Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dolby Digital5.1 without Sub?

Options
  • 31-08-2005 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

Have done a search for this but found nothing, so here goes.

I have a full 5.1 system at the moment but really don't like the subwoofer (or subwoofers, for that matter). I appreciate the extra bass, but for the amount of movies I watch I don't think it's worth it, so this system will be sold.

I plan to use my Royd Minstrel speakers as L R fronts and a pair of Mission 77DS speakers as the rears with an in-wall centre speaker, but don't want a sub. I need to buy an amp (as small and 'musical' as possible), but my question is whether I will get a good 'true' 5.1 experience from this set-up. I know the .1 is the sub, but any direction would be useful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I assume the 5 speakers are satellites? If you take away the sub you'll have NO bass. The reason the speakers are small because they don't have bass drivers which is why you need the sub, to put the bass back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

ive a set of floor standers for my front L and R and small book shelf for my rears and center and i feel the two front L and R channel handles the bass ok, after all there is a good amp behind them.

afaik the .1 is a channel within its self so i suppose you would need a sub, but you can place a sub anywhere because its sound goes everywhere.

Sparky_S wrote:
    ive a set of floor standers for my front L and R and small book shelf for my rears and center and i feel the two front L and R channel handles the bass ok, after all there is a good amp behind them.

They would do, Floorstanders and bookshelf speakers are not designed with the use of a sub in mind. They are big and have bass drivers in them. Satellites like these http://www.sony.ie/view/ShowProduct.action?product=SA-VE835ED&site=odw_en_IE&category=HCS+Home+Cinema+Speaker are small and need a separate sub for the reasons I outlined above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

The Royds are floorstanders the missions are full-range surrounds. On my last dolby digital surround amp you had the option of not using a sub even with a digital input, but I'm unsure how common this is.

I'll be selling everything that's currently in my front room and installing the Royds, Missions, centre along with a new (discrete if possible) amp. The amp needs to have the option to deactivate the sub channel and redirect bass to the fronts, like my pro-logic system from years back.

Off to the Sony shop or Harvey Norman tomorrow to randomly press buttons until I get ejected.

Ok my bad, would you believe I didnt even realise there was a 2nd paragraph in you original post. I think i'm going mad, I skim read without even realising and jump straight in to a reply. Anyway, carry on , you'll be fine without a sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

People seem to neglect the fact that a "sub" suplements not replaces the front speakers. You mentions sending the bass frequencies to the fronts and away from the sub. In fact the full range of frequencies are sent to the front L and R speakers. The sub is to make up for any deficiencies present in the L and R pair.

In most cases "musical" speakers deal with the range from about 40Hz to 14 or 15 KHz as flat and even as possible while subs deal primarily with sub-100Hz for that kick in the back effect that movies use.

The sub effect depends totally on the lower response of the front speakers of your system. You may not get the full effects that the movie contains though.

ZEN

Advertisement