Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over zealous mods?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 janet

To a man with a hammer every problem is a nail. Besides, Talliesin covered all (her?) bases when (s)he said
    We don't give a damn if you were technically within the rules.
    and then
    Common sense applies. Unfortunately common sense isn't very common.
    I suggest that based on the tone of DublinWriter's message which got him banned, that the mod who banned him also lacked the latter, but that doesn't matter, as he's the one with the hammer.

Wow, assonance as well.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

janet wrote:
    To a man with a hammer every problem is a nail. Besides, Talliesin covered all (her?) bases when (s)he said

and then

I suggest that based on the tone of DublinWriter's message which got him banned, that the mod who banned him also lacked the latter, but that doesn't matter, as he's the one with the hammer.

Wow, assonance as well.
    "he's the one who's the hatter."

tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

janet wrote:

and then

Wow, assonance as well.

It is cut and dry when it comes to forums like this though. It'd be nice to take every case and weigh up the pros and cons, but this is easier and more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

janet wrote:
    Well this thread has gone *wildly* off topic since my OP!

My original contention was not for the existence of mods. I think they are needed and anyone who's visited the Ireland rooms on Yahoo will probably back me up, but my argument was about the quality of moderateship and how they seem to take a rare delight in having a power over people here that they totally lack in real life. Here's another case in point...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=3302578#post3302578

I think discussion here should be reflective of any public discussion held in any public forum. Just imagine if you were having a conversation in a pub with your mates, and someone came up, flashed a card at you and barred you because they didn't like what you were saying, even though they weren't invited to the conversation in the first place.

At the end of the day, we can moan and whine about mods, but they are necessary.

However, the actions of mods speak for themselves. Good mods (which the majority are) are pervasive, yet unobtrusive, but bad mods basically show themselves up for the social inadequates that they are and relish the wee-bit of power that they've managed to achieve in this life.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

However, the actions of mods speak for themselves. Good mods (which the majority are) are pervasive, yet unobtrusive, but bad mods basically show themselves up for the social inadequates that they are and relish the wee-bit of power that they've managed to achieve in this life.

To be honest, I don't think there are many mods on here that relish the "power" they have. Most of us do it because we want to give back to the community or we hope to build or guide a forum in a particular way. Moderating a bulletin board is not easy, it takes a lot of time and you very rarely get any thanks. You keep a watch on things, keep things in check and deal with problems when they come up.

I don't think anyone could get off on the power for long. There isn't much tbh. You can't just ban people on a whim, the admins would happily remove you, or possibly ban you for such behaviour. Also, most of your time, as a mod, is spent reading threads. Not doing anything, just reading threads. You don't get to throw your weight around, because quite simply 99% of the time there's nothing to do as a mod except watch.

I don't think people appreciate just how much free time the mods give to this site. It's not like it's a paid position or anything. Then you get into the abuse. I'm sorry, but the amount of abuse given to mods here can sometimes be shocking. "Social inadequates" is one of the milder terms I've heard used.
    my argument was about the quality of moderateship and how they seem to take a rare delight in having a power over people here that they totally lack in real life.

See, here's another thing. Why do people take the internet so damn seriously? It's a discussion board ffs. Saying mods on here are making up for power not held in real life is as valid as accusing a chairman of an academic debate of the same. Really. Do you honestly think that there is power being a mod? Do you seriously believe that mods on here get off on the "power" they wield? There is no power. It's a bulletin board. One site amoung thousands like it. Anyone who honestly believes that being a mod means power hasn't grasped the internet yet tbh.

The quality of the moderatorship can be variable. We are human after all. It's not like there is a legal structure planning out this for us. We have to take each situation as it comes. In your case, you were out of line and you got banned for it. A bit harsh perhaps, but fair. There was a warning and you chose to ignore it. I do not see how you can feel that you were ill-treated.

Consistency is one of the top things we can strive for. I can honestly say to you that it didn't matter that it was you who posted. Anyone who posted there would have gotten a temp ban.

If you are insinuating that I like to throw my weight around as a mod, then tbh I'm a little suprised. I rarely ban posters (spammer's are an exception) and rarely close threads on most of the boards that I moderate. Tbh, I can't remember banning anyone else from Work. Then again my memory is bad. :)
    I think discussion here should be reflective of any public discussion held in any public forum. Just imagine if you were having a conversation in a pub with your mates, and someone came up, flashed a card at you and barred you because they didn't like what you were saying, even though they weren't invited to the conversation in the first place.

See, that simply doesn't work as an analogy.

