Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do you think will catch on first?

Options
  • 31-08-2005 8:51pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A lot of people say the PS2 did a lot of DVD sales, in that it offered a games console that also played DVD's, so people paid the same (maybe less) for something that was better than the then expensive DVD range. In many cases the only DVD player in the house was the PS2.
    It now looks as though PS are hoping to do something similar with blu-ray (while also taking advantage of storage). On the other hand MS are pushing HDTV as their big extra. So what do you think will do better? I'm not saying either machine will make or break each piece of hardware, but if either sells well it may encourage people to buy into it, for example I'm interested in getting a HDTV while at the moment the only thing I'll have that will truely benefit would be a 360.
    IMO HDTV will do better than blu-ray, but that's mainly because the mainstream aren't ready to switch to another format so soon after DVD. I think HDDVD and Bluray will last but mainly for PC users as storage media etc. Also the PS3 will support HDTV too, so even non-360 owners will be looking to invest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ps3 wont support THE HD disc format though. both SONY and toshiba were in talks to make a joint format so the players would play both. the talks failed though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I know, but I was just making a general comment on high-capacity disc formats that are coming out. the PS3 will support HDTV, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

HDtv will be the one, Blu ray isnt anything special only more expensive discs that contain more what?

A hard drive and HDtv will be the one people pay most attention to.

kdjac

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Cynical mode: Not really up on it, I know some of the HD ready TVs are falling in price, but I’m still unsure that any huge explosion in sales is coming. Should get around to reading up on take up etc soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Well, don't you have to have a HD-TV to use Blu-Ray anyway? DVDs are already high enough resolution for normal tvs so Blu Ray can only take off when everybody already has Hi Def and need a disc format to keep up with it. Sky are going Hi-def next year. That's what will push it, not consoles. I think uptake will increase vastly when most TV channels are outputting in high definition, and they start marketing it.

On PCs I can see Blu Ray starting to pick up after the release of PS3. Games are going to be mass produced on Blu ray soon enough so I think PC is likely to follow suit considering most big games companies will be working with both systems. HD-DVD, I just can't see being a success. Not when the PS3 is guaranteed to be in so many living rooms, it's just too big a head start for Blu ray. If the X-Box 360 was HD-DVD instead of just DVD it'd be more interesting, but as it is there will soon be millions of consumers with Blu ray players under their TV by default and thats too much of a mountain to climb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Xbox 360 will be the most media friendly, if the interface is half as good as XBMC it'll come out on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't XBMC nothing to do with Microsoft? I've never tried it so can't comment much anyway.

Both consoles are gonna be heavy on the whole 'media centre' thing but it's impossible to judge till we know more really. Microsoft should have more expertise in this area but if the PS3 runs a Sony flavour of Linux as has been rumoured I think that could please a lot of people. Off topic anyway.

HD-tv is a big aspect of both consoles, Microsoft seem to be advertising it more but I think whatever happens, with two major consoles coming out and the main TV network showing support in the next year, HD-tv is only going to become more common.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Lord Oz wrote:
    Xbox 360 will be the most media friendly, if the interface is half as good as XBMC it'll come out on top.

I wasn't asking which machine would run or sell better, just what big feature would do well.

Stevice, I don't see PC games moving to blu ray for some time. Look how long it has taken DVD-roms to become even close to normal, we're at the end of the console generation that was mainly based on DVD-roms. Games developers for PC need to be sure they can attract enough gamers, and it will be some time before most gamers upgrade to higher end formats, until then they'll be happy to package 2, 3 or 4 dvds in each game.

momument, I haven't really followed prices myself, but my general rule of thumb with new technology is to wait a year after it makes its big debut. DVD players were selling for under €100 the christmas after their first big (mainstream) debut, and LCD and plasma tv's are going the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There's no real chance of blu-ray or hd-dvds taking off until HDTVs are common-place, as the only real drawback with dvds is that they don't support HDTVs.

It's also interesting that while Microsoft are pushing the 360's HDTV capabilities as a USP, the PS3 can at least match it in that department. So it's not really a case of PS3 + Blu Ray vs. XB360 and HDTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I dont think HDTV will "take-off" I just think it will become a standard to look out for when your buying your next TV. It would be a stupid move to buy a large TV these days without it supporting HDTV. Sky will have the HDTV boxes out for next years World Cup, That will be a huge marketing ploy for the sales of HDTV.

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

RTE probably won't be broadcasting anything in HDTV for years, and Sky's HDTV stuff will have to be really heavily compressed. You can clearly see compression artefacts on some of their existing non-HD sky digital channels already. If they don't have the bandwidth to deliver that without visible effects of compression, how are they going to deliver crystal-clear, hi-res HDTV?
    HDTV is the next big thing in home entertainment but I'd say it will be a good while before it becomes anyway mainstream. The nerd in me wants a HDTV badly. The rest of me cannot justify the cost of a HDTV when there's bugger all to use it for besides the next gen consoles.

Advertisement