Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggis?

• 31-08-2005 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine recently returned from Scotland, and brought back some yummy Haggis. I had never tasted it before but damn it was good :)
    I know it's a traditional dish in Scotland, but is it easily available over here? I've never seen it around.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I've never seen it here at all. Although I'm quite interested in tasting it at some stage. What's it like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It's probably a bad time to ask if you knew what haggis was composed of when you tried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

grimloch wrote:
    I've never seen it here at all. Although I'm quite interested in tasting it at some stage. What's it like?
    It's great! Imagine a mix of black and white pudding, but a bit spicier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Its generally a mix of sheeps lungs, heart, liver, some onion and other bits n bobs. Tasty :)
    My Dad is from Scotland, so we're always bound have at a least once when we're over visiting family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

It's great! Imagine a mix of black and white pudding, but a bit spicier.

and with potatoes and neeps on the side :)

• Advertisement

and with potatoes and neeps on the side :)
    Ah you're just making me hungry now :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

SofaKing wrote:
    Its generally a mix of sheeps lungs, heart, liver, some onion and other bits n bobs. Tasty :)
    My Dad is from Scotland, so we're always bound have at a least once when we're over visiting family.
    ...and eyebals (minced of course!), brain and possibly spinal-cord matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yep all good stuff. I remember nearly getting sick seeing it being made, they were eating it simply boiled too. Then I was in a hotel in england with a buffet breakfast. I thought it was giant white pudding, it was sliced and fried golden brown, lovely stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Tasted it once and surprisingly liked it a lot, took me a while to pluck up the courage to try it though. You could ask in your local butcher, they may have a clue about where you can get your mitts on some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You can get it in Marks & Spencer

• Advertisement

Sleipnir wrote:
    You can get it in Marks & Spencer
    M&S here I come, thanks for the tip :)
    ...and eyebals (minced of course!), brain and possibly spinal-cord matter.
    Alright I didn't know that part, I'm glad I tried it before I knew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I had some when I was in Scotland, before I knew what it was. It's really salty. That's All I remember.
    I'd probebly get sick if I ate it now.

Advertisement