Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"limited or no connectivity" error message ?? TCP/IP problem

Options
  • 31-08-2005 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

have a wireles router at home. My laptop(XP Pro) has been able to connect to it fine for over a month now but this morning i get a "limited or no connectivity" message from it and it refuses to work.

The problem has something to do with IP addresses - if i assign a static IP to the laptop, everything works except Internet Connection sharing (ICS never works with static IPs). ICS is important to me so i can't afford this.

In fact, when the "limited or no connectivity" icon is up, everything works except things that depend on TCP/IP. So i've got a problem with TCP/IP.

If i disable TCP/IP i'm in exactly the same situation except that i don't get any error messages and the icon in the system tray is the normal network icon.

If I try to "repair" the connection everything goes wrong at the renewing IP address stage. I get messages saying the network did not supply an IP address or that the present IP address could not be renewed. If I dissconect and reconnect I it spends ages "aquiring IP address" and then connects, giving me the "limited or no connectivity" icon in the system tray.

I'm guessing that the Laptop is trying to give itself an IP adress thats outside the normal range for networks - the IP address it qoutes in properties is 169.254.something which isn't like a network address (don't they start with 192.168....?)

Basically, has this happened to anyone else before and what did you do? Anyone got any helpful suggestions?

Thanks....

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Your DHCP server stoped working. Have you rebooted/plugged out/in your router. They can go a bit wonky and need a kick every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Manually configure you ip settings, ip ala 192.168.x.x subnet, gateway and dns.

Can also be caused by a firewall with secuirty level too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 StephenRyan

Is manually configuring my IP settings the same thing as setting static IPs?

If so, how do I get ICS to work at the same time? doesn't ICS conflict with static IPs?

If its not the same thing, how do i do it?

Actually, i just unplugged + replugged my router and everything now works... thanks... brilliant advice!

Told ya! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 StephenRyan

Yes you did.... I bow to your superior knowledge...

• Advertisement

LOL, don't bow I just have plenty of experience with ****ty consumer networking gear!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Im having the same trouble with the desk top for the past two days.A scanner has deleated my internet settings and I cannot renew them.When I try and repair the connection a error message pops up saying it cannot renew my ip address???w.t.f do I do to fix this issue...its doing my head in.

The scanned detected Adware.NDotnet wich some sort of redirecter for ip addresses and its shagges since I uninstalled this and a i.e.browser plugin which is part of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ^Im with Stupid

I've recently purchased a laptop. I've tried connecting it and my desktop PC together with an Ethernet connection. It's direct, so there's no shared internet or the like. But the laptop has been suffering from pretty much the same issues listed in the first post. It takes ages to connect and gives me the "limited or no connectivity" msg.

The PC registers the Laptop connected though. LAN games will work ok, but I cannot use file sharing as neither computer appears on the others network places.

I've tried manually configuring the IP address to no avail. Any help on offer would be greatly appreciated. Keep it simple though, as much as I know about computers, Im pretty new to the Networing scene. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

i have a wireless router and have both pc and laptop working from it i have had the same problem of limited or no connection

1 reboot the machine normally works first
    2 check settings of router most error i encountered is the VPI/TC setting (icould list till the cows come home)
    but cant sorry mine have reset thenselves once or twice
    3 call customer services i did it every time now can i do it all by myself(good boy)lmao

• Advertisement
Advertisement