Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does eircom charge for exceeding

Options
  • 01-09-2005 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Ive gone over my limit and i blame it on the horrible checking page which is never updated!

i've gone over by 1792 MB

Assuming im charged 3 cent a meg thats 53 euros plus my monthy fee of 54 is 107.

Ive heard some people dont get charged when they go over, can anyone shed some light on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

If they charge you dont pay up and take it to court. You will win if they cant provide a working way of ensuring you dont go over. It is like having a credit card with a 1000 limit and they not stop you spending when maxedout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

UTV charge and can get away with it legally because you are given the option to cut off the service when you have downloaded over your CAP.

Such a service is not provided by eircom or BT and as such if they charge for overdownloading it is only for very extreme situations!!!

I had eircoms 2 month trial a year ago and broke the CAP for each of the 3 months(1 full and 2 partial months) I was connected by 1-2GBytes a month!!!
    If you get charged by eircom for a measly 2GB overdownloading...most of the members of the broadband forum will go into shock, including myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SqUEE

thanks very much for the info i'll let u know what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

If you're going to loosely throw out legald "advice" like that, can you at least back it up with something?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SqUEE

well it seems i didnt get charged which is good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

They also have a discrepency in their excess charge. In their pricing PDFs they have 1.00c/min (presumably excluding VAT) in the regular BB pricing section, and on their website. However in the special offer pricing PDF, they have 3.00c/min. While there is a mention of the special offer pricing on their webpage, they still show 1.00c/min excess charge. Not that it matters if they don't charge people, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

The less we speak of not getting charged for overdownloading the better as eircom must have a point, that when breached would push them to charge across the board like UTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's just a tool they could use to prevent their networks from being swamped. In eircom and BT's case it's not exactly a problem as they've loads of backhaul capacity (even if their local networks are crap!)

UTV and others may have problems with backhaul as they don't own their own networks so might be concerned about backhaul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Solair wrote:
    It's just a tool they could use to prevent their networks from being swamped. In eircom and BT's case it's not exactly a problem as they've loads of backhaul capacity (even if their local networks are crap!)

UTV and others may have problems with backhaul as they don't own their own networks so might be concerned about backhaul.

Or else, UTV are a bunch of greedy $*((&Y$ who want to suck every cent they can from you once they trap you in one of their everlasting 12month contracts???

I wonder if UTV charge their British customers for downloading over their CAP???

Advertisement