Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV broadband down???

• 31-08-2005 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any hassle last day or two connecting or staying connected?

Am not great on pc's lads, so go easy on the lingo to ol' loudmouth here :)....but ever since yesterday evening, if i get connected, after 10 mins or so it just stops working/disconnects, when I tried to re-connect - it still wouldn't work. Have re-bboted and powered down several times, it did SEEEEEM to work after this.,...but then disconnected again after 10 mins or so.
    Getting a warning about "Bloodhound" virus gettting in, I've been sent directions by a pall how to get rid of that....but am not sure if other trouble is connected.......anyone have any ideas and tips that work?

sorry its longwinded guys......cheers for any help.....ciao' Baggio........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Yep... UTV was acting strange for me last night... was down for ages...

Seems to be alright now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

oh right goood stuff..ill check it tonight when i get home ..

.thanx amigo...Baggio...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

It was gone for a couple of hours last night. The strange things is, according to the UTV bandwidth monitor, I'm about 600MB over my cap and even though I've chosen to have my account suspended for the rest of the month, I'm still able to connect today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Mine went off last night and I thought it must of been because I went over the limit amd I have the suspend option ticked. I get up this morning and it says I am over the limit but IM GETTING BILLED FOR IT.

Now im 99% sure I had the suspend my account option on like I have done for over a year but it says I have the bill me overuse option ticked. Do you think they could have switched it last night to sting me for it?

bush wrote:
    Now im 99% sure I had the suspend my account option on like I have done for over a year but it says I have the bill me overuse option ticked. Do you think they could have switched it last night to sting me for it?
    If it was set to "Bill me for any usage over the download cap" At 00:00h on August 1st, then that's what they use for that month. If at any time during August you changed it to "Suspend my account" that won't come in effect for August. Effectively you're choosing what you want done next month, and you can change it as many times until the end of the current month.

This is what mine says yet I was still able to connect today:

utvofdm6fj.th.gif

• Advertisement

Ye I know I set it to suspend my account the first time I got BB and never changed it since. Last month I went over the limit with a week left so I rang up and told them to reconnect it and bill me for the rest of the month and go back to normal the next month. I did this a couple of times before and they always just charged me for what I went over and left the bill option the way it was for the next month.
    I'm thinking now they must have changed the option over permanently and not just for last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

OFDM wrote:
    according to the UTV bandwidth monitor

Theres a UTV bandwidth monitor :confused:

Is there any hope of them increasing the cap anytime soon? Its a joke at this stage.

prospect wrote:
    Theres a UTV bandwidth monitor :confused:
    https://ssl2.u.tv/clicksilveraccountie/onlineusage.asp?id=xxxxxx

Replace "xxxxxx" with your account number. Also available through your account info by clicking bandwidth usage..

bush wrote:
    Is there any hope of them increasing the cap anytime soon? Its a joke at this stage.
    From what I've read in utv support newsgroup they have no plans to increase caps, but the price of clicksilver is going up by €2.

If only BT weren't so incompetent. Must investigate digiweb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

OFDM wrote:
    but the price of clicksilver is going up by €2.

:eek: Where's it say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

OFDM wrote:
    https://ssl2.u.tv/clicksilveraccountie/onlineusage.asp?id=xxxxxx

Replace "xxxxxx" with your account number. Also available through your account info by clicking bandwidth usage..

Chunks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

OFDM wrote:
    From what I've read in utv support newsgroup they have no plans to increase caps, but the price of clicksilver is going up by €2.

If only BT weren't so incompetent. Must investigate digiweb.

Holy shít lads!!

They are upping the price as well as 100% charging for exceeding the CAP!!!

Give BT/Digiweb a call now...even eircom is better than UTV now as there is a far lower chance of being charged for over downloading!

How much will you have to pay OFDM for the couple of hundred MB you overdownloaded???

Just had a look on the UTV site. Cant see sight nor sound of a price increase. You sure you werent just looking at the option to not get UTV talk? Thats €2 more.

I think UTV charge 1.5 cent per meg. So €15 per gig thereabouts. They could charge 3.5 cent but I think its lower than that.

zuma wrote:
    How much will you have to pay OFDM for the couple of hundred MB you overdownloaded???
    I'll be paying them nothing because I chose suspened the account. Not might fault if they didn't. I've been getting the feeling over the last few months that they take the surplus out of your next months download cap anyway, because DU meter has sometimes been 500MB after the first day of the month.

I read some here on boards that the price was going up to €31.99. That's what any new customers have to pay now at least.

I had an order with BT but they tried to screw €125 out of me so I cancelled the order.

Arabel wrote:
    Just had a look on the UTV site. Cant see sight nor sound of a price increase. You sure you werent just looking at the option to not get UTV talk? Thats €2 more.

I think UTV charge 1.5 cent per meg. So €15 per gig thereabouts. They could charge 3.5 cent but I think its lower than that.

So downloading 9GB a month on the standard package is actually more expensive than paying for the Plus package with 16GB CAP from UTV!!!

OFDM wrote:

I read some here on boards that the price was going up to €31.99. That's what any new customers have to pay now at least.

Ah right. That price increase is only for people who want BB but dont want to take utv talk too.

Is it possible to change broadband to eircom but keep utv talk?

bush wrote:
    Is it possible to change broadband to eircom but keep utv talk?

Eircom BB with UTV Line Rental/Talk.....it should work.

Would there be much hassle changing over?

• Advertisement

bush wrote:
    Would there be much hassle changing over?

Certainly as you are probable still in a 12month UTV BB contract!!!
    UTV are a bunch of extorsionist bástards!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My UTV contract finished about 5 months ago, but I've been keeping them on a month-to-month rolling basis in the hope of making a switch to smart when they become available here, but that is looking further and further away. I'm getting sick and tired of UTV now. The crap cap, the ****ty level of service (**** pings and downtime like this? No thanks), and so on.
    Who do ye recommend I switch to? (Besides Eircom, there's long standing bad blood there!!)
    Pings for online gaming would be a high priority, and a decent cap would be nice too. UTV's 8GB is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Plan to call BT in the morning but can't decide whether or not to keep UTV Talk - that part of their "service" works ok - but definitely getting rid of the broadband... it just doesn't offer value for money anymore & I don't see why I should pay more for less! :(

BT appear to have the best deal and Digiweb are good as well.

BT
    1Mbit 12GB CAP €30 a month
    2Mbit 24GB CAP €40 a month

Digiweb
    1Mbit 20GB CAP €30 a month
    2Mbit 40GB CAP €42 a month

BT are a better bet as they have the financial/technical muscle of their UK business to rely on...though Digiwebs download CAP are higher.
    Then again BT are flexible on their CAP's!!!

Do you know how digiweb handle it if you go over the limit, is there an option to suspend it like utv?

What's the upload limit? Or is 20 gigs upload and download combined?

bush wrote:
    Do you know how digiweb handle it if you go over the limit, is there an option to suspend it like utv?

What's the upload limit? Or is 20 gigs upload and download combined?

I have no idea as I dont have Digiweb(I have BT).

On the download/upload CAP...I would guess that its 20/20 each way just like BT have 12/12 or 24/24 depending on your package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I too am a very disgruntled UTV customer. I've got a sizable chunk of a contract to run and would actively consider any way to leave it without being too much out of pocket.

It's gotten to the stage where the recent erattic quality of services and outages would make it worthwhile to pay a bit extra in order to move to a reliable product with a company who has any concern about their customers.

I would wholeheartedly advise people to pick any other provider ahead of UTV.

Advertisement