Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modules throughout the degree

Options
  • 01-09-2005 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

ok im heading into first year (science) next week and was thinking about the elective modules. my question is, when it comes to second and third year, how restricted will my choice of free modules be based on my choices in first year. I think the best way i can explain is by example:

i was going to choose my free modules from either the history or psychology modules on offer, so in second year, could i pick a free module from a different subject altogether, or would i be excluded having not done the relevant modules in first year. also, if i was to pick one module from history, and one from psych, is there any chance that there might be more than one prerequisite module needed for second year psych or history modules, again excluding me?

if anyone can help, thanks alot, and sorry if i didnt articulate very well >_<

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Damn first years getting choices.

In my day we had 8 science subjects and it suited us. And we had to walk to college barefoot in the snow, with coal for the furnace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Corporal punishment. That's what's missing. In my day, we got lamped with sticks, and shure, aren't we all the better for it, hah?

I think it's "Ask Jane" time. most of us don't have a clue about modularisation, because it doesn't affect us, or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I'd reckon most of staff as well as students wouldn't have a clue about modurlarisation.

Yeah, my course co-ordinator did have a bit of trouble attempting to explain it to us... alls I know is, it ain't going to affect me unless something appalling happens, in which case, I'll eat my feet first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Someone rang? ;)

All the elective modules you pick in first year will be either Level 0 or Level 1, so you don't need prior knowledge of the subject to do them. However, in second year, some modules will be Level 2, which means you'll have to have Level 1 already to be able to do it. Your best bet is to contact your programme office about this (Arts Programme Office - 716 8642) and they'll be able to put you in touch with people who can advise you on what modules you should choose if you're looking to continue on the same type of thing next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

thanks vainglory, ill give them a call.

maybe its just me, but i cant help get the impression they're making it up as they go along. I wish i could see whcih modules build on which throughout the years. but hey, thats what being the guinea pig year is all about i guess. thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

"Dear Jane"

My girlfriend and I... I mean - oh ya modularization...

What about some of us hangers on, you know the people on the 5yrs+ courses like the vets, well I heard modularization catches up with us in 3rd or 4th year, you can run but you cant hide sort of thing. Is that true is it is it jesus Im going to wet myself at the thought

If so, do we then start at level 0 or are we immediately allowed onto level 3 of everything due to our immense genius and magnificance? Lemmeknowwuduja thanks lots and lots

Freshers are the guinea pigs, as someone said somewhere here. Then the year after, which is next year, it applies to everyone.

I'm a little sorry I missed it... but only a little. Change is bad, grr hiss boom bah etc.

Advertisement