Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Guns - cost and profit margins

Options
  • 31-08-2005 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

All,

I am always shocked at the price of new guns these days, and I know the euro doesn't help, but what kind of percentage are dealers in the south making on new guns? I reckon it must be near enough on 30-40% based on prices I've seen for new Berettas and Brownings...

Let me know your opinions

cheers

cycllops

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

That's not a million miles off the mark actually. The good news is you can generally do a lot better. That markup generally includes covering for a trade-in which can often make a loss once VAT is considered. Go buy your gun with cold hard cash, and bargain hard, you should bring that right down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

Well considering that whatever firearm you buy will need constant feeding and cleaning I would hope an arms dealer will try and foster a good relationship with you and hence capture your ammo expenditure. At least thats been my experience, and the dealers that have been good to me have received $xxxx sales as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I think 30% is a reasonable margin- considering the cost of maintaining a shop and such. Most of us will only buy a few firearms in our lifetime thats why there are so few dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

but what kind of percentage are dealers in the south making on new guns? I reckon it must be near enough on 30-40% based on prices I've seen

Based on the prices I've seen advertised in the US .. the price conversion ratio
    seems to work as follows.

1: Take the US Price in dollars.
    2: Double it :
    3: Call the resulting figure Euros. :mad:

It's not just guns either , practically all shooting related stuff is the same .
    Take Scopes for example.

A Swift riflescope sells in the US for $177 = €143.00
    The same scope is on sale here for €330.00.

If anyone wants to check ...

http://www.eabco.com/Swift01.htm

And then ring just about any firearms dealer here that sells them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Ammoman

jaycee wrote:
    Based on the prices I've seen advertised in the US .. the price conversion ratio
    seems to work as follows.

1: Take the US Price in dollars.
    2: Double it :
    3: Call the resulting figure Euros. :mad:

It's not just guns either , practically all shooting related stuff is the same .
    Take Scopes for example.

A Swift riflescope sells in the US for $177 = €143.00
    The same scope is on sale here for €330.00.

If anyone wants to check ...

http://www.eabco.com/Swift01.htm

And then ring just about any firearms dealer here that sells them.

I agree that we are being ripped off here but you are all forgetting that if the dealer orders items from the US for example , he has to pay handeling charges and excise duties Postage etc , that is a conciderable wad of cash .I know from personal experiance , I ordered in some cleaning equipment recently and when it arrived here I was asked to pay more than the items cost in duties. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

i think 40% is fair anough considering the amount of business gun dealers do

ive bought scopes before in america off ebay i got a hawke scope for €50 brand new i think it would have cost me €150 here at least and customs never charge on ebay goods which is handy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

ive bought scopes before in america off ebay i got a hawke scope for €50 brand new i think it would have cost me €150 here at least and customs never charge on ebay goods which is handy

You have been lucky plenty of others have been caught for duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Ammoman

i think 40% is fair anough considering the amount of business gun dealers do

The other thing you dont get from e bay purchases is a warranty , If you purchase scopes or anything else abroad , you have to return it to the place of purchase for your guarantee to be valid , that can be a costly exercise .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Only semi true a good manufacturer will honor its warrenty anywhere, never tried it with a scope though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Originally Posted by psittacosis
    ive bought scopes before in america off ebay i got a hawke scope for €50 brand new i think it would have cost me €150 here at least
    If you purchase scopes or anything else abroad , you have to return it to the place of purchase for your guarantee to be valid , that can be a costly exercise .

In fairness .. it's hardly a worry if you can buy 3 for the price of 1..
    50 --- > 150 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

a warrenty doesnt really concern me as long as you buy quaility products and take care of them they should last forever in the case of guns

Advertisement