Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine Broadband

Options
  • 31-08-2005 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have Imagine broadband + telephone service in the Cork area?
    How is it performing?
    The deals they are offering seem to be almost too good to be true.
    Anyone with any experience of it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Jay Dee wrote:
    Does anyone have Imagine broadband + telephone service in the Cork area?
    How is it performing?
    The deals they are offering seem to be almost too good to be true.
    Anyone with any experience of it??

The Imagine deals do sound great!!!

But they are deceptive as 1Mbit BT Broadband with their LineRental Package for €40 is actually about the same price as the €9.99 Timed product after the hidden charges(BB connection + Router Rental + Line Rental) are added!!!!

Stay away from Imagine and get what I have described above as it is true Broadband where your allowed as many hours a month as you want!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

I was looking at the allways on package for 20euro, Download 12GB.
    Seems very good value.
    Any users comments?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Use the search engine, that's what it's there for.

Jay Dee wrote:
    I was looking at the allways on package for 20euro, Download 12GB.
    Seems very good value.
    Any users comments?

Again...add line Rental and Router Renatl...boosts that to €50 a month.

Which is the same price as 2Mbit BT with 24GB CAP and Line Rental.

Listen...the head of Imagine is a bit of a chancer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

But you'd be paying line rental to Eircom anyway? I was interested in the 20 hour package, for a tenner, but nine quid a month to rent a wireless router was too much. Would prefer to go always-on for twenty and choose / use my own wireless router. Apart from that, it (to me) looks like the same service as, say, UTV for a tenner less per month. What am I missing?

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote:
    But you'd be paying line rental to Eircom anyway? I was interested in the 20 hour package, for a tenner, but nine quid a month to rent a wireless router was too much. Would prefer to go always-on for twenty and choose / use my own wireless router. Apart from that, it (to me) looks like the same service as, say, UTV for a tenner less per month. What am I missing?

Line Rental is only €10 when got through BT along with their Broadband.....
    So:
    1Mb=€30
    but with their line Rental Package
    1Mb+LineRental = €40

Line Rental with Imagine is certainly going to be €24 a month
    Add router rental and monthly BB subscriptions and you get around the same price of 1MB BT BB+Line Rental+Real untimed Broadband!

Can you understand now why Imagines €9.99 TIMED broadband is actually VERY BAD value???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

ITs mad how some compnies think the irish public are fools !!

Drapper wrote:
    ITs mad how some compnies think the irish public are fools !!

€9.99 is a great way to brand your Broadband package and I have no doubt in my mind that Imagine will make a killing on this product especially since almost everyone who will use it is likely to break the 20hour limit and rack up over connection charges!!!

You must remember that most people are just, putting it harshly, ignorant fools when it comes to technical things like the internet!
    Its just viewed as Nerdy or too difficult to understand by most.

Visitors to Boards.ie Broadband forum are far more clued in as can be sen with the ISP poll....BT on top!!!
    In the real world BT have still a very small footprint in the Irish Broadband sector as most people, naturally enough turned to eircom, as they more than likely already have them for the voice call.

zuma wrote:
    Line Rental is only €10 when got through BT along with their Broadband.....
    So:
    1Mb=€30
    but with their line Rental Package
    1Mb+LineRental = €40

Line Rental with Imagine is certainly going to be €24 a month
    Add router rental and monthly BB subscriptions and you get around the same price of 1MB BT BB+Line Rental+Real untimed Broadband!

Can you understand now why Imagines €9.99 TIMED broadband is actually VERY BAD value???

I actually only discovered this feature of BT's offerings since my post - so how is BT's quality of service? I understand they only do a wired modem, what are the options for wireless (to compliment my new Centrino lappie!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dilbert75 wrote:
    how is BT's quality of service?
    Good technical service, average customer service, shameful billing service.
    I understand they only do a wired modem, what are the options for wireless
    Buy a wireless modem?

adam

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote:
    I actually only discovered this feature of BT's offerings since my post - so how is BT's quality of service? I understand they only do a wired modem, what are the options for wireless (to compliment my new Centrino lappie!)

I've saved another from being screwed over by TIMED Broadband Internet!!!!
    Wahooooo!!!

Their billing department are a bunch of twits...but everything else about BT is fine.

dahamsta wrote:
    Good technical service, average customer service, shameful billing service.

