Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows TEMP folder (can i deleted its content)

• 31-08-2005 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is it safe to deleted the contents of the TEMP folder C:\WINDOWS\TEMP on this pc (not sure about the xp dir) cause its starting to weight in at a hefty ~700mb.

Jozi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

generally its safe to delete any files that are more than 1-2 weeks old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

as above ^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Its fine to delete the contents of the folder, just close open programs first (wouldn't be a good idea to be burning CDs while you do this for example!)

Well worth the download: http://www.ccleaner.com/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If you're using XP or 2K you don't need to download anything, just load up:

Program Files > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup

I just delete everything meself occasionally, Windows won't let you delete anything that's in use anyway.

adam

Crap cleaner cleans a bit more than the TEMP folder - have a look. I was sceptical at first too. Oh, its free as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Thanks guys/girls.
    You cleared up any doubt i had.
    Didnt check that program, yet.

Jozi

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Programs are supposed to clean up their files in the temp folder when they are finished with them. If you want to delete them manually , restart windows so you are sure no app could be open then you can delete the files.

the temp folder is shared on older versions of windows but on the newer ones each user defaults to their own temp folder
    start - run - %temp%

Quick Q: why is there a TEMP and a TMP folder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Cos the temp files normally have a file extension of .tmp. Its prolly a left over from the earlier versions of windows.

http://www.finetuning.com/articles/p4-1502-safely-deleting-files-from-your-computer.html

Advertisement