sewarage system in ringsend, thats as far as their responsibility goes!!!!!!!!!!! Although I wouldn't put it past a TD to turn up for the photoshoot at the opening!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

you're winding me up, don't say the government are having a part to play in this tunnel.
    I assumed that because it was the idea of Dublin City Council, and because they have had the responsibility of getting the bloody thing built, that it would be Dublin City Council to decide the operation of the tunnel. The only role for Government was to give city council money. Now you are saying the government will have a say on how it operates, why don't we just disband Dublin City Council? :mad:
    It should have NOTHING to do with Government, yes they gave the money to have it built, but like the sewarage system in ringsend, thats as far as their responsibility goes!!!!!!!!!!! Although I wouldn't put it past a TD to turn up for the photoshoot at the opening!
    When I say Government that includes local government, i.e DCC. They're all civil servants and all as useless as each other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Although I wouldn't put it past a TD to turn up for the photoshoot at the opening!

The name is Cullen ... Martin Cullen. Unless Bertie shuffles this muppet out of the job beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

DubTony wrote:
    The name is Cullen ... Martin Cullen. Unless Bertie shuffles this muppet out of the job beforehand.
    Ah the cleverest of them all himself will probably show up for the ribbon cutting on this one. It's in (under :D ) his constituency is it not?

Advertisement