Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Runied Tape

• 31-08-2005 2:53pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I went around Asia over the summer and did a bit of filming on my Sony Handycam.

Now, a month later, Im at home trying to load it onto my computer.
    But 3 of the nine tapes are ruined. The sound comes and goes every half a second or so and the picture is jumpy.

Anyone have nay idea what might have happened? They're Sony mini DV tapes. Could it have been the intense heat? Or the fact that Ive played them back a good bit on my Handycam> Should I have been using one of those machines to play them back and log them onto the computer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Sounds like wear and tear alright. Mini DV arent the most stable format Re: Use and re-use. Playing back in the camera probably didn't help much as the servos/read head in a camera aren't the best quality when it comes to playing back. Did they come incontact with any kind of magnet, either a very strong one briefly or a weak one for a prolonged period of time.

Could any dirt etc have gotten in? You might find that they will play back ok in a semi-pro or professional deck, as these will have better error concelment.

John

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks for your reply. I've been looking at these decks on ebay. They're all up in the thousands.
    Any idea where I could get a reasonalble second hand one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

You might be able to find a company to transfer it for you... save you buying a deck at all, it could work out cheaper if you can't find a reasonably priced deck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You wont get a cheap deck they are about £1200..... As Donkey Style Says, probably a better idea to get someone/company to transfer it for you. If you really wanted the footage, they'd probably have a engineer that could look a the tape and recover the stuff from it, that's if it didn't play in their deck.

John

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks guys. I'll go looking for one of those companies now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement