Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subway: healthy? or no?

• 01-09-2005 2:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

the title says it all really. i find myself eating a couple of subway sandwiches as my main meal most days these days due to the nightshifts i work.

theyre cheap , fast , and i would have thought healthy but im not sure.

its them or order in pizza every night(expensive) i dont get time to cook a proper meal when im on a working week and ive never liked homemade sandwiches much.

well, any nutritionally minded people out there want to tell me how bad im poisoning myself?

or conversely any paragons of good health that have lived on nowt but subway for the last 10 years?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭PunyHuman

It depends what you put in the sandwich. It's not too healthy if you're lashing on the mayo and cheese. Even still though, it'd be much better for you than a pizza any day.

Here is the official Subway nutrition guide.

I'm hungry now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ladypawpaw

I'm in two minds about subway.

Good things: lots of lovely salad options, the bread is nice, quick and convenient and unlike most fast food it isn't fried.

Bad things: I'm guessing the bread is pre-prepared and cooked from frozen, (correct me if I am wrong here) which is dodgy. They don't list on their website exactly what ingredients are in the bread, so that is a bad sign.

And the meat and cheese is too processed for my liking.

I've gone there plenty of times but I wouldn't want to live on it every day. Maybe you should learn to cook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

They have the whole "6 with 6 grams" thing which is 6 subs with less than 6 grams of fat each. If you went with those, avoided sauces, had salad and brown bread I'm sure it's not that bad for you. Better than McDonald's anyway.

http://www.subway.com/applications/NutritionInfo/nutritionlist.aspx?id=lowfat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Ever heard of frozen Pizzas? You said you don't have much time. A pizza takes 15-20 mins to cook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

I think subway is by far 1 of the best fast food places you could choose to eat at :). For the most part there ingredients are fresh, and you no the meal has not been sitting there for 2hours.
    It will also depend on what you choose to put on the sandwich, but i your a lot better off going there than Macdonalds or Bugger King :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Roast chicken with vegetables on brown bread seems to be the healthiest option at subway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭scion

emmm double cheese meatball...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

I like to get the most fattening things and then cover them with all the sauces..mmm

occasionally i rub the meatballs all over my naked body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭lau1247

hey I know how you feel..

For the past two month I work for six days a wk..
    After work I'm just too lazy to cook..
    Since subway is on my way home,
    I feel that it's the best solution..
    Well not the best but still better than mcdo' and BK..

I think BMT on intalian herb and cheese..
    With lettuce cucumber and red onion..
    For sauce, try southwest and sweet onion mix together...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭[P]*Deus_Alpha

I Lived in Toronto for the last 3 months and i ate more or less the subway diet... Not strictly, i worked in a italian cafe and got meals there...But when i wasn't in work i'd nearly all the time have a subway for lunch and dinner (got up too late for beakfast) apart from the odd time where i's get a falafel sandwich for dinner...

So back to Subway, i would eat the subway diet and when i had come back to Ireland i had lost just under 2 stone, so that may answer the gramms of fat issue. I was eating, tuna w/cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickle, shredded carrots and ranch sauce, oh and these are 6 inch subs by the way... And this weight loss was not much to do with excersize as well...

As for the bread, it's baked in the place fresh in an oven and all the veg are freshly chopped that morning and surplus is stored throughout the day in the fridge under the counter.

As you can guess, i must have ****in loved subway, it always tasted so good, made fresh, right in front of your eyes, you could choose what the hell you wanted in it and it was so cheap!

I dunno, if you've heard about the Jared fella over in the States? Well Subway have started a marketing campaign with this guy called Jared. What happened was Jared was a fat guy, always was since he was a kid, and he decided to go on this diet of Subway, 6 inch turkey sub for lunch and a 12 inch turkey for dinner. I don't know what weight he was but going by my mental image was probably about 22 stone, more i'd say... So he wrote to Subway telling them about how great the Subs helped him lose weight with excersize... He guy lost quite a lot of weight, he's not skinny now but he is a lot thinner that he used to be!

Anyway, GO ON SUBWAY YOU BUNCH OF HEROES!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I always get the exact same thing at Subway.

Hearty Italian bread with Chicken and bbq sauce.

It's not overly good for you, but it is miles better then eating in McDonalds or Supermacs.

Advertisement