Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house in two week. Need BB advice

• 31-08-2005 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm moving house it two weeks and would like to get some BB advice..

I've looked at Smart telecom as they seem the best regarding price, limits etc.. The only problem is that I'm going to be in the Belcamp exchange and what I've gathered from other posts is that basiclly nobody knows when it's going to be up and running.

The second option is Esat. Their 6 month offer seem quiet good but not as good as smart.

Baring in mind that my choice will largely be goverened by price (as I'm just after buying a house so I'm strapped)

If I got for Esat I loose out on the Smart (first 100,000) offer. If I go for Smart I might not have BB for months..

Any advice??

Maybe Garfield can give an update on Belcamp??

Thanks

Anto

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If Smart are months away then get BT (Esat). Even if Smart turn up in 6 months, it is likely you could still avail of the free rental, as they aren't signing up people that quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

That's the thing, I don't know for sure when Belcamp will be up and running. From what I have read here Smart telecoms activation dates are not to be relied upon..

I didn't realise that there was a slow uptake on their offer. I think I might swing Esat's way for a while. At least I know when I'm going to be connected.

I don't like their policy of "lie's on the doorstep" but they are the cheapest..

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

BT have plenty of other policies you can not like, believe me. Having said that, the speeds I get are top notch and they don't seem to enforce the cap. Plus, they are the cheapest (widly available) on the market when you combine line rental with the broadband (except of course if you can get NTL or a working IBB connection).

On the Smart free line rental thing, I noticed in their most recent ads they say that they are offering free line rental for life to the first 100,000 customers in 2005. The 2005 bit has me thinking will they continue this offer into next year if they don't sign up 100,000 customers? Just a thought as six months with BT puts you into 2006. I'd still go with BT, as I did infact myself, because you don't know when Smart will arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Am in similar situation as Anto,

About to move house - no smart in area im moving to.
    But, differnt to him, I'm BT customer already and my 12 month contract is up.
    Any views on pros and cons of cancelling and subscribing under my GF name... or moving house under existing contract... ?!

Apart from router problems (netgear - latest FW fixed it) I never had issues with BT BB service - the customer service needs improvement...

@jor el: Still not clear on the verdict on NTL - if there is NTL BB in the area - should I use that instead? IBB might be possible, but I don't really want to have problems as reported here.

cheers

Advertisement