Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap spirits view on tastes?

• 31-08-2005 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I like my Jack Daniels so I try the odd cheap knock off every now and then and was wondering what others think.

Golden Sun was up in Aldi @ €18 and it was fine but slight bit tart but still nice

Tesco have one called smokey somthing @ €18 i thought it was quite good and will get again just.

Neither are Jack but they are a lot cheaper and decent enough

Are there any other cheap drinks people have actually tried and though were fine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most whiskey drinkers would consider jack to be a poor whiskey, definitely overpriced, well those ads do cost a lot to make it seem like "rock n roll whiskey", like why budweiser costs so much.
    There are lots of cheaper whiskeys which are far superior to jd, they wont taste the same though, because they make them properly.

I dont drink it much, the only one I could drink all night is canadian club which is a very mild tasting whiskey. On distilling webistes many point out maker's mark whiskey as one to emulate, it is available here and is cheaper than JD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I normally go by the rule (generally) that if you are mixing with something then it doesn't really matter if it is a knockoff version, expecially true with Tesco Imperial Vodka at 20.96 a bottle :o
    If the drink is to be drunk neat then I normally prefer the branded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

There is a difference between quality, branding and price.

There are excellent liquor and indeed beer/wine which do not have the marketing value of the big brands such as JD or Smirnoff and are much cheaper simply as that is absent.

The one which stands out a mile is for example Tuborg which is not branded in ireland (unlike in scandinavia where it is one of the biggest beers) and is a premium lager at a cut price.

Anyone suggesting others would be most welcome.

Advertisement