Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mp3 players

Options
  • 31-08-2005 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭

Ok I know this has been asked before but I have a new Golf that I'm looking to hook my creative zen touch up to it. Are the fm transmitters any good? I heard the sound is fairly bad. Where is the cheapest to get them.

Alternatively can I get a replacement vw radio with a line in. The radio int he golf is fairly good and I'd prefer not to change it as it looks well in the dash so if I could get a similar vw one I'd opt for that. I don't have a cd changer in it so I can't hook anything up to the cable.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

sprinkles wrote:
    Are the fm transmitters any good? I heard the sound is fairly bad. Where is the cheapest to get them.
    Pot luck, really - depends on what you buy and where you are (i.e. whether there are other signals transmitting on or near the same wavelength). I bought a cheapie on eBay and it works fine, 'cause there's nothing else on FM107.7...:) For a few bucks more you can get them with a choice of 3 or 4 different frequencies...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I found this :http://www.caraudio.ie/view_product.php?partno=KCA121B

Would that work with an mp3 player?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Dunno, that looks more like something to connect permanently at the back of your CD unit..:confused:

Stg£12 + delivery = €? I got my yoke for €9.03 delivered...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

sprinkles wrote:
    I found this :http://www.caraudio.ie/view_product.php?partno=KCA121B

Would that work with an mp3 player?

Thats for an Alpine headunit id say.

FM transmitters are grand but don't expect them to be 100%. I would always go for a wired option if possible. Alot of head units havve AUX inputs or CD changer inputs that you can get adapters for.

FM transmitters are ileagal here (and probably the EU in general) so EBay is generally your best bet for getting em. They eat batteries so theones with a car power adapter are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Smirky

The transmitters are grand down the country but muck in Dublin beacause of the high number of fm stations.

Pick up a PhatNoise in-car MP3 player, get a CD changer loom ($50 on the net) put em all in & have 20GB permanently in the car that is run & controlled from your VW radio.

Shout if you want more details.

S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

sprinkles wrote:
    The radio int he golf is fairly good and I'd prefer not to change it as it looks well in the dash so if I could get a similar vw one I'd opt for that. I don't have a cd changer in it so I can't hook anything up to the cable.
    The radio in the Golf should be a Blaupunkt, and all you need is a cable that plugs into the rear of the radio (CD/Aux in) and has a 3.5mm jack that you plug into the Zen's headphone socket.
    Cable here:
    http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/auxin.asp
    Note the VW exceptions at the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Should I mention that the FM transmitters are illegal, without a licence, in this country? :-D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Beat you to it but carefull ambro might watchin!! :p

Yeah, he sure had a pop at you over mentioning the legal issue before! Better hope he is not watching or we could have another nonsensical rant! :rolleyes:

Smirky wrote:
    The transmitters are grand down the country but muck in Dublin beacause of the high number of fm stations.

Pick up a PhatNoise in-car MP3 player, get a CD changer loom ($50 on the net) put em all in & have 20GB permanently in the car that is run & controlled from your VW radio.

Shout if you want more details.

S
    Surely that will cost a bomb. How much is the phatnoise anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

testicle wrote:
    Should I mention that the FM transmitters are illegal, without a licence, in this country? :-D
    Rew wrote:
    Beat you to it but carefull ambro might watchin!! :p
    Smirky wrote:
    Yeah, he sure had a pop at you over mentioning the legal issue before! Better hope he is not watching or we could have another nonsensical rant! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

The radio in the Golf should be a Blaupunkt, and all you need is a cable that plugs into the rear of the radio (CD/Aux in) and has a 3.5mm jack that you plug into the Zen's headphone socket.
    Cable here:
    Surely th VW exceptions at the bottom would rule this option out?!

Has anyone tried This?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

An fm modulator would also do the job, they are legal here, and are in line with the aerial so interference is rare unless the signal is very strong.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44128&doy=1m9

Hi Sprinkles,

Costs vary on the Phatnoise but you can probably get the latest VW one in here landedwith VAT etc paid for somewhere between €300 Then all you need is your CD changer loom, plug it all in & voila! Check out www.phatnoise.com

I have a Zen 60 & gave up trying to wire it into my Audi Concert so went this route instead.

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 remover

Cable here:

Hi,
    For most of the VW radios, and I am talkinkg here about Gamma and Beta, the Aux IN it is not active unless it detects an CD Changer connected to it. The Unit sends a signal to check for the presence of the CD Changer and if the CD Changer responds the Unit opens the Audio IN inputs. It uses the Panasonic Protocol for CD Changers. So, you need a CD Changer Emulator conected to your unit using the cd changer connector. I am working together with a friend to build one. Should be ready soon.. More info at www.conofrei.com
    Meanwhile I have a Phatbox in my VW. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

sprinkles wrote:
    Surely th VW exceptions at the bottom would rule this option out?!
    I don't think so - the Gamma and Beta models are for older VWs - isn't your's new?

I have done it with a Blaupunkt Lausanne, and it works fine.

no, it is not new.
    I've got my Phatbox for 250€. There is also a way to hack the phatbox drive and put in a bigger drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

remover wrote:
    no, it is not new.
    I've got my Phatbox for 250€. There is also a way to hack the phatbox drive and put in a bigger drive.

where did ya get it?

ebay..

Advertisement