Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same Number, multiple prefixes?

• 31-08-2005 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭

I know that you can port your number - regardless of prefix - from network to network.

What I would like to know is if you have (say) 086 1234567 as your number on one network, is it possible to get 085 1234567 or 087 1234567 or 083 1234567 if you wanted on another SIM?

I would like an 085 version of my number, but retain the 086 version too.

A further question - if I can't have another version of my number, is it possible for it to be allocated / issued to anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Dial it and offer the person who own it, if any, money for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

You definitely used to be able to do this. I used to work for O2 and set someone up with 086 version of their (087) number. Both were in use for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I thought that you couldn't have 085 <some number> and 086 <same number> ??

I thought that the 7 digits after the prefix was unique, regardless of network? I remember back "in the beginning" how they could "port" your number by simply changing the prefix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Do they not have to be unique? otherwise you couldnt port to another network and keep your number.

oops thats what i get for skim reading the posts anove me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Yes it's possible. I know a guy who got an 086 version of his 087 number. Also know a father and son in business together, one has 086 and the other has 087 version of the same number. You might be expected to prove that you own that number before you can receive a duplicate, thus sorting the aforementioned porting issue.

• Advertisement

Before porting was possible,I had an 087 and 086 with the same 7 dig number.
    I ported both to meteor so I had a bill phone 086 and pay as you go 087 both with meteor and both with the same 7 dig number and I still have.

I'll be porting the 086 to 3 soon if the regulator would slap meteor et al into allowing the porting :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I have both the 086 and 087 versions of my number ....As far as I know the number after the prefix is not given out and you can request it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

You are talking about partical number portability (PNP) which was the before full number portability (FNP). I have not heard of anyone request PNP since FNP came in but it might still be possible. AFAIK, PNP was offered on contract only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

As far as I know, ComReg have to allocate certain number ranges to mobile companies. Now that full number portability is in place, you can't get 085,6,7 versions as these aren't in the number range.
    Like most people on 087 have a 2, 4, 6, 9, or 1 after the 7.
    086 have 0, 1, 3, 4, 8
    Meteor have 7 and 1.
    Something to do with allocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Genghis

Earthman wrote:
    Before porting was possible,I had an 087 and 086 with the same 7 dig number.
    I ported both to meteor so I had a bill phone 086 and pay as you go 087 both with meteor and both with the same 7 dig number and I still have.

I'll be porting the 086 to 3 soon if the regulator would slap meteor et al into allowing the porting :mad:

Earthman, you know when you ring / text someone using you 087 number, and they have only the 086 version of the number in their phone, does your name come up as stored (even though it isn't the exact match of the number you are calling from) or does it come up simply as your number calling (i.e. it doesn't match anything stored in their phone).

Weird question? I remember a long time ago that mobiles used just look at the last 6 digits in a number coming in and used that to find the callers name in the phone book. I'd like to know if this is still the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Airwaves

you name comes up with both numbers on a nokia as it just looks at the last 6 digits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ferryman

Pythia is right. I tried to do this a few years back before I moved from O2 to Meteor (I wanted an 086 and 085 version of my number), and I was told that due to number allocation issues Meteor couldn't provide numbers beginning with an 8. It might however be possible for certain numbers, although the way in which handsets and sims are distributed nowadays might make it tricky. Have a look at the Comreg number allocation checker to view the number ranges allocated to each operator:
    http://www.comreg.ie/numbering/num_nat_num_search.asp

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Airwaves wrote:
    you name comes up with both numbers on a nokia as it just looks at the last 6 digits

Thats correct for any phone I have ever used .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

The bad news is that this isn't always possible. I started out on Digiphone 086-<my number> (in 98) and moved to Eircell (in 99) and so my prefix changed to 087, by 2000 Digiphone had given the 086 version of number out to someone else!

Paddy

PS I think, the 086 version of my number is out of use again now, as the person who had it got sick of people ringing looking for me! (some of my co-workers took 3 years to correctly update their phonebooks!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 cb750

I've got 085, 086 and 087 on the same number
    First was 087, then when esat came along I just asked for the same number
    and the same when Meteor started up they just gave it to me.

I think I was just lucky that I went to Esat and Meteor shortly after each one launched.
    I get very few "wrong number" calls :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭lau1247

I had always used 087 [ vodafone ] all along..

When meteor started the free txt promotion a while back like 2 yrs ago to get people to switch to their network..
    The one with free txt and 100 euro credit..

Well they ask if I want the same number..
    I took it and now I have both meteor and vodafone with the same number..

my vodafone is on bill so it's alright..
    But meteor is a annoying bcoz I have to top up everynow and again.. why can't they just abolish the must top up once within 6 month period or they cut your service thing??

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Er... Why do you think?
    I don't think every 6 months is too much to ask.

sharkman wrote:
    Thats correct for any phone I have ever used .
    yup for texts and calls.

Pythia wrote:
    Er... Why do you think?
    I don't think every 6 months is too much to ask.

I don't think that's too much to ask but I really hardly use my meteor..

Believe it or not I topped up with 20 back in around the end of april and I just finished it today..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

lau1247 wrote:
    I don't think that's too much to ask but I really hardly use my meteor..

Believe it or not I topped up with 20 back in around the end of april and I just finished it today..

Your the type of person they dont want on the network cos they make no money out of you, butthey wouldnt get away with making you top up every week or 2.

• Advertisement

well there are many type of person.. heavy user uh hum..
    And light user..

Plus I'm not exactly reeking money enough to waste it on top up credit every few wk..

Any business big or small is still business..

Advertisement