Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review me new site?

Options
  • 31-08-2005 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Just about to go live, in the next few days with this site - 95% there now.

Can anyone make any suggestion for improvements or final touches?
    (btw, design is by the owner, I only did the XHTML/CSS - 100% pure, of course... :P )

Also includes my patented* text zoom feature, go on -try it out, I dare ya ;)
    (Hld Ctrl and roll the mouse wheel for FF and IE)

*may not be true

Daniel Shiels - Concept Artist

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

I like it, simple, uncluttered, 7 +/- 2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

The font colour doesn't contrast enough with the background, so some of the text is hard to read

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Nice site. I think that making it a bit darker would help, you need a little bit more contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Look nice. Couple of things though...

When you click on a menu item the item gets a temporary red border, which seems unnecessary and makes things go ugly for a second. I'd consider removing that.

Also, see the attached image for a couple of problems I'm getting...
    1) The footer text isn't center aligned as I imagine it should be.
    2) The 'L' shaped corner bits aren't in the right place on the front page.

...that footer text is a bit hard to read too. Maybe make it the same blue colour as main body?

Using the latest Firefox release for Ubuntu Linux.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭P&L

Thanks for the replies guys, as for the contrast, yes it is a difficulty. But this is the design as supplied by the owner / artist, and I had to remain faithful.

It's not accessible but the required alternative is provided by the fact that all presentation is controlled by CSS. I also used a little trick to hide the non-"alt" described images when CSS is off. Which is a new departure for me, but I think is fairly useful.

Goodshape, thanks very much for the deeper look at it :)
    Straight away, It shows I forgot to define a full font-family :eek: the reason it is wrong for you is that you're missing 'Arial Narrow' face (which I thought was a websafe font!?)

That would make the text fit and the footer right-aligned, I just need to add some fallback-fonts for that.

I'm using 1.0.6 myself as well, one thing that is bugging me in firefox is that it wont animate the menu buttons on hover like IE and Opera. Does anyone know if there is a 'fix' for this?

As for the footer, I'm not too worried about it... the content is irrelavant to the site (mainly) and I dont want it distracting... I'll have to slim it down, but I always see this info as a bit of an evil.

Thanks again everyone, so everyone try the 'zoom' or is that already boring these days?

• Advertisement

oh yeah, and the red border is an aid for vision impaired, I need to address the contact form to have similar behaviours, it also remains highlighted if you use the keyboard to navigate through the links on a page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

nice design, only bad point is that it is hard to highlight the text, I like to do that as I read through a page to see where I am, and to increase contrast for easier reading.

any chance of you posting the text zoom code? I'd like to try it out on a couple of my sites. :D

yeah, it's all absolutely positioned... turn off the style sheet (one click with Opera (and FF, I think) to read like that.
    Or even hit Ctrl+A and then V in the latest Opera Beta to have the page read out to loud to you (XP Only :( )

the text zoom code is all in there, with comments, basically define heights and width with em's rather than px or pt.

Images are the only tricky bit

Advertisement