Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone rip off

• 31-08-2005 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭

I sent a picture from my Nokia 6680 to my email at the weekend, and just checked there and it cost me €6.70 + VAT. Surely this is a mistake, the file it says was 450KB. I sent emails with pictures before with my 6230 and were only about 30c, although I know the picture was a lot smaller but not to the factor of the price difference. Anything I can do :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

talk to vodafone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭digiman

Yea I know that, but would I have any case to argue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They may help you out if you plead innocense..

As for what you done.. You sent an uncompressed 450KB file via email, through the ISP.VODAFONE.IE APN, at a charge of 2cent/KB.

What you done previously and should do all the time, is send the picture, which will be automatically compressed, using the MMS client on your handset throught the MMS.VODAFONE.IE APN. This sends the picture as an MMS and the charge is a maximum of 25c..

http://www.vodafone.ie/services/mms/index.jsp?site=personal

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭limbovski

Maybe i'm missing something here but you could have sent it to your online picture album for free...

limbovski wrote:
    Maybe i'm missing something here but you could have sent it to your online picture album for free...

Never even knew that you could do this, how do you do this?

• Advertisement

To send a picture you have taken with your phone to the Picture Album, you just create a Picture message on your mobile and send it to 087 9421000.

Log into my vodafone and on the drop down menu its kinda in the middle of the page click Picture Album, it should open in a popup window. Thats were I got the above information.

You sure its free?

99.9%

actually i am sure, but some fool will probably get charge for it somewhere down the line and I don't want to be held accountable...

lets just say that i and everyone I know to have ever used it have never been charged...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Hey,

I'm not sure about the pleading innonence thing!!

I have a 6630 and a MMS cannot be over 300KB
    phone will not allow it

Best of luck though!!

On a side note, I was out on the pi** one night and i sent a vid clip via e-mail to a mate and it cose me €21.50 + VAT!! :eek: :eek:

Taught me a fair lesson!!

Well I got around to calling them about this today and as a gesture of good will they said that they would refund the cost of this. I just played stupid to the fact that it costs 2c/kb to send a picture. She also said that in future you should send it to 087 9421000 as this is free of charge.
    It was decent enough of Vodafone to do this in all fairness, so hats of to them :D

• Advertisement

Fair play to vodafone on that one,

Now I wonder if i play dumb will I get my €21+ refunded?? :rolleyes:

I'll give it a shot anyway

Mik

mik_da_man wrote:
    Fair play to vodafone on that one,

Now I wonder if i play dumb will I get my €21+ refunded?? :rolleyes:

I'll give it a shot anyway

Mik

I was surprised, in fairness the girl I was talking to was really nice and helpful, I would say that it could all depend on the person that you get talking to.
    Best of luck with that anyway

Tried the play dumb story with Voda.

saying i thought Video messages were only 65c....

But i did send a 4MB clip via e-mail so the voda cust care girl was having none of it :mad:

Ah well worth a shot i suppose,
    didnt think i would have gotten away with it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

digiman wrote:
    I would say that it could all depend on the person that you get talking to

glad you got it sorted :)

you hit the nail on the head there, I get a vastly inconsistant standard of service and product knowledge from Vodafone Customer Care... there are a few diamonds in there but it's a complete lottery to manage to speak to one of them (as they are few and far between)... although their dedicated data support team are usually very reliable

digiman wrote:
    Well I got around to calling them about this today and as a gesture of good will they said that they would refund the cost of this. I just played stupid to the fact that it costs 2c/kb to send a picture. She also said that in future you should send it to 087 9421000 as this is free of charge.
    It was decent enough of Vodafone to do this in all fairness, so hats of to them :D

Ironically, you still have it wrong.. It does not cost 2c/kb to send a picture.. Its cost 2c/kb to send data using the ISP APN. In your case, you send a picture via email. The email application on your phone uses the ISP APN to connect to the internet..

If you sent the picture using MMS, the 400kb picture is compressed down to about 40kb and sent via MMS at the cost of 25c...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Bruce Fan

I switched from O2 to Vodafone a few months back when I got a Nokia 6630 (which was locked to Vodafone) as a present.
    I have to say I think they are rip-off merchants.
    As soon as I get the unlock code (which will hopefully be Friday the nice customer support man tells me) I'm switching back to O2.
    Vodafone rates aren't as good as O2's (for pre-paid anyway) although to be fair there isn't much in it.
    The Vodafone web site is complete cr@p though, even before you compare it to O2's.
    Half the time i can't even log in to the bloody thing.
    Their web text only lets you text Irish mobile numbers (O2 lets you text any mobile number in any country) plus if you want to add contacts its a pain in the arse as you have to go into your mail account and do it one by one.
    Pants.
    O2, here I come.
    Again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭soiaf

Bruce Fan wrote:
    plus if you want to add contacts its a pain in the arse as you have to go into your mail account and do it one by one.

It does actually allow you to upload a bunch of contacts in one go.
    If you log onto the webmail client, then click on preferences (button at the top), then click on contacts on the left hand menu, theres an option to upload a CSV file with all your contacts.

I don't quite get why the fact that Vodafone don't allow international texts from their webtext adds to your claim that they're 'rip off merchants'. Its a free service, and can save you money texting.
    Also if you say theres not much in it between the Vodafone prepaid rates and the O2 rates, I guess that means you think O2 are 'rip off merchants' as well (but no quite as much??)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Bruce Fan

My post should of been a little clearer.
    I don't quite get why the fact that Vodafone don't allow international texts from their webtext adds to your claim that they're 'rip off merchants'.

This isn't ment to add to my claim that Vodafone are a rip off (although they are) its just ment to point out another area where O2 offer better service.

When I said "rip off merchants" I was referring to that fact that people were getting charged €7 for a picture message & €20+ for a video message etc.
    And yes the rates aren't that different but O2 is a rip off as well, as is Meteor.
    Ireland had the highest mobile rates in the EU at one point and is still in the top 3.
    We're all getting ripped off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, as pointed out the charges were for sending data using their ISP service, which is very expensive, especially if no bundled data add-on has been applied to the account...

the problem is the handsets people are using make it easy to send items in various ways, and as shown by the examples, depending on the method chosen it can be very expensive, so it looks like Vodafone needs to work harder to highlight this

looks like most of the points made in the thread have been made so we'll leave it there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement