Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacOS on Intel platform?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭tomMK1

ZENER wrote:
    I understand that perfectly but that was not the subject of the thread. You seem to be confused over what a PC - personal computer - Mac - Mac OS - windows - is!

It's difficult to debate with you when you obviously don't have a clue what you're trying to say. Please re-read your posts and see if you can make up your mind about what the difference between Windows and a PC is then work on how MacOS could run on Windows in the context being talked about here.

When you've tried that look back through computer history and see what is generally meant when someone says - for example - "Office for the PC" then see if you can figure out why they make a distinction and say "Office for the Mac". Point: A Mac is not a PC in that context !!

ZEN

zen, im sorry if i confuse you. ive been using macs since 1996 and windows since 1998 so im afraid I do know what Im on about.

All ive been saying is that the whole mac moving to intel thing doesnt mean that osx will run on windows - which is thread related. I dont care what people mean when they say 'PC' - it means personal computer, which is what a Mac is. You;ll have to just deal with that thoug i know alot of people think PC means Wintel. Also, please read my posts before slagging the crap out of me as youve been slating me for saying roughly the same as what youve been saying, as in it'll be a long time before OSX is windows based.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

tomMK1 wrote:
    zen, im sorry if i confuse you.

Apology accepted !

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Ernesto

arse faces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

tomMK1 wrote:
    im afraid I do know what Im on about.
    it'll be a long time before OSX is windows based.

heh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Guess im waisting my time waiting for a G5 Powerbook then :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Yep. Especially given how hot the G5's run...
    I can see one of the first lines to get Intel processors being the PowerBook... The Intel Centrino's would be very well suited to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Yep. Especially given how hot the G5's run...
    I can see one of the first lines to get Intel processors being the PowerBook... The Intel Centrino's would be very well suited to them.

Which brings us right back to why Apple have gone to Intel...their Pentium M CPU's to get a better foothold in the mobile market.

Oh with the exception of tomMK1 having a fight with ZENER I found this thread very interesting especially after seeing MacOS 10.4.1 Tiger running on a AMD64 using VMware...shame the virual ethernet connection didnt work..oh well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

If Apple have any sense (which they do, I think it's abundantly clear, when it comes to retaining market share in hardware) they'll develop a new version of OpenFirmware for their production boards.

Apple have explicitly stated they will not be using OpenFirmware on the Intel based machines. This doesn't mean they won't be doing any of the stuff you mentioned but I'm not entirely sure if they'd even care. Most Apple users buy Apple for the whole package, not just the hardware or software alone. People who are going to pirate it are going to pirate it anyway. Infact it might even have some form of halo effect, you download a copy, manage to install it on your generic PC, next time you go to upgrade your hardware you might just prefer the integrated package :)

Slice wrote:
    Did the announcement that Apple are to switch to Intel give any indication as to when we will be seeing Intel based machines out? Specifically I intend to get an iBook at some stage and was thinking of holding off if it will be out soon....

They're shifting the lower end machines over first, so yeah the iBook will probably be one of the first new macs with an x86 cpu. I don't see any reason to hold off though, applications will still work on both platforms and there's always a faster processor out every few months anyway. Besides, I'm sure PowerPC powered macs will become a collectors item in a few years ;)

tomMK1 wrote:
    you'll be waiting a while to see the mac OS running on windows,

I really cannot grasp what you mean here. If you mean MacOS X running on x86 Intel machines then yes, that's already happened. Apple will be making the switch as painless as usual -- Xcode will already produce fat binaries (PowerPC and x86 executables in one package) -- so by the time you get to buy an Intel based machine it will be as easy as dragging an app from one machine to the other with no changes required.

If you mean MacOS X actually running on top of Windows then you don't understand operating systems very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

dogs wrote:
    Apple have explicitly stated they will not be using OpenFirmware on the Intel based machines. This doesn't mean they won't be doing any of the stuff you mentioned but I'm not entirely sure if they'd even care. Most Apple users buy Apple for the whole package, not just the hardware or software alone. People who are going to pirate it are going to pirate it anyway. Infact it might even have some form of halo effect, you download a copy, manage to install it on your generic PC, next time you go to upgrade your hardware you might just prefer the integrated package :)

Fair enough, didn't know that they'd stated that.. interesting, very interesting.

Cheers,
    Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

zuma wrote:
    Which brings us right back to why Apple have gone to Intel...their Pentium M CPU's to get a better foothold in the mobile market.

Oh with the exception of tomMK1 having a fight with ZENER I found this thread very interesting especially after seeing MacOS 10.4.1 Tiger running on a AMD64 using VMware...shame the virual ethernet connection didnt work..oh well!!!
    Actually it doesn't even need vmware to run MacOS X, and it will run on anything that is SSE2 and up with various modifications. An yes that is with even wifi working never mind ethernet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fair enough, didn't know that they'd stated that.. interesting, very interesting.

Cheers,
    Gadget

So you did'ent watch the Apple Developer Conference then? :)
    Interesting stuff....
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc05/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

As I type this message I'm running OS X Tiger on my Dell Pentium M Laptop.

I've just installed and surprisingly I have yet to find something that doesn't work. All my hardware, my sound, my usb mouse and external hard drive work perfectly.

The whole system is as fast as ever. This looks like very usable OS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Duffman wrote:
    I've just installed and surprisingly I have yet to find something that doesn't work. All my hardware, my sound, my usb mouse and external hard drive work perfectly.

That's interesting to hear, hard not to wonder what Apple's future plans might be. Is your network card supported?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Onboard 10/100/1000 Broadcom NIC works grand.. It doesn't recognise my Intel wireless card though. I think there might be a patch for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

tomMK1 wrote:
    i'll bounce this thread at christmas so you will be able to start wiping the egg off your face

O RLY? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

no idea how I came across this thread but, though its 16 years later, I think its fair to point out that the tommk1 person was correct - apple and intel did indeed create a brand new chip for the mac

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

eh, pretty much everything tommk1 said was wrong.

• "Intel make chips, not CPUs"
    • "Anyone who thinks apple are moving over to intel as used by windows I think will be in for a surprise"
    • "the chip intel will produce for apple will bear no resemblemce to the current stable of intel chips and more than likely wont be used by anyone but apple"
    • "it'll be a long time before OSX is windows based" (<--- I don't even know what this is supposed to mean).

The Intel CPUs Appled used from 2006 until now (they're still in the Mac Pro as of writing this post) are off the shelf Intel processors - Intel Core Duo, i5, i7, i9, etc. Apple may well have had an input into aspects of their development, being one of Intel's biggest single customers at the time, and there may have been some specific configuration for Apple in terms of clock speed and other particular aspects, but they weren't "custom chips" in the sense that tommk1 said they would be.

Intel have no part in the creation, design or manufacture of the new M1 and M2 chips.

Advertisement