Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Wish....Lives!

Options
  • 31-08-2005 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭

RL forum....yahooooo!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

congrats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Dub13 wrote:
    congrats

TY P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Dragon as a Mod, may god have mercy on us all!

Best of luck with the new forum Dave!

All good a rugby league forum, lovin it. Time for me to start some threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

BigDragon wrote:
    RL forum....yahooooo!

Well done BigDragon, great to see this forum. I have started a few threads in the Rugby forum trying to convert some "punt and grunt" 15-a-siders to the game (played for the Dublin Blues for a few seasons), so a dedicated forum is all good.

This may be considered heresy, but if this was a sub-forum of the rugby one, maybe there would be some more traffic?

Anyhow, well done again :)

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote:
    This may be considered heresy, but if this was a sub-forum of the rugby one, maybe there would be some more traffic?

Anyhow, well done again :)

eoin

Welcome. The less said about the above the better. :D:p

BigDragon wrote:
    eoin

Welcome. The less said about the above the better. :D:p

Yeah, I was pretty much expecting that kind of response :)

Though on a more serious note, one of things I like about RL in Ireland is that the two codes co-exist quite well - e.g. Union players can play League during the summer etc. I hate the kind of divide that seems to exist in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

a divide created by the union however.

Maccattack wrote:
    a divide created by the union however.

So what? It doesn't exist over here, lets keep it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Titan Boss

Rugby is rugby lads, I know there is this whole league v union 'thing' going on and it does rumble to the surface every now and again. But for Gods sake, can we give it a rest. Right now Ireland is seeing some decent league being played and it must be said that the vast majority of the players are playing union or GAA, so please, please, please - why cant we all just get along? Its sport, people are enjoying playing sport, no divides, its rugby, simple as that!!
    For league to get a foothold, we need union, a lot of the league teams are using union facilities and union players. This debate of union v league is part of a different era, time to let it go, along with all the other divides. Here we are in 2006, looking to get league on the map, we dont need obstacles. ***End of political broadcast****

• Advertisement

History is history! Leave it there.

The RLI have had some small issues in the past with RU clubs but that was with alakadoos on committees with 'over my dead body' attitudes to teams using their fascilities during the summer. The standard arguments still hold:

1. RU players come back fitter, better ball players, better tacklers
    2. They would be playing soccer, hurling etc anyway
    3. The club bar gets off-season revenue
    4. It exposes the club to new players (from GAA, ex-pats, etc)
    5. It keeps the club in the local media all year round (good for sponsors)
    6. Small clubs can see players representing Ireland.

All of the above has been seen at my RU club, and more. We spend more behind the bar at one game than cricket do all season!

They are different sports with similar elements that play in different seasons. There is no conflict of interest there.

Lets move on.

Titan Boss wrote:
    ***End of political broadcast****

Classic. :D

There is no conflict of interest, its just a matter of people bein pric*s about it, getting on high horses etc

About 7 years ago or more robinson connolly and paul and i think 1 or 2 others played union in the off season and came back to wigan for the new season ....no drama only compliments. I remember Wil Carling sayin Gary Connolly was the best centre in the world at the time in either code.
    connolly the ancient alcoholic he is now has been swtiching every year since then for cash reasons i would think.

Its also a shame that the wages in both sports arent equal because i think stealing players from the others code which has been done by both over time creates bad feeling among fans and teams and maybe the reason people get up on those horses

Advertisement