Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CA1 options

• 31-08-2005 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

I've noticed a lot of ca1 folk round here, wondering if anyone has figured out what the permitted combinations of options are (these groups are confusin me :confused: ) and if you've decided which ones you're goin for.

Id prob do politics & topics in computing but I dont think I can, or I might see if I can pick physics and not go cause I passed it a couple of years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Topics is definitely worth your time, gives a vast outlook on a lot of stuff contained in the coming years. I took Electronics as my other choice and even though it was tough and i swapped it for Marketing in the next semester it was enjoyable. If you've done Physics in the past it shouldnt pose too much of a problem, choose carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

do not do accounting not unless you are savage at it and wathc out for ray walshe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

You can do accounting if you did economics or business, even if you didn't do economics then you can handle it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I did Topics and Physics myself and I have no problem recommending either. I had done Physics in the LC so that made Physics here really easy.
    Topics was a walk in the park also. I went to the first lecture and one in the middle of the semester and walked out with ~80% for the exams. The questions that come up on the exams are quite easy to predict however make sure you have no problem with essay style answers as there are only 4 on the paper.

Hope that helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

I did topics in computing and electornics 1 and 2.

in topics you will have some interesting stuff (some of it is boring). Electronics 1 is interesting but hard. Electronics 2 was interesting too (programming a robot in lab was a lot of fun).

If you do not have physics backgound, you will find electornics a bit hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Sarunas wrote:
    Electronics 2 was interesting too (programming a robot in lab was a lot of fun).

When the hell did we do that? Was that the thing with the lights and the C++.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

I've allready done the physics module, and I did a different electronics 1 and 2 so I dont think I'll be doing any of them. I would do topics and polotics, but i dont think i can take both of these together, which means Im stuck with French, which I'd really rather not do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Well unless anything has changed in 2 years then you can do politics and topics as I did it, 2 sweet modules aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Do topics, its a piece of piss, dont do ELECTRONICS! its horrible and taught by a terrible teacher. Politics is very good but its second semester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

no it aint, irish politics in the first semester, american in the second!! both passed with out an ounce of study!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

When do we choose our modules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

at registration, your given a form and you've to choose then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 d_fens

if you did physics in the leavng, i did honours, its a piss take :D

this is what the form will look like

Year Long Core Modules
    MS120 Mathematics 1
    Semester 1 Core Modules
    CA103 Computer Architecture 1
    CA165 Computer Programming I
    Semester 2 Core Modules
    CA104 Computer Architecture 2
    CA106 Web Design
    CA166 Computer Programming II

OPTIONAL MODULES:
    Choose 2 options for semester 1 from Groups A, B or C. NOTE that some semester 2 modules
    require a semester 1 module as a pre-requisite. These linked modules are shown with *

SEMESTER 1

ONLY one foreign language may be taken in Semester 1

GROUP A
    EE198 Electronics 1

FR119 French for Science and Technology I

GE119 German for Science and Technology I

GROUP B
    CA107 Topics in Computing

OR
    LG108 Introduction to Irish Political System

GROUP C

OR

AC106 Accounting for Non-Business Students

SEMESTER 2

Choose 1 option for Semester 2:

EE199 Electronics 2
    *Pre-requisite EE198
    FR129 French for Science and Technology II
    *Pre-requisite FR119
    GE129 German for Science and Technology II
    *Pre-requisite GE119
    MG101 Introduction to Marketing
    LG113 American Political System

just noticed from reading my post that since yesterday physics has been removed from the list.

I'll check my portal page again later, maybe its a temporary error or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

I recommend french, web design, topics... it will make your first year much easier and less boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 wizard eyes

well i shall be repeating all of programming maths n arch 2 this yr, go me!

just checked, physics is back on the list.

what is french like? how good do you have to be? I've only got an A in ordinary level LC. Should that cover me? Also is it totally geared towards computing, I'd like to learn french but only so that I can speak it generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Hey, anyone who has done the french module and knows what it's like could ye advise me? I got a C2 in the leaving in honours (unfair I thought i did better) and although I have a great interest in french, I'm not sure if i'de be up to the standard for the exams or whatever at the end of the semester.

If someone could let me know what sorta level it is and if it would be a good idea for me to take it up i'de appreciate it.

Otherwise I'm just gonna pick the easiest modules, probably politics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

d_fens wrote:
    if you did physics in the leavng, i did honours, its a piss take :D

well dont do what wizard eyes did and pick physics, never having dojne it before

if u do topics, the pass rate is like 95% or something stupid, physics is easy if u did it before, accounting is meant to be har, marketing - boring lecture - easy enough test (multiple choice but with negative marking)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I went to the first french lecture thinking it would be as if starting out from beginners level but unfortunately it's not. She talks french the entire time and i wouldn't recommend it for anyone who isn't already pretty good, hence i'm dropping it for physics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

sorry to bring up and old thread...but i missed the change of module form and am stauck doin electronics for the 1st semister now...absolute ****e :mad: boring as fook

Advertisement