Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet access on campus

Options
  • 31-08-2005 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Is internet access in library free to students?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Internet access all across the campus is free but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if they start charging students for it in the near future.......... the money grabbin' baxtards!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

They used to charge for it... back in the day, before I was there...
    I can't see them charging for it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

they never charged for internet access.... i think ur thinking of netsoc...

ahh... the good ol days of netscape 3 and queuing for an netsoc account at 5am.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

They didn't charge for it, they just didn't let students on before 6 or something, so lots of people joined netsoc.

All the internet access in all the labs is free for students. And anyone can walk into UCD with a laptop and connect to the wireless network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Can any students use it? It's not confined to students doing certain courses is it? And what connection is it, do you know? (just wanna know if it's fast or slow really)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Anyone can use it.

It's temperamental, speed-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Every student gets a username and password when you register for your student card. The speed is pretty freaking fast, depending on the time of day. At lunch it's slow, you'd be better off using netsoc then. When it's not used a lot (ie at evenings) it can be leathly fast. I've been working in the college over the summer, and since there is no-one around, I regularly get about 9 MB/sec.

Blush_01 wrote:
    Anyone can use it.

It's temperamental, speed-wise.

Daedulus building is prob the slowest place. Other buildings are faster.

But even the worst speed is a lot faster than home broadband I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's good :) One more question: is there not usually people using them for computer science courses? Like is there a computer room that's designated for people to just use at their disrection or is it the same room courses use, so I'll have to move to another one or something? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

First come, first served, most of the time. So when essays and projects are due in, it can get a bit manic. That's when Ag becomes a great resource. There are computers in each of the buildings and then there's Daedalus, which is purpose built for classes and computer access.

• Advertisement

computer science have their own computer labs that are solely for the use of computer science students. Daedulus labs are for use by anyone.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

eng 321 can get quite full but there's about 50 computers there. can be quite noisy tho' so watch out.

*smiles with glee of having own computer in project lab next year*

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

Just to clarify, in general you can use any of the computers in any of the computer rooms that you come across around campus, including the library. For example, an arts student may use the computers in the chemistry building and an architechture student may use the computers in the Agriculture building..and so on! Some computer rooms are less busy than others so I'd recommend you scout around, unless you want to be queuing for half an hour to get on a computer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If you have the cash around I'd nearly recommend anyone to get a laptop. Used ones can be had for very little and have more than enough power to surf the net - could be useful if you're in a fix. :)

Advertisement