Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using a pc/laptop as music DB for touchscreen jukebox

Options
  • 31-08-2005 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

hope the title makes sense.

right, I'm just looking for info on if and/or how it can be done.

a lot of pubs now have the touchscreen jukebox.

I want to know can I use say my own pc/lappy as the storage for the mp3s and the touchscreen as the UI?

now lets say I have the storage well away from the touchscreen [think pc in the bar and touchscreen in the lounge], would it work?

could I control the audio level from the pc aswell?

just looking for some help for a possible future plan :)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

A friend of mine has something kind of similar in his car.

He's got an old lappy (battery removed) in his boot wired up to the ignition of his car and a touch screen panel on his dashboard.

When he turns on the car the laptop powers up and boots on boot up it opens a program (cant remember what it is) and a touch screen interface opens. He uses it for music himself but it can also run movies etc.

Its pretty funky looking.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Hi,

Funny I should read this post. I work for a jukebox company, we are a company that supplies most of the touchscreen jukebox's you see in pubs around the country.

Is this some kind of personal project ? In our jukebox's, the contents tend to be, computer, amp and touchscreen. Not a whole lot else. But we also have remote selectors which are essentially that allows another box to select tracks. There is also a volume control box that can go anywhere in behind the bar, this had volume sliders for left and right channels, a reject button and free credit button iirc.

If it's to do with our jukebox's, you ain't allowed do nothin' ! :)

Slaan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

kinda personal.

the boss at home has the older ****ty cd based jukebox and IF we were to try and get him to change we'd want a solid selection of tunes whichis where our own pc would be handy.

can you add your own music to the setup yee do Slaanesh ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Setup is straight forward touch screen:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306511&cks=PLS

PC on the back end thats up to you but a mini ITX with a wireless NIC would be a nice, that also assumes you have your music stored else where. If not You will need a decent sized drive int he machine as well.

Software is the tricky bit but there is an free app designed to run in car setups like described above that would do the trick though. Sorry no link atm but its around boards in similar threads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Slaanesh wrote:
    Hi,

Funny I should read this post. I work for a jukebox company, we are a company that supplies most of the touchscreen jukebox's you see in pubs around the country.

Is this some kind of personal project ? In our jukebox's, the contents tend to be, computer, amp and touchscreen. Not a whole lot else. But we also have remote selectors which are essentially that allows another box to select tracks. There is also a volume control box that can go anywhere in behind the bar, this had volume sliders for left and right channels, a reject button and free credit button iirc.

If it's to do with our jukebox's, you ain't allowed do nothin' ! :)

Slaan.
    My aunt has the same machine, which i think runs windows 95 when it boots up but the free credit button keeps poping up a message Sorry no credits available today.
    whys that is it because the installer disabled it?

There are only a certain amount of free credits that can be used in a given week. The box works on a profit sharing basis, so having the customer constantly putting on free credits wouldn't be great for business would it ? :)

Slaan.

The selection on the jukebox is pretty much tailor made for pubs, we have a database of 24,000 mp3's here in work. We try to put the best of that on the jukebox. Most pubs tend to be very happy with the selection of tunes on the box, they do great business.

We send out an update to the pub every 2 weeks, there is no way for the customer to put their own stuff on. However, we often get requests for certain types of music, which we try and accomadate for as much as possible.

kaimera wrote:
    kinda personal.

the boss at home has the older ****ty cd based jukebox and IF we were to try and get him to change we'd want a solid selection of tunes whichis where our own pc would be handy.

can you add your own music to the setup yee do Slaanesh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

yeah sure the box paid for its self in 6 months i believe, because of the 2 euro gives you 5 credits thing, although i discovered that 1.50 also offers 5 credits.

appararntly the pub get no free credits at all.

Advertisement