Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over zealous mods?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It's a b*tch when you're a cmod or smod as the quota is tallied for all boards modded plus category quota and/or plus site quota. Therefore if Giblet was a C-mod on top of being a mod on 8 fora he would have effectively 16 forum quotas to fulfill. Smods quota is x4 a forum quota not including any specific forums they have quotas for of course.

Oh, err, CuLT, you do have a banning quota, I don't think you've been informed yet. Check yer pms maybe?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Gordon wrote:
    It's a b*tch when you're a cmod or smod as the quota is tallied for all boards modded plus category quota and/or plus site quota. Therefore if Giblet was a C-mod on top of being a mod on 8 fora he would have effectively 16 forum quotas to fulfill. Smods quota is x4 a forum quota not including any specific forums they have quotas for of course.

Oh, err, CuLT, you do have a banning quota, I don't think you've been informed yet. Check yer pms maybe?
    Just checked!

Don't know how I missed that. I'd better get on making up for all the lost bannings before DeV goes oldskool on me :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Thanks for calling us retards!

I prefer 'special' :)

Good to see someone else watched that episode. Absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

magpie wrote:
    If you think of moderators as being like the 'Charity Car Wash' guys from Curb Your Enthusiasm (especially en masse) you understand how to deal with them.

if you think of specific users as being like Gumby from Monty Python you understand how to deal with them...

Specific users include those people who are abusive, are banned, and then try to get out of it by some pedantic technicality, when really at the end of the day they were just abusive.
    those people who jump on the usual mod bashing bandwagon.
    those people who just liike to fight the power for the common man, because someone has to fight the evil opressors on boards.ie
    hippys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

try to get out of it by some pedantic technicality

Didn't think there were any such things? :confused:(not a wisecrack btw, genuine query - oh, and that's 'technicalities' to get out of a ban, of course, not the pedantic bit)

'always assumed (wrongly?) once you're banned you're banned, in pure autocratic mode, but just like any other Moderated Public Forum...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

egan007 wrote:
    Oh backup great!
    It's like a brotherhood!

It's not like a brotherhood, it is a brotherhood, although the word community is probably better as brotherhoods tend to be small and it's less annoying for the female members.

But no man! I'm with you! Fight on the good fight! Question us at every turn! Call conspiracy on the slightest thing! IT'S SO EXCITING!

ambro25 wrote:
    blah blah words blah ... just like any other Moderated Public Forum...?

This is not just like any other Moderated Public Forum. It's quite different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

ambro25 wrote:
    Didn't think there were any such things? :confused:(not a wisecrack btw, genuine query - oh, and that's 'technicalities' to get out of a ban, of course, not the pedantic bit)

'always assumed (wrongly?) once you're banned you're banned, in pure autocratic mode, but just like any other Moderated Public Forum...?
    You are correct. Mods will listen to genuine arguments about why someone shouldn't have been banned (rare) and to apologetic explanations of misunderstanding (less rare, but still pretty rare).

Going through the charter like a lawyer is pointless though. We don't give a damn if you were technically within the rules. The rules are there to give people a good idea as to what will result in moderator action, but the spirit of the law is more important than the letter of the law.

Common sense applies. Unfortunately common sense isn't very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

:rolleyes:

'think I'll leave you mods to your fun, then.... ciao ciao!

EDIT - above @ amp, not Talliesin
    @ Talliesin - much obliged for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

The lack of a Fight the Power gathering card in this thread disturbs me.

• Advertisement

setmypeoplefree.jpg isn't a million miles away.

ambro25 wrote:
    :rolleyes:

'think I'll leave you mods to your fun, then.... ciao ciao!

Hurrah! \o/

Draupnir wrote:
    The lack of a Fight the Power gathering card in this thread disturbs me.

someone put together one quick with public enemy as the picture and the body text something along the lines of:

played at any misguided poster who believes that adding his voice of discontent towards the admins will strengthen any argument

with the quote 'i know what you are, but what am i?'

amp wrote:
    Hurrah! \o/

exactly, now where were we?

ah yes, point 6.c. on the world domination plan......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I began my Boards life with the disgruntled, fight the power, freedom of speech attitude.

I think it took me about 6 months to realise that Boards is all about fitting in with the system, taking the odd ban on the chin and adjusting your own posting attitude to boards rather than trying to adjust boards to your posting attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

amp wrote:
    It's not like a brotherhood, it is a brotherhood, although the word community is probably better as brotherhoods tend to be small and it's less annoying for the female members.

Yeah, it's got quite a few perks. Free VHI, a pension scheme, 24 hour hooker and coke delivery and nothing beats that warm glow you get from oppressing others on a daily basis.

Also, banning is good for your complexion, a recent study has shown.

nesf wrote:
    Also, banning is good for your complexion, a recent study has shown.
    It's true. I haven't banned anyone all week, and now I've a massive zit on the side of my nose :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

Mods are very important, just like school corridor monitors! :D

*Present Hall Pass*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

nesf wrote:
    nothing beats that warm glow you get from oppressing others on a daily basis.

It's more addictive than crack. CRACK, I TELL YOU!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

nesf wrote:
    *Present Hall Pass*

It droped out of my pocket as I was running for the bus!! :o

I'll bring it in tomorrow. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Seems to me that the www.boards.ie MODs have become dehumanised to a very worrying extent.

- Theres no first/last name, or any other personalised characteristic for people to focus on, thus when people feel hard done by they just lash out without ever realising the hurt they cause, the same way as they would harshly criticise a parking meter or even a washing machine.

Its like when you see a traffic warden bringing his dog for a walk or when Jesus saw the tax collector bringing his kids to the Zoo - posters just have to realise that MODs are simply people doing a job and are fragile and vulnerable too.

Draupnir wrote:
    I began my Boards life with the disgruntled, fight the power, freedom of speech attitude.

I think it took me about 6 months to realise that Boards is all about fitting in with the system, taking the odd ban on the chin and adjusting your own posting attitude to boards rather than trying to adjust boards to your posting attitude.
    You have no IDEA just how much I adjusted my attitude since joining boards.ie :)

Basically boards taught me how to respond to argument coherently; though it did have the side effect of sometimes having me adjust my logic to fit an argument... useful for debates, tends to make you look like a twat half the time though.

I find myself arguing for the sake of arguing! That's the hardest lesson to learn, or has been for me - diplomacy.
    It is much more difficult to be a diplomatic mod than an autocratic one; you actually have to think about things rather than just react. It's comparable to playing good or evil in a game. It's always easier to be evil.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Sarky wrote:
    CRACK, I TELL YOU!
    /oscarBravo obediently cracks.

CuLT wrote:
    It is much more difficult to be a diplomatic mod than an autocratic one; you actually have to think about things rather than just react. It's comparable to playing good or evil in a game. It's always easier to be evil.

I'd agree. Knowing when to ban or lock and when a simple warning will suffice is very debatable. Different mods have different styles but tbh I think a lot of it comes from the forum itself. Some forums tend to be better behaved and all you need to do is ask people nicely and they'll get back in line.

I wish they were all like that. Makes life much easier :)

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Maybe a little late, but as per request:

Fight%20The%20Power.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

No matter how nerdy you may think those cards are, they always ring true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Giblet wrote:
    No matter how nerdy you may think those cards are, they always ring true.

For some reason, it strike me as the funniest thing I've heard all day.

Meh. Maybe its been TOO long a day.

I just have this image in my head of a dorky lanky red haired kid with freckles, wild hair and glasses saying that phrase.

......I'll let myself out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'll have you know I'm as cool as one of those "New Kids".

• Advertisement

Giblet wrote:
    I'll have you know I'm as cool as one of those "New Kids".
    Damn kids with your "rock music" and your "cd players".

GET A JOB YOU HIPPIES.

<this message is brought to you by five vodka & red plus an uncounted number of pints>

Advertisement