Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DHCP on BT

• 31-08-2005 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭

LOL

Just when I was about to regain the smile on my face. BT is DHCP for home use, this I new. What I didn't know is that under no circumstance will they tell you the IP ranges they are using. I need to know all of their ranges and add them to the vpn concentrator in work so I can tunnel in from time to time, check stats troubleshoot issues on the network and firewalls.

Monkey on the end of the line had to go away and ask three times for what I wanted because he had no idea what a subnet was. Let alone DHCP ranges. He came back stating they couldn't do it, and that I'd have to talk to their business sales about their products. I'm no business, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who’s on call or telecommutes via the net.

I also ftp a lot of stuff onto sites with IP checks so this is 80% of my usage total we're talking about here. Surely they can tell their customers what the first two octets will be within range

For example today im on 212.2.x.x. Yesterday it was 213.13.x.x. All I need is to know the first and second octets in their ranges, and the list of all of these I might get assigned. Which will be hard since they seem to run off two different class A's.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Can your VPN use hostnames? If so, get dynamic DNS service from no-ip/dyndns/etc and set it to run once a minute. This is what I do to access my home machine, albeit via a CNAME in my own zone.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Nah. It's IP specific because less spoofing. Plus the ftp's i upload to I don't have admin on so couldn't use a hostname for those... :(

Fair enough. Ask on IIU, someone there will know. (BT customer support are the last people you should ask about serious technical stuff.) If you don't get an answer on IIU, PM me and I'll find out for you.

adam

Would if I could find a forum or somewhere to post to. Thats some bad wiki.

My go live date for bt was tomorrow, think I may cancel and try another provider. Unless they can compare with netsource's prices. Not much to ask, a dedicated IP or list of their dhcp ranges. C’est La Vie, least the speeds are good.

Shame Eircom only bundle certain lines for business dsl. Reckon I might get something sorted though...

It's a mailing list. See under resources, right there in front of your face. :)

• Advertisement

Didn't spot that sorry. Long day...

Posted on it. Just waiting for some replys. Maybe someone in BT subscribes or something who knows...

Advertisement