Buy a wireless modem?

adam

Clever man - its easy be smart when you're used to this stuff. For newbies, a slightly less sarcastic reply would be more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Dilbert75 wrote:
    Clever man - its easy be smart when you're used to this stuff. For newbies, a slightly less sarcastic reply would be more helpful.

tut tut .............. but come on Imagine, even the TV add are devious !

answer the simple question why have always on braodband when its restrictive............ and when the 20hrs are up they "ride you".

also, they hire you the equipement !! thats a piss take of the highest order

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dilbert75 wrote:

I'll agree he was sarcastic with his reply but he is correct,
    ......BT's billing dept is crazily bad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Dilbert75 wrote:
    Why? You'll never learn anything if you don't try figure it out yourself. Adam's answer didn't seem sarcastic to me at all. It was short and to the point. He hit the nail on the head with the BT description, and your options for wireless with BT are quite simply to buy a wireless router. BT don't supply or support any wireless kit so you're on your own.

It's actually quite simple to set up a wireless router too. Just plug it into the modem that BT supply and you're good to go. Of course you should enable encryption for safety but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I got imagine installed in my gaff just this week. BT screwed me around for five weeks(and countless hours on the phone to them) before eventually telling me they couldnt do it becuase we didnt meet their credit criteria!!! They pi** me off royally(just needed to get that chest, sorry :) ) Went with Imagine in the end, €40 per month between line rental and always on broadband. Its only 1MB download, but we actually get that, butthats in Dublin, not sure what the service is like in Cork. Purchased my own router/modem/switch to set it up, so not paying that stupid rental fee for their one.
    Cons would be 256KB upload(Could be 128KB, cant remember this morning!) isnt much of an issue for me, but it could be for some. Their customer service seems to be a two man operation, receptionist and tech guy, but i got through to them in less than 30 seconds. When I rang them to complain my BB wasnt working, I found out the username/password they sent me in the post was wrong, but we eventually got around that.
    Hope this was of some help to you!!

I got imagine installed in my gaff just this week. BT screwed me around for five weeks(and countless hours on the phone to them) before eventually telling me they couldnt do it becuase we didnt meet their credit criteria!!! They pi** me off royally(just needed to get that chest, sorry :) ) Went with Imagine in the end, €40 per month between line rental and always on broadband. Its only 1MB download, but we actually get that, butthats in Dublin, not sure what the service is like in Cork. Purchased my own router/modem/switch to set it up, so not paying that stupid rental fee for their one.
    Cons would be 256KB upload(Could be 128KB, cant remember this morning!) isnt much of an issue for me, but it could be for some. Their customer service seems to be a two man operation, receptionist and tech guy, but i got through to them in less than 30 seconds. When I rang them to complain my BB wasnt working, I found out the username/password they sent me in the post was wrong, but we eventually got around that.
    Hope this was of some help to you!!

OMG what have you done???

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

€45 per month for 1/128 and 12GB cap is not that great ( better than eircom, but not hard to be ).

€40 per month for 2/256 with Smart and no cap, doesnt that sound better ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I got imagine installed in my gaff just this week. BT screwed me around for five weeks(and countless hours on the phone to them) before .......
    I ordered Imagine a couple of weeks ago because BT screwed me around for way more than five weeks:

1/ First the internet order I placed came though to them blank (whoever designed that site is a waste of space). Only when I called to see what was going on did they realise this was the case.
    2/ The following phone order I placed put was on hold (something to do with Anytime I had months before). Again nothing was done until I called to see what was going on.
    3/ Weeks later again I called again to see what was happening - turns out after the order from #2 was unheld some Muppet forgot to send it to Eircom. The rep described it as a 'schoolboy error'. Professionalism?

I had other issues with my previous Anytime dial up account with BT (Billing as opposed to ordering related)

In my opinion if you value your sanity stay away from BT and go with someone like Imagine.

In my opinion if you value your sanity stay away from BT and go with someone like Imagine. Granted it may not be technically as good but life is too short to spend it dealing with BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭st3vo

I ordered Imagine also. I got my own wireless router though... ofcourse!
    I went for the always on package for €20, and the phone line which is €20.
    All in all i get unlimited broadband access with 20gb download cap (Thats about 19 films!!!!!For thoughs pirates out there). We hardly ever even use our phone anyway so its a great deal!

Your always gonna get difference of opinions.... as this is a debate.
    Everybody gets bad experiances with some crowds and some people can have great experiances with the same company. Thats life......now just have to sit back and watch that dsl sync light flickering until it stays on perminantly then WOOOO HOOOO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ProjectC

yes i a fully aware this topic is nearly 3 YEARS old but thoguht id add in some info since i am the only person to this day that i know has imagine.

line rental 22euro a month (across ALL including UTV EXcluding the likes
    upc ext on there own network)
    unlimited local calls 9.99

2b connection 256upload 19.99 20gb cap

add on 60BG cap 1euro

total 53.00euro a month.

been with them for 3 years and NEVER...and i mean NEVER had a problem!!EVER!!!

my average speeds are in the 1700kbps and 210 uplaod. VERY RESNABLE compared to other operators.

P>s as loyalty our pakage came down from 53.00 to 41euro a month...how nice!!!

Advertisement