Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a polish import

Options
  • 31-08-2005 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭

Car is a 1985 Audi 80 1.8 Petrol with LHD, 300,000km on the clock. I have no idea of the general condition

A Polish girl* I know has the car, but the papers are in her mothers name. Girl has lived here for more than a year, mother is in Poland.

A guy **wants** the car. Buy and Sell has these newer models. Contemporary car are in the €300-900 bracket.

Advice?
    Audi 80 2.8L petrol 1992, Leinster Co. Dublin €4500.00
    , saloon, manual, ABS, alarm, alloys, CD, c/l, e/a, e/m, e/w, f/s, p/s, s/r, immac condition 087-2770201 [clip]
    Audi 80 1.9L 1994, Leinster Co. Dublin €1300.00
    , 4 dr, saloon, manual, NCT No/, dark, black, c/l, p/s, s/r, 1.9 TDi, new tyres, new timing & fan belts, 087-2445336 [clip]

https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showCarCalculator
    STATISTICAL CODE: 41485030
    MAKE: AUDI
    MODEL: 80 1.8 (1972 - 1991)
    VERSION: LHD 04DR / SALOON / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    MILEAGE: 300000 KILOMETERS

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): JANUARY 1985
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €865
    RATE OF TAX: 25.0%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €315

* Yes, she's hot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Just one word of warning - not from personal experience and the situation might have changed since but....

If you go to insure a LHD car over here with an irish insurer, my understanding is that theres only one insurer that will take it on (at least that was the situation a few years ago).
    Now, if theres only one irish insurance co. prepared to give you cover, you know your going to get a great deal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I do not believe that is true about LHD - any of them will insure a LHD car. There might be a small premium, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

Not only will you be loaded about an extra €150 for insurance for it being a LHD, but they are far more dangerous to drive and overtake with on Ireland's glorious single-lane 'National' roads.

Secondly, 300K on the clock? Most of the Apollo missions didn't clock up that kind of milage. Most of the fancy Audi electrics on the car would be well due to fail around about now.

Thirdly, as we move into an age of increasing oil costs, you're seriously thinking of buying a 1.8L bus? The yearly road tax on that puppy alone would be kicking the arse off €700.

Run away. RUN AWAY!

Get yourself something sensible and simple for that kind of money - those old Micras/Almeras/Primeras/Corollas run forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Thirdly, as we move into an age of increasing oil costs, you're seriously thinking of buying a 1.8L bus? The yearly road tax on that puppy alone would be kicking the arse off €700.

I jus bought a 2L, tax is €539. If you want to pay €700 for a 1.8 go ahead, but can I have the €216 change? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

Not only will you be loaded about an extra €150 for insurance for it being a LHD, but they are far more dangerous to drive and overtake with on Ireland's glorious single-lane 'National' roads.

Secondly, 300K on the clock? Most of the Apollo missions didn't clock up that kind of milage. Most of the fancy Audi electrics on the car would be well due to fail around about now.

Run away. RUN AWAY!

Get yourself something sensible and simple for that kind of money - those old Micras/Almeras/Primeras/Corollas run forever.

Why do people call cars "buses"????? ....so not cool

• Advertisement

PlayaFlow wrote:
    Why do people call cars "buses"????? ....so not cool
    Sorry, 'pimp ride' it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

300.000 km ...that's close to 200.000 good old miles ...on a 1.8 petrol engine

Why pay money for that?

an 85 A80 isn't exactly a design icon either, is it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Boards.ie Supersenses™ picking up some nefarious waves of unsatisfied covetness :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

...and bore yourself to death.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Um, read the post again

1) A Polish girl* I know has the car
    2) A guy **wants** the car.
    3) I am not that guy
    4) I just want the hot Polish girl happy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Victor wrote:
    4) I just want the hot Polish girl happy. :D

Jesus people, how did you all miss that this is the main point of the excercise.

And victor, who doesnt like making hot girls happy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

Sorry, 'pimp ride' it is then.

how about just 'car'......only 3 letters , same as b-u-s .
    ....except less reterded sounding.
    pimp ride would also be better, i suppose. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

would the new owner not have to pay VRT....?which I would Imagen should be more than the value of the car

ambro25 wrote:
    Boards.ie Supersenses™ picking up some nefarious waves of unsatisfied covetness :D
    You wouldn't like to know what I drive, I covet very few!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dub13 wrote:
    would the new owner not have to pay VRT....?which I would Imagen should be more than the value of the car

How'd you figure that? the OMSP of the car woulld probably be around €200. VRT @ 30% of €200 = €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Victor wrote:
    but the papers are in her mothers name

Bummer. If she owned the car herself, she could get it registered for free (well a nominal wee fee)

Now it will be up to your man to pay the VRT of a very small amount on top of what he is paying her
    Victor wrote:
    Car is a 1985 Audi 80 1.8 Petrol

At first I thought 1985 was a typo and you meant 1995, but I guess not. The 1.8 petrol was only available in the pre-1991 makeover model

I guess its value minus the VRT charge is not really a material positive amount, probably no more than €100-€200. Unless your man plans to drive it illegally that is and that way can avoid penalty points, tax, insurance, current bans from driving etc. as the guards don't seem to be bothered about foreign reg cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

...and bore yourself to death.. :rolleyes:

And a midieval LHD Audi 80 won't. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

bazz26 wrote:
    And a midieval LHD Audi 80 won't. :confused:

LHD would mean pretty exciting overtaking on the Ashbourne Road... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

i wonder are there any staff in the revenue looking to buy some cars cos at that kind of valuation i could find them a few nice ones. ! :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Victor wrote:
    * Yes, she's hot.
    I feel that in order to answer this query, I would need more info on the above. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

The minimum VRT payable on any car is €315.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

IrishRover wrote:

Being 20 years old, this yoke probably nearly qualifies as a classic car!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Saw this and thought of you. Sorry just couldn't resist it. ;)

I think I might have seen that before Hagar ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

prospect wrote:
    Being 20 years old, this yoke probably nearly qualifies as a classic car!!
    AFAIK a calssic from a taxation perspective is at least 30 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,402 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

IrishRover wrote:

Didn't know that, thanks for sharing. That makes above car worthless really...

Yeah, unless she can import it VRT free by having owned it outside the state for a year etc...
    It doesn't sound like it's her car to import/sell anyway. The mother could transfer it to her in her home country then post the ownership documents out to her but it does sound like a lot of hassle.
    Maybe it's worth it if he's trying to get into her knickers alright but it might be simpler to just pay her directly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that's nuts - where the hell do they get those prices from
    that car is worth nothing, nada, zilcho.
    if yer man (is he crazy?) didn't want to buy it she'd have to pay someone to take it away.

Yeah true.
    Just thinking about it again there though and they don't ask for proof of identity when you're importing a car and paying VRT but I guess if you were to want to import it VRT exempt then proving you owned it outside the state for a year would mean proof of ID obviously. So if her mother did transfer it to her she wouldn't have owned it at all outside of the state. So I guess it seems like the only way to import it VRT free is to have her mother fly over here and call in to the extremely courteous and polite people at her local money collection depot. Even then, I suppose there's a waiting period before she can sell it on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

A 1985 LHD, non-VRT'd, 300k km Audi petrol is worth?

Nothing. Absolutley nothing. It would cost you €150 to scrap it.

I'd charge her about €400 to take it off her hands. ;)

Advertisement