If we were speaking in person, it would be a lot different. People are much better behaved in person than they are online. For instance, I never get insulted in real life, while on here, it happens daily. Some people seem to drop their manners when they log on. That, or they lack them completely. Either way, that's not acceptable. If this was a debate, then it wouldn't be acceptable. If it was a chat over a pub table, I'd be ignoring the muppet with no manners. Or telling them to shut up.

Real life conversation and the internet are not the same. How many 15 year olds troll conversations in bars? How many adults for that matter? It's rare. On here, it's near constant. But you don't get to see that, because the mods clean all that up before people see it. Most of the time. We have lives too that get in the way a lot of the time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Oh look a User called Janet.....

Hi Bubbles :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

Here's another case for you

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3300463&postcount=84

after saying that he goes and posts this before he locked the thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3302492&postcount=6

I thought there was a rule about picture size and text or does that not apply to the Mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

...again, i have to say, youd either have to be thick, or stupid, or trolling to do something like that.

If this is not personal abuse, what is?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

esel wrote:
    If this is not personal abuse, what is?

id say its an open question to someone to explain what state of mind they are in when they posted.
    just because i have a few suggestions, doesnt mean i am calling someone that. i may think it, but tis not even insinuated.

too many people being far too sensitive.

perhaps they should all just have a day off and take stock of their lives.

and dont mind merc, hes just being a **** :)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

UberNewb wrote:

I thought there was a rule about picture size and text or does that not apply to the Mods?
    Awesome, I can lock threads on Feedback now :)

Why bother responding reasonably to someone unreasonable? You're just the latest in a long line of fight-the-power muppets boards has seen over the years; you all either burn out or fade away.
    None of you stick around, because there is nothing you can do to change boards.ie and it frustrates you that people don't harken to your complaints about a system that has run and grown exponentially over seven years.

And yes, there is a rule about text and images in sigs, but the text is providing information about boards.ie to the general user populace. Hence why it's there.

On a side note, I was hideously inebriated last night, it's always an interesting rollercoaster the day after a drunken posting spree :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

but my argument was about the quality of moderateship and how they seem to take a rare delight in having a power over people here that they totally lack in real life. Here's another case in point...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=3302578#post3302578

I'm trying and failing to see how the posts by the mod in the above thread amount to taking " a rare delight in having a power over people...". Seriously, I just don't see it.

Also, given that you know nothing about the real lives of most if not all mods, I don't see why you feel qualified to make comments on that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

CuLT wrote:
    On a side note, I was hideously inebriated last night, it's always an interesting rollercoaster the day after a drunken posting spree :)

YEP!

, but my argument was about the quality of moderateship and how they seem to take a rare delight in having a power over people here that they totally lack in real life. Here's another case in point....

and by the same token, my understanding of you who, i know absolutely nothing about could be that you are 19, single, living at home with your mother, masturbate continuously over copies of the Daily Sport with you co-workers at the factory leave behind after a shift, have no social life, acne ridden, have one leg shorter than the other - the left one, and you are now upset because you thought you had found a place on the interweb where you could be the person you always wanted to be between your 786 level mage in Everquest II, and your boards.ie nick proclaiming you to be some sort of literary arteest that would garner you some respect from the community.

am i spot on with any of that, or is it just as much bullshít as you are now coming out with?

the difference is, your statement is one of fact, while mine is one speculation.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Come on then, explain how that one illustrates your point.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

UberNewb wrote:

Oh, the hypocrisy! Except CuLT can't lock threads on the Feedback forum.

You are confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

CuLT wrote:
    Why bother responding reasonably to someone unreasonable? You're just the latest in a long line of fight-the-power muppets boards has seen over the years; you all either burn out or fade away.

:eek: I have no intention of fighting any borads powers. Only the evil power at the bottom of my garden :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

ooh, i think i can do this thread in a summary.

Nyah nyah nyah, i got banned, nyah nyah nyah, my penis is too small, nyah nyah nyah

...i think it works pretty well.

*sits back and waits for the pullitzer*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

crash_000 wrote:
    ooh, i think i can do this thread in a summary.

Nyah nyah nyah, i got banned, nyah nyah nyah, my penis is too small, nyah nyah nyah

...i think it works pretty well.

*sits back and waits for the pullitzer*

At least he has one. Some people are women.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They don't use the internet though.

but my argument was about the quality of moderateship and how they seem to take a rare delight in having a power over people here that they totally lack in real life.
    and by the same token, my understanding of you who, i know absolutely nothing about could be that you are 19, single, living at home with your mother, masturbate continuously over copies of the Daily Sport with you co-workers at the factory leave behind after a shift, have no social life, acne ridden, have one leg shorter than the other - the left one, and you are now upset because you thought you had found a place on the interweb where you could be the person you always wanted to be between your 786 level mage in Everquest II, and your boards.ie nick proclaiming you to be some sort of literary arteest that would garner you some respect from the community.

am i spot on with any of that, or is it just as much bullshít as you are now coming out with?
    Totally off the beam. I don't want to personalise this argument, but I've obviously hit a raw nerve with some.

