Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Issue with Windows XP.. troubleshoot

• 31-08-2005 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

Maybe someone can give me a hand with this.

I have an install of Windows XP Pro SP1 which is legit and licenced and all that to start with and activated.

Clean install, but I am having issues with it locking every so often. Originally it was the display drivers so I installed the nVidia drivers 77.77 and that resolved one of the issues. I am using a GeForce TI4400 on a MSI-KT880 board (Athlon XP 2400+) with 1.5GB RAM.

Currently the problem is every so often, the screen blacks out and then comes back mostly on a screen redraw with Image Viewer. The image displayed is sometimes garbled. The display is set at 1024*768@85Hz. I have also updated the Via chipset drivers for AGP/IDE and PCI to the latest version.

Also WMP10 sometimes crashes/locks/causes a reboot for unknown reasons. Only codec installed is DIvX 5.0 Pro. It crashes either while playing music or playing movie files. With the music the visualisations were also going so possibly that is a cause????

Other components include a Silicon Image 0680 IDE/ATA 133 controller with 2 160GB Harddisks hanging off it. There are also 2 120GB drives on the Primary IDE Controller and 2 Optical drives on the secondary controller. I have disabled write caching on the 2 drives on the Primary Controller, the SIL doesnt allow it. A Terratec DMX Fire 24/96 (with most up to date drivers)

I am at a loss as to what the issue is. There are no listed conflicts in Device Manager.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Right fixed the issue..

Disabled Hardware Acceleration on the graphics card and it works. Have to find a more permanant solution tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭wavin

Ginger wrote:
    Right fixed the issue..

Disabled Hardware Acceleration on the graphics card and it works. Have to find a more permanant solution tho

i had to do this recently as all video playback went strange after updating a DRM thing i think.what affect does turning off hardware acceleration have?

also, any way to remove all DRM updates installed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Typical Microsoft that, hey lets release a fix for something that'll break something else, then release a fix for the fix... and so on.

Advertisement