Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Please?

• 31-08-2005 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hey there,

I'm trying to hook up my girlfriends computer to the eircom netopia modem. The main house computer is already hooked up using one ethernet port and there's a free port available. The compters are practically beside each other. The main comp is running windows xp home edition and the gf's comp is running windows 98. Now, where do ya reckon I start? Cheers a mil,

Gary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

If there's also a USB port you may be able to use that for the second PC. Or I've got a Linksys Cable/DSL Router with 4 port switch going cheap! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Is the free port USB or Ethernet?

If its Ethernet you'll need a network card in the 2nd PC! Then make sure that Client for Microsoft Networks & TCP/IP are installed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

More than likely you are going to have problems trying to use USB and windows 98. Wasnt it only in windows 98se that they began to support usb properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

Q. What versions of Windows support USB?
    A. You need Windows 95 versions OSR2, 2.1, or 2.5 or Windows 98 for USB.

http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/usbspt.htm

Google it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

The free port is an ethernet port. I'm pretty sure it's not a usb modem although it's not in front of me at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement