Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account HiJacking??

Options
  • 31-08-2005 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭

Hi doing this on behalf of my girlfriend Azureus that last post that she got banned for wasnt by her and wasnt by anyone we know. We were both out of the house at that time. Could admins check what IP address that last post was from or try find out how someone got into her account?? Cheers(Will get her to post here soon just shes on dialup at her house)

Cheers
    MOTR
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

After some extensive research (she's only had 14 posts so I went through them all which makes me feel like a stalker), it would appear to be the same location she was posting from in the early evening of August 11 and the afternoon of August 13. Different from the location(s) she has posted from later at night at any other time.

I trust this'll answer the query. Assuming what you've said is correct (I've no reason to doubt you) she forgot to log out from the location referenced above. I would suggest that she somehow arranges that for her own good or who knows what your mystery assailant will be posting next.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Make sure, if you have accessed your account from NetCafe's, or have other people at home that use Boards, that you log out of your account afterwards.

Forgot to log out at a LAN that had Net Access before - One of the lads posted up a few things here when I had left, but thankfully, logged out afterwards (He posted up how he was more than capable of changing my password or getting me banned from Boards etc etc)

So be careful.

Then again, it's easy to post up stuff like this as a means of becoming unbanned, but thankfully the admins have Night/Infrared/Post vision and can detect most of these things, so you best watch yourself ;)

I really love it when Ropey hits a serious informative phase - all the answering could be left to him alone. Seriously.
    RopeDrink wrote:
    Make sure, if you have accessed your account from NetCafe's, or have other people at home that use Boards, that you log out of your account afterwards.
    Absolutely. When it comes down to it, you're pretty much responsible for your own account and any actions taken by that account. That's the way most mods and the admins will probably look at it in almost every given situation and in my personal view that's pretty much fair. Now, how many loopholes and mini-disclaimers did I put in there, eh?

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I really love it when Ropey hits a serious informative phase - all the answering could be left to him alone. Seriously.

Haven't you noticed?
    I'm going for the job of first ever Boards.ie ' Mega Moderator ' :D

Out of boredom, and and a sheer fascination with creativity, I made a temporary card to commemorate this loveable moment.

RopeDrinks%20Amazing%20Bluntness.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

RopeDrink wrote:

TBH based on the people I have bumped into in netcafes I wouldn't even use my own login in the cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

RopeDrink wrote:
    Out of boredom, and and a sheer fascination with creativity, I made a temporary card to commemorate this loveable moment.

RopeDrinks%20Amazing%20Bluntness.gif
    Very cool. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Hi doing this on behalf of my girlfriend Azureus that last post that she got banned for wasnt by her and wasnt by anyone we know. We were both out of the house at that time. Could admins check what IP address that last post was from or try find out how someone got into her account?? Cheers(Will get her to post here soon just shes on dialup at her house)

Cheers
    MOTR
    I banned the username from Poker because it was just plain abuse for no reason. In a pm or two back or forth I suggested that maybe the account had been used by someone else. Seems likely now especially since the users previous posts weren't in Poker, Fash/App mostly i think.
    Ban stands though, you gots ta be careful with your password etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

RopeDrink wrote:
    Forgot to log out at a LAN that had Net Access before
    Just think of the fun if an SMod did that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Talliesin wrote:
    Just think of the fun if an SMod did that!
    :D
    Girlfriend posted on my account once because i just forgot to logout and she though it was her account.Nothing major she realised it about 2secs later and logged out.

Maybe it could be possible to build in a timer in your account for internet cafes.You buy 1hr in the =cafe so you set the timer for 1hr on boards too for auto logoff?

Nukem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yeah, my partner uses my pc all the time and posts the most god awful pap sometimes under my user name sometimes...

/whistles tunelessly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Yeah the other two places were in an internet cafe. Obsiously it was rigged with a keylogger. Shes changed her password now. Wasnt just something random though cause whoever it was knew who DeVore was!

lafortezza wrote:
    I banned the username from Poker because it was just plain abuse for no reason. In a pm or two back or forth I suggested that maybe the account had been used by someone else. Seems likely now especially since the users previous posts weren't in Poker, Fash/App mostly i think.
    Ban stands though, you gots ta be careful with your password etc.

Of course but to be honest I doubt it was a major loss for her.... Not a poker player!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

ot a poker player!

Not until you find yourself carless, homeless, and pantsless!

Teehe well she will then benefit from this ban and not become that!! WuHu i get to keep her as she is!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Is she still site banned?

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Don't think she was ever site banned, just banned from the poker forum.

^what ecksor said, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yeah the other two places were in an internet cafe. Obsiously it was rigged with a keylogger.
    I "doubt" the keylogger bit, people are just bone lazy.

I've actually found quite a few boards accounts left logged-in in internet café. Usually I just log out, one I sent them a PM from there own account saying "I'm watching you". :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Victor wrote:
    Usually I just log out, one I sent them a PM from there own account saying "I'm watching you". :eek:

You're a strang fish Victor - a very strange fish

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:
    I "doubt" the keylogger bit, people are just bone lazy.

I've actually found quite a few boards accounts left logged-in in internet café. Usually I just log out, one I sent them a PM from there own account saying "I'm watching you". :eek:

Hmm no cause how would they have got her password then?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

She probably didn't log out properly or there was a problem logging her out, as mentioned previously.

I'd imagine using a keylogger in a public netcafe would be an arduous thing to sift through every day. Though I've never used one so I could be wrong.

Oh its done trust me. But even if she was logged in it wouldnt give them her password as there was a numbers of days between when she was in the cafe last and the post?

Well if it was a keylogger, which I doubt, then maybe the keylogging folks were off on holiday doing a bit of lumberjacking in Canada. They came back and then had to sift through thousands of keys before finally turning up with her login details. Those pesky little beavers.

She has changed her password I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Hmm no cause how would they have got her password then?
    What makes you think they did? If they just posted they wouldn't need the password, just to be logged in.

Yup she did it last night.
    I just found it weird that whoever it was knew devores real name!

OK here's what happened...

A beaver walks into a bar...

Maybe a boards user went to an internet cafe to use boards. Typed in boards.ie and found he was logged in already as your girlfriend. Then he proceeded to install keylogging software and bought a flight to Canada with all his new found wealth.

Hmmmmm why canadia?

Logging is extensive over there, good money in it. Or maybe somewhere in South America if flights were thin on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

LOL....very good

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement