Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Connolly in the Premiership (finally)

• 31-08-2005 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/wigan_athletic/4200244.stm

A move to Wigan it seems.
    Could be a good one.

I still dont get why Kerr wont pick him.
    I know there was an exchange of words, but we always could do with decent strikers and I've always thought Connolly shows more natural ability than a lot of others we've gone through in recent years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

adding a premiership striker is good for ireland even if im not his biggest fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

£2 million seems a bit much for him tbh, his previous transfers where in the 500,000 range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

It can only be a good move if he's a regular. I honestly hope he does well so we can have that extra option up front. He has had some great games for ireland but it seemed like he had a case of the Liam Millers when he was playing bad ie he was low in confidence for Ireland.

Was it Kerr that he was mouthin off to bout not gettin picked, sayin he was the best striker we have? I doubt Kerr wouldn't pick him coz of that. Harte did the same but he's almost a regular now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Personally I think it's a sign of desparation on Wigan's part, they've struggled to sign a striker all summer and with only hours remaining before the transfer deadline they may have panicked.

Connolly hasn't done it on his previous attempts in the Premiership or at international level. My feeling on him is that he is not a team player, he rarely sets up oppurtunities for a team mate and usually trys to make a shooting oppurtuinity for himself from impossible positions and ends up wasting possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Already posted on the Transfer window closing thread

anyway some info that will free up Connolly
    Tranmere have agreed to sell striker Iain Hume to Leicester for a fee that could rise to £750,000.

Rovers will receive £500,000 up front for the Canada international, who has rejected moves to Preston and Sheffield Wednesday in the past, as well as another £250,000 in add-ons and a 10% sell-on clause.

The 21-year-old will now discuss terms with the Foxes, who are set to lose David Connolly to Wigan.

Tranmere boss Brian Little, who has signed Oldham forward Delroy Facey until the end of the season, said: "During my time here Iain has done very well and despite interest from other clubs we have managed to keep him.

"However, in recent months Iain and his representatives have made it fairly clear that if an offer came through from a club in a higher league, he would be very interested to go."

Rovers chairman Lorraine Rodgers added: "Iain has clearly been unsettled and this was a factor. He made his views plain both directly and indirectly. Leicester have proposed a very good deal for the club and, therefore, we have given Iain permission to talk to them."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Wigan have signed Connolly for 2 million rising to 3 million if they stay in the premiership

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/wigan_athletic/4200244.stm

Wigan have signed Leicester's David Connolly on a three-year deal for an initial fee of £2m, rising to £3m if they stay up in the Premiership.

The 28-year-old, who has had spells at Watford, Feyenoord, Wolves, West Ham and Wimbledon, had already scored five goals for the Foxes this term.

"I'm delighted to be in the Premiership at last," the Republic of Ireland player told the Wigan club website.

"Wigan's a forward-thinking and ambitious club, with a great manager."

Leicester chief executive Tim Davies confirmed to BBC Radio Leicester that the move had gone through.

"The striker wanted to play in the Premiership and we couldn't stand in his way," he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

masterK wrote:
    Connolly hasn't done it on his previous attempts in the Premiership or at international level. My feeling on him is that he is not a team player, he rarely sets up oppurtunities for a team mate and usually trys to make a shooting oppurtuinity for himself from impossible positions and ends up wasting possession.

Spot on, I would say. He hasn't done it at international level, despite numerous chances.

The "exchange of words" was not with him, it was with Don Givens. He ws called up to the senior squad after a spate of injuries (having not been in the initial squad), and said to Givens "to what do I owe the pleasure of this phone call?" or something like that. He showed disrespect to Ireland, he's not even Irish, and we don't need him. If scoring goals and playing well in the Championship is enough to make the senior squad, then Kevin Doyle is only a season away from making the step up.

masterK wrote:
    Personally I think it's a sign of desparation on Wigan's part, they've struggled to sign a striker all summer and with only hours remaining before the transfer deadline they may have panicked.

^^what the he said, its a complete panic buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I wouldnt consider it a panic buy. Wigan already have two first choice strikers, Roberts and Camara.

Connolly is in to replace Ellington.

I wouldnt be worried about Wigan scoring goals, plenty will come from their midfield as well as who ever plays up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

masterK wrote:
    Connolly hasn't done it on his previous attempts in the Premiership or at international level.
    Connolly has never played in the premiership, where do people get this idea from as I hear it said regularly.

Connolly cannot play with Keane but I'm nearly always impressed with him in an Ireland shirt without Keane.

• Advertisement

did he not play for Wimbeldon in the Premierleague after his "brilliant money spinning stint" in Holland?

did he not play for Wimbeldon in the Premierleague after his "brilliant money spinning stint" in Holland?
    He joined Wimbledon in 2001 when they were in division 1. Scored 42 goals in 63 league games for them as partnering Shipperly suited his style of play. They scored 74 league goals between them over 2 seasons.

^ thats that then, thanks football guru!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

scored a great goal today on his debut, and "looked lively all game - quickly adjusting to life in the Premiership" according to the match report on the BBC.
    With Morrison out (who also got one today) against Cyprus, isnt a call-up due?
    It will definately give us another option up front, instead of throwing on the Doc again..... oh God, dont throw on the Doc! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

fair play to him, i hope he goes on and scores 20 goals this season. Shame he cant play with robbie but then again not too many strikers can (in fairness they cant). Were badly stuck up front so anyone and everyone who reckons they can have a goal should be given a chance.

I read on Skysports that he wants to come back to the Irish team, i wouldn't mind seeing him back there tbh. He doesn't have tooo much talent but he always scores goals. Which is something we badly need coming up to the Cyprus game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Gets a lot of stick, sometimes deserved, did score one of the best irish goals ever at Lansdowne against Turkey though. Great volley.

hes played one game in the premierrship ever. Really he is not different to the player he was the other day. give it more time before we start sayin we want him back in the team. I'm not sayin he's bad or anything, in fact, im gonna risk it and replace elliott with him on my fantasy footy team., what I'm saying is, most players play their socks off on their debut to make as good impression. a lot of players score on their debut! i think even del horno scored on his debut, and hes a defender, like Heinze, who also scored on his debut. Mido got 2, Rooney got 3, all on debuts. many others too!!

Look, give him a few games to settle and see if hes getting the full 90 and bagging a few goals before we give him a call up, coz in reality, nothigns changed since last week! if he's worthy of a call up now, then he was worthy while still playin in the championship last week! Simple as that!

The_B_Man wrote:
    nothigns changed since last week! if he's worthy of a call up now, then he was worthy while still playin in the championship last week! Simple as that!
    I know... he scored a hat trick for Leicester over a week or so ago.
    Nothing has changed with me... I still want him back in the squad.
    (Especially with Robbie Keane on bad form and not getting a game and now with Morrison out).
    He deserves at least to be on the bench to give us more options.
    More info here on him "pleading" a recall:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4235082.stm

seems to have a good attitude. Kerr has to give him a shout at least. He can at least come on as a sub if we arent scoring goals out in Cyprus.

• Advertisement

jubbly wrote:
    Kerr has to give him a shout at least. .
    I sure hope so.
    Kerr will lose all my respect if he doesnt pick an eligable and experienced on form striker (and thats not just for yesterdays goal.. but for this seasons performance so far).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I agree 100%.

If kerr continues to play a 1st Division Reserve centre back as a striker i think that just highlights the fact that he is in way over his head.
    Connoly is the only irish striker who has consistantly scored over the last 5 years and I think that should be rewarded with a call up against cyprus.
    I hope he has a good season.
    Dispite some moments of madness and the fact that him and robbie are too small to play together I think he has generally played well for ireland.

Fair play angry ant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

He called back Ian harte , why not call back David connolly ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Seaneh wrote:

If kerr continues to play a 1st Division Reserve centre back as a striker i think that just highlights the fact that he is in way over his head.
    Connoly is the only irish striker who has consistantly scored over the last 5 years and I think that should be rewarded with a call up against cyprus.

Its called an option, Connolly has not scored consistently as he likes to argue with coaches generally be a prick,sit on the bench getting paid for doing nothing, i wouldnt want him back playing for ireland for 1 reason.
    1 hes crap and no amount of games in the PL is gonna change that.

I`ll pin my teeny little hopes on Elliot being our main striker with Keane playing behind him. You can have your teeny hopes on Connoly :D

kdjac

Connolly has scored 87 goals in 195 League starts for Watford, Feyenoord, Wolves, Wimbledon, West Ham and Leicester during an 11-year professional career.

Sarge wrote:
    Connolly has scored 87 goals in 195 League starts for Watford, Feyenoord, Wolves, Wimbledon, West Ham and Leicester during an 11-year professional career.

Shame about 86 of those were for Exelsior in the dutch 15th divison. After he fought with the manager then sat on his contract to leave on a free.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    1 hes crap and no amount of games in the PL is gonna change that.
    And if he continues scoring for Wigan in the PL, he's still crap and should be overlooked for Elliot??

I know you dont like him (dunno where I get that idea :p ) but dont you think he should get recalled?

connolly only has scored one goal. I want to see him score again soon and often before he puts on the green

whiskeyman wrote:
    And if he continues scoring for Wigan in the PL, he's still crap and should be overlooked for Elliot??

I know you dont like him (dunno where I get that idea :p ) but dont you think he should get recalled?

If he gets 10 goals for the enitre season thats not a bad return but Elliot if he gets a run of games is bigger faster and more clinical, and has natural aggression. The perfect striker just needs more games be great if they were games that he won but thats unlikley.

So in reality our best goal options are heading back to Div 1 unless they hit 10 or more goals.

kdjac

• Advertisement

jubbly wrote:
    connolly only has scored one goal. I want to see him score again soon and often before he puts on the green
    what??
    He's only ever scored one goal? Not bad for a striker... why did Wigan pay £2m for him then? And he's worn the green already, so thats not a prerequisite. We could be waiting a long time if we said the same for Robbie at the moment!
    Connolly has actually scored 4 goals in Leicesters first 6 games in the Championship this season, and was on form towards the end of last season.
    So hes now 5 goals from 7 games already...
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say thats on form... :p

And by the way, I want Elliot on the squad too! The more options the better!
    Lets not make this an Elliot Vs Connolly thread.
    We may well play Elliot and Keane against Cyprus, but what if they're having a dire match?
    Bring on Harte again?
    Or the Doc?
    I'd rather an in-form striker on the bench (or already playing) than those two.

whiskeyman wrote:
    I'd rather an in-form striker on the bench (or already playing) than those two.

Dont forget Kevin Doyle :)

kdjac

Or Kerrs good luck charm, Graham Barrett. He seems to score every time he plays for Ireland! He is up in Livingstone this season, gettign regular starts so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

The_B_Man wrote:
    Or Kerrs good luck charm, Graham Barrett. He seems to score every time he plays for Ireland! He is up in Livingstone this season, gettign regular starts so far.
    He's had one game since moving there on loan. Hardly a regular yet.

Connolly prepared to answer Ireland's call
    ADVERTISEMENT
    Click here!

DAVID CONNOLLY is hoping for a recall to the Irish squad for next month's win or bust World Cup qualifiers against Cyprus and Switzerland.

Connolly hasn't played for Ireland since the 2-0 defeat by Switzerland in October 2003 - a defeat which ended the dream of going to Euro 2004.

He's very much a man in form at the moment, however. After scoring four goals in five games for Leicester City, he was the subject of a £2m dealine day transfer to Premiership newboys Wigan Athletic and marked his debut for them with a goal against West Bromwich Albion last Saturday.

Ireland are currently facing a striker crisis as Clinton Morrison is suspended for the trip to Cyprus on October 8 and both Robbie Keane and Stephen Elliot are struggling to get game-time in the Premiership this season.

Connolly would love the chance to add to his 40 caps. "I don't know why I've not played for two years," he said. "I did pull out of one squad with an injury. I don't think the manager was too happy with that and since then I've not been in.

"That could be because I was playing at a lower level, plus we've good players, so the call hasn't come. But I will just carry on doing my best."

The 28-year-old said he hadn't spoken to Kerr for some time but still follows the fortunes of the team. "I watched Wednesday's game against France in a pub and I was willing them on. It would be nice if I got a call, although I won't be expecting it. We will wait and see, but whether I get back in or not, I hope we qualify."

Wigan boss Paul Jewell is certainly full of praise for Connolly. "I thought David was excellent last saturday - in particular with his movement. He was alert, bright, worked hard and was a threat all afternoon.

"He's played at international level, although not in the Premiership, but he's a hungry boy and he wants to do well. He wants to work and to learn and I'm sure he will be a good acquisition."

Gerry McDermott
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1467283&issue_id=12992

Kerr has a excellent record with players, r.Keane, I.hearte and now hopefully Connolly (if he IS producing the goods).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Kevin Doyle scored for Reading again last night. Surely he has to be in contention to get into the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Kingp35 wrote:
    Kevin Doyle scored for Reading again last night. Surely he has to be in contention to get into the squad.

Clinton scored as well!! Whelan had a good game as well for teh mighty Shef Wed in a 1-0 victory over.................Leeds............. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Big Nelly wrote:
    Clinton scored as well!! Whelan had a good game as well for teh mighty Shef Wed in a 1-0 victory over.................Leeds............. :D

your just rubbing it in now!!

Kingp35 wrote:
    your just rubbing it in now!!
    rubbing it in would be reminding that it was a Man Utd player on loan!! :D

Finally... a win for the Owls!

whiskeyman wrote:
    rubbing it in would be reminding that it was a Man Utd player on loan!! :D

Finally... a win for the Owls!

Ill hold up my hands and say you deserved to win even if it was a *censored* player that scored the goal (my god that was hard to say)

I was glad to see Glen Whelan filling in as temporary captain

Lee Trundle also scored again. That's 6 goals in his last 5 games. I wish someone would buy him. Fulham were supposedly interested last season.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Aye scored two at the weekend, swansea are looking like a goood bet for promotion again this season, might be worth a tenner.
    I really think he would be a better optionm up front than the likes of the doc, he's built like a rugby full back and he is so skillfull.
    I'd love for ireland to play him, even if only in a friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

eirebhoy wrote:
    Lee Trundle also scored again. That's 6 goals in his last 5 games. I wish someone would buy him. Fulham were supposedly interested last season.

Ya he's class alright. Ever seen the Lee Trundle Showboat special?

http://www.footballclips.net/taxonomy_menu/1/22/25
    tis the second one down.

~Rebel~ wrote:

tis the second one down.
    And thats just 1 game. This is a comp from a game against Macclesfield at the end of last season:
    http://www.swanseacityafc.co.uk/download-file-27.html

Another comp:
    http://jaime.footballclips.net/2004-02-16_lee_trundle.wmv.zip

~Rebel~ wrote:

tis the second one down.
    Crikey!
    I have to be honest, I didnt know much about this lad.
    Going on his record, I sure would like him to get in a few friendlies and hopefully I higher club takes the gamble and buys him.

Trundle is a well built highly skillfull player who has been scoring on regular basis for a good few years now. He has been featured on Soccer AM loads of times because of the tricks he can pull off. Supposedly his reason for not moving clubs is that he doesnt want to leave Wales. Surely one of the bigger clubs could convince him otherwise. I think he would be a very good option for Ireland and we really should look into at least giving him a go in a friendly game.

game against Macclesfield
    I think he would be a very good option for Ireland and we really should look into at least giving him a go in a friendly game.

Jesus we not that hard up for players. He did that vs Macclesfield i would do that vs Macclessfield, i mean macclesfield ffs a boards.ie 11 would beat them.

There is no ifs and buts about it , if he was any good he would be the championship...< thats funny in a sad way.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Jesus we not that hard up for players. He did that vs Macclesfield i would do that vs Macclessfield, i mean macclesfield ffs a boards.ie 11 would beat them.

There is no ifs and buts about it , if he was any good he would be the championship...< thats funny in a sad way.

kdjac
    yeah, but Glen Crowe got a call up :D
    Just reading a few articles about him and he seems very loyal to his club.. wanting to stay to bring them up so he can get further recognition / boost chances for international call up.
    I hope that comment about not wanting to leave Wales isnt true though.
    Still, a very interesting prospect. We may well be seeing more of him around the Euro 08 qualifiers.

The main reason why glen crowe and jason byrne got a call up was to promote the eircom league and to raise the level of expectations which is what it has done , talking to glen crowe before , MONTHS back i asked him if he thought he get another call up his words "brian kerr is the man to do it" I love seening EL players given a go at friendly level but when it comes down to euro/world cup matchs i just havent got the full confidence in them just yet ! as much as i love the EL , its not good enough for a international scene just yet . but Kevin doyle Should get a call up soon shoouldnt he ?

Sarge wrote:
    The main reason why glen crowe and jason byrne got a call up was to promote the eircom league and to raise the level of expectations which is what it has done , talking to glen crowe before , MONTHS back i asked him if he thought he get another call up his words "brian kerr is the man to do it" I love seening EL players given a go at friendly level but when it comes down to euro/world cup matchs i just havent got the full confidence in them just yet ! as much as i love the EL , its not good enough for a international scene just yet . but Kevin doyle Should get a call up soon shoouldnt he ?

I would disagree the 2 players called up where stikers playing against good defenders. Dan Murray left back, Houlihan playing wide, Des Byrne on left, Osam in centre of the park any of them would have done a job for ireland when playing in their best form. The players picked were the wrong players at the wrong time. There have been better players who were never picked but may have been better than what was playing.

For Crowe to have shined he would have need ireland to press the other team into their half, Byrne would have needed to played on the break. Ireland just lump it so both looked **** and out of their depth.

kdjac

Sarge wrote:

I agree with this 100% and yeah i think if Doyle continues to play teh way he is then he will definitley be called up to the squad soon. I dont think it will happen until a friendly game though.

Yep Trundle is a very Loyal player. Kdjac many championship and even Premiership clubs have tried to sign him but he has turned them down as he doesnt want to leave Swansea. It is not because he doesnt have the talent to play at a higher level. Clearly many managers feel that he does have the required talent

• Advertisement
Advertisement