Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Furthest communiting distance?

• 31-08-2005 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

I'm buying a house within the next few months (or hope to be!). The property prices in Dublin have me seriously considering buying a house in Arklow (where my gf is from).

The problem is that I work in the city centre. I'm down in arklow nearly every weekend so i know it takes roughly 1:30 hours, but that's not in morning / evening rush hour.

Is anyone commuting for Arklow? Is it even possible? Alternatively is there anyone commuting similar or even further distances?

Is it totally insane to be considering moving to Arklow and having a circa 2 hour trip twice a day too and from work?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I am aware of a person who commutes from Wexford town. I think they leave around 6am and leave work around 4.30pm.

A number of people commute from Gorey.

Obviously Sept-May are the worst times, but now that the M50 has completely opened, things should be improved a little on the N11 route into Dublin.

You should not meet any traffic until the Loughlinstown roundabout and it will take a minimum of 50 minutes to get from there to city centre between 7.30am & 9am [ on a wet morning in winter, you might have to double that ].

A train leave Arklow at 7am and gets in to town around 8.45am. The return leaves town at 5.25pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

That train starts in Gorey at 0645 and there is a later service (ex-Connolly) at 1835.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Thanks for that guys. Yeah, i'd have to be getting the later train home at 6:35 cos i don't get out of work until 6.

Hmm.....so that's four hours every day. I'd need to get up at 6:30 and i'd be home by 8. So I reckon i'd need to be in bed between 10 - 11. So, i'd have 2 to 3 hours to myself each weekday evening.

I'll need to think about this. Quality of life, work/life balance and all that jazz ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

4 hours commute now! This will only get longer as the area from Arklow to Dublin will also get developed and more people cummuting before you. Fuel prices are more likely going to rise more than house prices and employment opportunities will always be more limited in Arklow compared with the city centre. Your house price will also rise slower meaning living closer to work could become more and more out of your reach as time goes on.

If you are making the decision just be informed. You will generally be better off buying closer a major centre if you need others to employ you. According to some studies every 15 minutes commuting time reduces personal time by 1 hour.

I am a city fan in fairness and not hot on country living or cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Worked with someone who lived in Arklow and drove to Clontarf every day. The company was flexible and allowed him to start at 10 thus missing out on the worst of the day there and back. Is that an option for you ? My own experience of the long distance commute ( no more :rolleyes: ) was to mix and match - train/car. That way you can keep the stress levels under control.

• Advertisement
Advertisement