Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Congratulations Athlone Town F.C.

• 31-08-2005 3:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Athlone last night ended a 10 game winless streak with fecking fantastic 2-0 win over Galway United in St. Mels Park (or Golden Island Park, depending on weather you like sponsers or not).

Anto Flood (on loan from St. Pats) and Robbie Hamm scored, the latters goal being escpically well taken.

I hope this is the first of many and we can push up the table from this and do a bit of a kilkenny.

"Oh athlone town

Is wonderful

Oh athlone town is wonderful......"

Sorry I'm a bit, erm, revved up by this.

P.S.
    that plonker Levine got sent off, was great, I bet he cried all night thinking of the scream of "Longford reject, Longford reject".

It was magical.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

All I know is that Wayside Celtic, a Leinster Senior League team out of their traditional season, put up more of a challege to Bohs in the Cup this year than Athlone did. I think Athlone have a bit more work to do before their fans should get too excited. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Athlone were in the middle of a bad patch when we played bohs.
    We have 4 news heads, new management team and a better trainign setup since then.

and to be honest the only differaince between the two teams that night was John Paul Kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

In fairness, Joxer was the cutting edge difference between the two sides, but even still, although Athlone had a lot of the ball, they didn't really threaten. Maybe Kelly was our only goal threat, but threat he was.

But now we have Austin Skelly (well soon anyway) and Anto Flood as well as ficra McArdle in the middle so things are looking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Seaneh wrote:
    But now we have Austin Skelly (well soon anyway) and Anto Flood as well as ficra McArdle in the middle so things are looking up.
    Austin Skelly is a lazy player with an extremely large head.

If he spent as much time actually playing football as he did throwing hissy-fits and with his hands on his hips he would be in with a shot of European-Player of the Year.

• Advertisement

I've heard he is really good, when he actually plays...

Gill will give him a kick up the arse if he needs it.

Apparently there is another player from Skellys amature team who is better and athlone are going in for him aswell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Ive seen Skelly play a number of times, and Ive never been impressed.

He has shown some lovely touches on occassions, rare occassions, but his overall game is poor.

He thinks hes the business, and that he doesn't need to work/tackle/defend. He is the type of player that will get sent off a couple of times a season.

Wayne Griffin is the other player you are talking about (I would imagine). Sligo were looking for him too as far as I know. He is the complete opposite to Skelly. A total terrier, work horse isn't the best word because he is small and slight, but the lad is a complete workhorse. Fantastic technique as well. Everything you want in a striker.

Advertisement