As this threat has gone wildly off-topic, I'll restate what I originally said by saying that while the quality of moderateship on boards.ie is generally high, there is an increasingly alarming pattern of certain mods banning people on a totally arbitrary and capricious way contrary to the 'now you're takin' spirit of boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

DublinWriter - take a hint: you'll never get a Mod to admit they were wrong (that's the beauty and appeal of autocracy ;) ), never mind a flock as in this here-thread, so just leave it be... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

*shrugs*

If I was wrong I'd admit it, but tbh, so long as a warning is given it's pretty clear cut imho.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

You two need to realise one thing.

These 'certain moderators' who seem to be 'trigger happy' are the ones who watch very popular forums that bring a lot of traffic, and with this traffic comes a torrent of bull****ters only too willing to rush in and ignore the rules that have been supplied over the years in order to keep the peace. 50% of most visitors to these popular forums have never even glanced at the supplied charter, so it's certainly not suprising when a backwash of ignorant pricks crawl in here crying about what happened to them (In a forum, might I add, that is not even dedicated to discussion regarding 'Wah wah I was banned', which is furthur proof of my above point)

Popular and well greased forums are more inclined to attract people to them, and the more people you have the more errors will occur - This is simple fact.
    If you are going to contribute to the hassle they are there to prevent, don't bitch about it when you are dealt with.

When a moderator has to deal with this form of ignorance on a DAILY BASIS, you have to understand that steps need to be made in order to keep the peace for the humble majority. A moderator certainly isn't going to dwell over having banned someone, when they are probably already in the process of correcting or banning a multitude of other people at the same time for causing the same kind of **** you were just banned for, and thanks to them having no idea of the rules they had broken at the time, the natural reaction is to think that it was the 'Moderator' who was in the wrong.

As for the 'Spirit Of Boards.ie' you have no idea how much of it comes down to the Moderators. Would you like these constant whinge threads appearing in your favourite forums and not being dealt with by the moderating team? I doubt it.

So why don't you take whatever miniscule punishment you got on the chin, and make this a better place for people who actually want to post on-topic material in the right forum (ie those who DONT post this boring, common, **** dribble that doesn't even belong in this forum.)

ambro25 wrote:
    DublinWriter - take a hint: you'll never get a Mod to admit they were wrong (that's the beauty and appeal of autocracy ;) ), never mind a flock as in this here-thread, so just leave it be... :)

absolutely not true.

in fact if you want to go through the PI forum, i banned someone when i shouldnt have.
    i apologised, i reinstated them.

this happend inthe last 3 days.

i guess thats your argument gone then....
    Totally off the beam. I don't want to personalise this argument, but I've obviously hit a raw nerve with some.

As this threat has gone wildly off-topic, I'll restate what I originally said by saying that while the quality of moderateship on boards.ie is generally high, there is an increasingly alarming pattern of certain mods banning people on a totally arbitrary and capricious way contrary to the 'now you're takin' spirit of boards.ie.:)

no nerve hit at all.

although, when you feel like
    a) backing up any of your illogical points
    b) naming some of these mods
    c) pointing out these increasing alarming incidents
    d) offering some solutions
    e) stop whinging
    f) answering any of the qeustions asked at you instead of just ignoring them and then just complaining anyway

then someone might listen to you.

right now youre like a noisey child in a supermarket. embarassing to your mother, and ignored by everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

One would think that the best approach is to name the moderators in question. That way when they ban you, you can slam it as being personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

certain mods banning people on a totally arbitrary and capricious way contrary to the 'now you're takin' spirit of boards.ie.
    Funny, to my mind the spirit of boards.ie is changing in the opposite direction. The spirit of boards.ie was always a bit more "**** off, you don't like my decision, there's plenty more Internet out there for you to go and whine in" and got gentler as time went on.

• Advertisement

right now youre like a noisey child in a supermarket. embarassing to your mother, and ignored by everyone else.
    I won't even grace that with a response.

Damn, I just did!

Seriously though, when posting on boards.ie I go by the general rule that I don't say anything that I wouldn't be happy with saying in a face-to-face situation with someone.

I can make my argument based on its merits without having to resort to personal abuse and/or petty name calling.

Advertisement