Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi & Lidl

• 31-08-2005 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

what do you think of these shops? Do you shop there on a regular basis m- I get all my cleanng products there and a couple of food items. I find they are almost the same as brand names - esp the sweets! - but I hate their mouthwash and deodourants.

What do you think of the quality of Aldi & Lidls produce? 53 votes

Great! - Wouldn't go anywhere else and be ripped off.
    0% 0 votes
    Inferior and for peasants only.
    100% 53 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

what do you think of these shops? Do you shop there on a regular basis m- I get all my cleanng products there and a couple of food items. I find they are almost the same as brand names - esp the sweets! - but I hate their mouthwash and deodourants.
    I'm a big fan of their mouthwash. Brewed in the heimat to the Reinheitsgebot - top notch. Other than than only dry goods - tinned stuff, some cleaning stuff, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

:D

...AND you have a !00% majority!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

Delete please...mad pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Things I buy regularly in Lidl ...

Food items: nice biscuits (Bahlsen Schoko Leibniz clones), nice cheap mature cheddar, Schwarzwalder ham, Paprika crinkle crisps (got a taste for them while living in Germany!), bacon bits, peanut butter, Polish sausages and pretty much anything with an interesting foreign label :) I avoid the knock-offs of Irish/UK staples like Baked Beans like the plague though.

Other stuff: loo rolls, J-cloths, washing capsules and fabric conditioner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Aldi's fruit and veg are surprisingly good. Much nicer than Tesco or Superquinn I find, especially things like tomatoes, they're not just mushy and tasteless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Their locations aren't handy for me at the moment, with the result that i've never been in either (so have been forced to take the peasant vote :D ).

They are opening all the time though, and there is one of each opening near me soon, but most of their packaged foods seem to be decent quality. The parma ham is top notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I tend to buy the odd bit of tools there and maybe some juice and other stuff. They did really nice mozarella sticks there before. I've seen them recently in Superquinn for much higher price. Name on the box says Avonmore but it's actually made in Germany in the same factory as the Lidl ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Lidl sell this really bitchin' chocolate so they do. Granted I can't actually arrange the purchasing of said chocolate in any form of a regular basis.

It's considerably cheaper than its counterparts and actually tates better than most too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Much prefer Aldi's stuff over Lidl. Shop in Aldi regularily though..get so much more for your money compared to the big chains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd also give Aldi the edge over Lidl, but both can be great value. Especially for things like cheeses, meats and chocolate. Also Aldi do great pastas and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Shop at both. Get the best of both worlds.

Vine cherry toms are hard to beat in Lidl.

Feta in a jar of oil in Aldi is a bargain at 1.99. Just don't buy their beans - yeuuch!

I'm going to Lidl for pair of trekking shoes tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Have to say that lidl's yougarts and yougart drinks are fab. They are so cheap. Also have any of you tried their mangnums icepops (ummm). They have much better deals at the moment that Aldi. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I find lidl are great for the likes of

Toilet Roll
    Tin Foil
    Sweets and crisps
    dried food i.e. noodles and soups
    Kitchen cleaning items such as sponges and clothes etc..

But apart from that I wouldnt bother with them, I would'nt trust their meat or dairy produce and their household cleaners are useless.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Anything I don't buy in the market I get in Aldidl. I much prefer Lidl but it's not as convenient to my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Tazz T wrote:
    Just don't buy their beans - yeuuch!

Yeah Aldi beans are rotten alright! Everything else is grand though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I find if you stick to the types of foods Germans like (in general), beer, wine, cheese, cold meats etc., or inedible things like household cleaners, both Aldi and Lidl are fine. Going for anything like beans is russian roulette. Anything that has a fake-o lookie-likie label is also to be avoided.

Every so often they both have exceptionally good quality beer or wine, but it is variable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Beno

Lidl: Juice, dairy, ice cream est the trimusu, fruit and veg

Aldi: Meat, beer that french stuff is great, pizza, flavored water, bread

Both have their pluses never shop anywhere else other than the local and superquinn the odd time

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Shop in both regularly. More so Lidl, as I'm new to the Aldi "brands" and more familiar with Lidl stuff. Their fresh quiches are very tasty, as is some of their sandwich fillers.

Oh, and I can't forget the ever tasty Bergadler Pils! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

The best place to go for poor students also does cracking food

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i buy most my food in tesco but lidl has some cracking stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 quattfa3

You can't beat the gerkins, premium pils and sundried tomatos from Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brianw

lidl isnt so convenient for me.
    but i get a chance maybe once a month and i buy a load of stuff in bulk
    the prices make a complete joke of everywhere else
    the good items have all been mentioned - cheeses, salami etc
    also olive oil - decent stuff for 3€.
    and the beer is best value in ireland by a mile. 6.99 for a six pack of large bottles, and its pretty decent beer. forget yer 2.50 to 3.00 per bottle of imported in the offies and other supermarkets.

germans might eat heavy food, but they eat quality heavy food, and they shop in lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Lidl kicks ass.

Thank the Lord for the Germans.
    Never thought I'd say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Aldi's fruit and veg are surprisingly good. Much nicer than Tesco or Superquinn I find, especially things like tomatoes, they're not just mushy and tasteless

Not where I am. D.15 Superquinn is light years better than Tesco and Aldi/Lidi. Some stuff in Aldi/Lidi is good, but I wouldn't rate the fruit and veg myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 foodietwoshoes

I shop at Aldi for: their special offers, chocolate brioche, plain yogurt, nappies, breads, ground nuts, pasta, pizzas, frozen veggies, canned tomatoes.

LIDL: Some of their fresh fruit and veggies are better than anywhere else. My children like the yogurt pots here.

It's very convenient for me because both Aldi and LIDL are 5 minutes' drive away. Tesco and Superquinn are further away, but I still shop there 2-3 times a month for things I do not get at Aldi/LIDL. SQ is great for fresh fish and gourmet food products. I go to Tesco for everything else - things like Horlicks, baby products, Kellogg's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

Aldi is the best for choice of products, but Lidl is good too, I keep an eye on their speical offers every week,,, they have a rather large slection of Irish products there also which is nice,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

The toilet roll from those stores is awful! It cuts you up back there

Advertisement